Sol Education Abroad participants Sol Education Abroad participants

Sol Education Abroad: Study Abroad in Granada, Spain

Just go!

If you're reading this, the idea to study abroad is at least in the back of your mind. The best advice I can give is to "just do it". Don't question it. Make it happen. SOL Education Abroad gave me the experience of a life time. A semester full of mind opening travels, amazing new friends, and an experience in a different culture. I am so so so grateful for everything I got from my study abroad with SOL and I wouldn't trade a second of it.

Sol study abroad, spring 2016 Granada

SOL exceeded my every expectation from the moment I arrived in Granada. Studying abroad was a life changing experience that I would not change for anything and SOL made that possible! I would highly recommend this program because everything from my host family to my classes was fantastic.

My time in Granada

I was required to do a study abroad as part of my degree plan for my major. I knew I wanted to go to Europe and study Spanish. This left me with one choice, Spain. I began the research process to determine which program best suited me and my needs and also which programs had the best reviews. I did not know that much about the study abroad process and was a little anxious to say the least. I decided to attend the study abroad fair at my university, which is where I first came across SOL. I talked with the representative for a few minutes and he intrigued my interest in the program. I also reached out to a family member who had done a study abroad the previous summer to Costa Rica with SOL. My cousin had travelled with SOL and had nothing except excellent things to say about her experience overall. I did some more intensive research into SOL and came to the decision that SOL met what I was looking for financially and as an overall program. I applied and immediately the main office in Austin reached out to me to help me through the pre-travel steps. The customer service was excellent and it did everything to make my experience a great one. I called the main office several times throughout that Spring semester before I left, asking for help on various things such as course preferences and those set of paper we had to fill out with host family information and everything. The SOL representatives would always answer my questions quickly and even went as far as to provide their own advice on how they did their study abroad. There is only one thing that really bothered me about the whole experience, but looking back on the study abroad I agree with the process one hundred percent. What bothered me is that I was just thrown on a plane and was told that I would be met in Granada by the SOL director there, German. I travelled for about a day and a half; I am lucky that I have been travelling in international airports since I was fourteen so I was not uncomfortable, but not comfortable. It was like being thrown into a completely new world with no guidance for a minute. I arrived in Granada and German was at the airport with Taxis to take us to our host families. I had been warned that the host families did not speak English, but I had hoped for them to have a knowledge of the language. This was not the case. I arrived at the house, jet lagged and dirty, to a host mother who was trying to kiss me and we had just met. It was a culture shock and it made me feel very uncomfortable. I had been to Spain before, but this was completely different. I was not visiting Spain as a tourist, I was living there as an honorary citizen. I was thrust into this new world where I had no clue what the social norms were, and this bothered me at the time. As a reminisce on the experience, this complete culture shock and immersion is exactly what I needed. In about a week I had figured out the main part of Granada and was even venturing to the non-central parts of the city. My confidence in a foreign country was growing and I felt more at home everyday. I was lucky to have so many people from Texas A&M there as well, it was a nice sense of home. I did not realize just how much I had grown as a person until we made the weekend trip to Seville and Cordoba. We were touring the castle in Seville and I told our director that I was going to the restroom before we left. He looked at me right in the eye and said, "Vaya que estas bien." I was not even gone two minutes and they had left me behind. I came back to an empty courtyard and had only one thought, "Is the Starbucks still open?" I had been left behind and all I thought about was some hot chocolate, even though it was about ninety five degrees outside. Two and half weeks before that trip, and I probably would have freaked out and been on the verge of panicking. Instead I was completely comfortable with my surroundings and found wifi at Starbucks to determine where I was in relation to the hotel. I also asked a cab and the driver told me to follow the train tracks, so I did. The only thing, the driver had told me to follow the tracks in the wrong direction. I walked about a four mile circle to get back to the hotel, when I could have the other way and it been maybe a mile. I laughed about it the second I arrived at the hotel. the fact that I handled myself that well in that situation impressed me. Whenever we had free weekends, we would travel. I never felt out of place and always welcomed the challenge of figuring out a new city in record time. I would say that I mastered Madrid, Barcelona, Brussels, Seville, and Milan. The entire trip seemed to fly by. It felt like by the last day that it had only been a week since I had been in the best city in Spain. I found it hard to say goodbye to my amazing host family that did so much for me, the family dog Ron, the cobblestone streets, the old buildings mixed with newer structures, Los Italianos, and so much more. My experience is not something that I can put into direct words, even though I have tried. My experience was my own and it is something that a person has to experience, not read about or watch videos on. I am going to go back to Granada one day and I am going to take my family and friends so they can share in my experience. I believe SOL is the reason that I was able to have this amazing summer. Without SOL, I would have never been left behind in Seville or been stuck in a Barcelona airport overnight trying to go to Milan. Every aspect of SOL my experience worthwhile and has inspired me to look into the travel field as a profession after I graduate from Texas A&M. I would rank SOL as an A plus. SOL Education Abroad was the best decision I made in my college career.

Unforgettable and invaluable

Words can barely explain how much this program has positively impacted my life. My Spanish written and conversational skills improved immensely. I made lifelong friends and enjoyed complete cultural immersion with the best host family ever. It's clear that Sol cares that each and every student has an amazing experience. This program is the absolute best package for the price. I would do it all again in a heartbeat!

Study abroad in Granada, Spain

I had an absolutely incredible time on my study abroad trip through SOL! Staying with a host family was the best decision I could've made, and I loved every second of my trip. The University of Granada has a separate center for learning languages, so the building we learned in was separate and different from what I had envisioned a university being, but I nonetheless passed my courses and learned so much! I am so grateful to SOL for the incredible experience!!

Great experience

This was my second time with Sol. Overall, great experience. I got to travel throughout Europe while still getting to know Spain. My only complaint was some of the directors would talk to me in English.

Amazing!

I had the most amazing time of my life with SOL in Granada! I would go again if I could. I learned so much about the culture and about myself. I gained so much confidence in myself being on this trip.

Granada experience

I had a great experience with Sol and I would highly recommend this program! The directors are nice, informative, and very helpful. I have learned so much about culture and language. The activities are great too!

My Sol experience

I had a really fantastic experience! It's one of the best things I've ever done. The only thing I wish could be different is staying longer! Host mother was great, school was great, excursions were great! 10/10

10/10 experience

I recommend this trip to everyone! I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Granada. I lived with a host family and one roommate. We both got along great and really loved our host mom. She was hilarious and loved to cook! Her food was always delicious. She had a lovely home just a 5 minute walk away from the CLM and she lived right next to a cute cafe that I would always stop and get coffee from! My classes were wonderful and I liked all three of my professors. I attended class from 9-2 every day. The building was close to my house and an easy walk. I was in a level 5 Spanish class (with two teachers) and a conversation class. Both were great, and I learned so much. I had some homework every now and then, but never anything that was too time-consuming or difficult. When it came time for the exams, I studied hard and was a little worried about them. But after taking the exam, I realized that I was very well-prepared by my teachers and I did just fine on the test. My Spanish skills definitely improved from my month of classes, as well as just being immersed in the Spanish culture. I loved all of the excursions that we did with our program. We went on a beautiful hiking trip in the mountains, a weekend trip to a coastal city to visit the beach, horseback riding, food tasting, flamenco dance lessons and more! My favorite excursion was our trip to the Arabic Bath House. We spent an hour in the hot tubs drinking the delicious tea and even received free massages. It was great. Our tour guides, Miguel and Rocio, were very helpful and knowledgeable. In my free time, my roommate and I would explore the city, go shopping, visit coffee shops, see Spanish movies at the theater, and cook with our host mom. We had one free weekend, and we decided to travel to Paris with a small group of friends from the school. It was a wonderful trip! Overall, I would say that my time in Spain was a once-in-a-lifetime experience and something that I will never forget! I had so much fun and I learned so much. I was very impressed by the city and the program. I would highly recommend studying abroad to everybody, and I would definitely go with Sol! The administration was very well-organized and helpful. Anytime I needed help or had questions, I would e-mail or call Sol and I always received a prompt and helpful response. If I study abroad again (and I hope that I will), I will definitely go with Sol.

My year in Spain!

Being in Spain for 4 months was truly a life altering experience. I met some amazing people and my host family will always be in my heart. I know that if I were to ever go back they would let me stay with them again and welcome me with open arms. The culture I experienced in Spain and other countries that I visited was something I never thought I'd experience in my life. I'm so blessed to have had this opportunity. I've done something that most people have never done in their lives and that many wish they would have done. I urge anyone who is thinking about studying abroad to do it. Yes you'll miss your family, the food, and your friends, but you'll get a new understanding of all of this with your new life abroad. Live your life to the fullest and never hold back.

Beautiful and wonderful time abroad in Granada!

I experienced the trip of a lifetime. I could not of asked for a more amazing experience. My host family was wonderful, even 6 months later we're still talking. Granada is a beautiful town and Sol gave us the opportunities to explore it in so many ways!

The Trip of a Lifetime

Studying abroad with SOL in Granada was truly life-changing. This program immerses you directly into the Spanish culture by having you live with a host family. You get to eat true Spanish food and speak the language you are there to learn, all day every day. Classes are fun and educational, and after they are over each day, students get ample free time in the afternoons to go explore and participate in excursions. I met some incredible people on this trip and I would recommend it to anyone. I wish I could go back and do it all again.

Living and learning abroad

I can't give Sol Education Abroad enough praise for how they take care of their students. I knew I wanted an immersion experience with a host family and guidance from directors in cultural activities, and that is why I chose Sol for my two semesters abroad.
I was completely immersed in the culture in Granada, Spain, and my program directors were there to help me every step of the way. We had a thorough orientation at the beginning of the semester and had cultural activities and excursions throughout our time in Spain to help us learn about local culture and ways of life. My host family provided me with traditional meals and answered all questions I had.
Sol Education Abroad is everything I wanted in a study abroad program and then more. That's why I choose them every time!

THE BEST EXPERIENCE that I've ever had!

I studied abroad this past fall with Sol in Granada, Spain. It was my very first trip outside of the country and if I were to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing about it. I stayed with an amazing host family who welcomed my roommate (who is now one of my closest friends) and I as one of their very own children. Sol Education does an amazing job at everything they do from pairing students with great host families to helping students register for classes. It is also a very affordable program that has amazing locations, great schools, and very fun and educational excursions that I enjoyed so much!

Study Abroad

I had such a blast in Granada, Spain. I am dying to go back and experience it all again. My host family was so welcoming and loving. The teachers were so helpful and I learned so much from them. Spain is so beautiful!!

SOL is a great program

I loved everything about my experience with SOL in Granada. My home stay parents and roommate were amazing and I could not have asked for a better place to live or people to live with. I enjoyed my experience with SOL so much that I recommend it to any and all students I know looking to go abroad.

Great Time

SOL was great. Was reasonably priced and you got a lot out of it. From the beaches to the weekend trips, you get it all. You are in class a lot but the classes are pretty interesting. Overall, so fun!

I Love Spain!!!

Sol Education has to be the best program to go with. The coordinators are the most caring people in the business and the service is the best deal.

For you city life, Mirador San Nicolas, Plaza Nueva and northern Camino de Ronda is the best spot to go out

Sol Education In Granada

I fell in love with Spain after two months with Sol Education in Granada. This program incorporates not only education at la Universidad de Granada, but multiple cultural excursions in Granada and the region of Andalucia

The Best Study Abroad Program EVER!

I couldn't imagine a better study abroad program! Everything from beginning to end is perfect with Sol Education Abroad! The staff is so friendly, professional, and aware of your needs. The variety of experiences included in the programs is amazing! You definitely get more than your money's worth! My life has been changed for the better, thanks to Sol Education Abroad. In comparison with some of the other programs I've researched, Sol Education Abroad offers so much more for your money! Besides that, you can make true friends with the domestic staff and international staff! I am going on a 3rd trip with Sol this summer! I can't get enough!

Thank you for everything!

Studying Abroad In Granada

Studying abroad in Granada in July of 2010 was absolutely amazing. First of all you realize that you are in an undoubtedly gorgeous medieval Spanish town that mixes Moorish, Catholic, Jewish and Romani heritage that any history buff would love. Secondly you have to take into account the sense of adventure in living, even if only for a month like I did, amongst a new culture with different attitudes and perspectives. Thirdly you have the luxury of exploring the town on your own, meeting new people, both within your group and from the community, and seeing the fabulous sights (from the intricate cave homes of el Sacromonte to the imposing fortress of the Alhambra). I met great people here, including my host mother Pilar and her son Pablo, as well as my group members and people from the school. I tend to be rather shy when first introduced to a new setting, but by the end of the program I had become very comfortable in this environment and was very sad to leave. That being said though, my favorite part of the adventure was going out and exploring on my own. I love history, especially the Moorish/Spanish medieval history, and so took much delight in exploring the back streets and main streets of Granada, and my trips to Cordoba and Malaga. I also greatly improved my knowledge of the Spanish language, although I wish I had spoken Spanish more often amongst my group and classmates. I definitely plan to return to this area of the world sometime, and hopefully that sometime is soon. Thank you. :)

Sol Education Abroad Is The Best Program Out There!

When speaking with students in other programs, ours clearly was the best and the best price. We got to do a lot more excursions and activities than everyone else but still paid less.

INCREDIBLE!

It is a great experience that will make you learn the language while having the best time of your life. The way the program is designed and organized with the different activities and excursions, there’s no way you wouldn't enjoy it.

This Program Changed My Life!

Through Sol Education Abroad, you have the opportunity to grow in so many ways especially in terms of getting the chance to experience/do things you never thought you would do and developing your skills with the Spanish language.