Sol Abroad: High School Study Abroad Program in Mexico
Sol Abroad participants Sol Abroad participants

Sol Abroad: High School Study Abroad Program in Mexico

Great experience

My daughter thoroughly enjoyed the program. I only wish she could have stayed longer. The extra-curricular activities were better than advertised, and I loved getting all the photos of her exploring Oaxaca. Her confidence and Spanish improved immensely.

Oaxaca 2016

My 15 year old daughter attended Sol Abroad in Oaxaca for 3 weeks. She entered the program not speaking a word of Spanish. By the end of the program she felt comfortable enough in the language and culture to negotiate taxi fares in Spanish. She loved the city of Oaxaca and all that it had to offer. She was housed with another student and two other girls were across the street. The four of them were at ease walking to and from the University campus as well as around Oaxaca when they had free time. Overall a wonderful experience to learn the language and culture.

Oaxaca teen trip

This was our first experience with our daughter studying abroad. Sol Abroad was an excellent program from beginning to end. It was easy to make the trip flexible for our high school age child and I sincerely appreciated the detailed pre-trip instructions and assistance, as well as the regular and up to date information while our child was abroad. Our daughter's connecting flight was delayed in another country and I was immediately contacted when she arrived in Oaxaca by her program director. When there were issues in country or changes in the study program, I was notified immediately. Our daughter's host family was excellent. Meals were nutritious and plentiful. Her accommodations were clean and spacious. She felt cared for and safe at all times. While on a study excursion, she began to feel ill. She was escorted by her Director back to her host family, where they cared for her like family. The study immersion program at the University was excellent, as well. Classes were well designed and gave her a great opportunity to expand her spoken language and a greater understanding of the cultural of Oaxaca. We would definitely recommend Sol Abroad for anyone looking to study abroad.

• Personal Development

Experience of a lifetime!

My daughter attended all sessions in Oaxaca in the summer of 2016. It was the experience of a lifetime for her! She is nearly fluent in Spanish and not a day goes by when we don't hear about something she experienced or learned in Oaxaca. She still keeps in touch with some of her friends there and her host mom. Accommodations were top-notch; host family became her family. Instruction really helped with her progress toward fluency. Program staff was very helpful; they helped her with some medical issues and also assisted her with a screen replacement for her iPhone. Cultural immersion was good; I would encourage the program to develop more activities for students who stay for more than one session, as she repeated some things 2 or 3 times. She would like to return next Summer, but unless the activities have changed substantially we will probably look into other programs or locations. It was amazing to see how independent she had become when she returned home. Overall, I would recommend the program!

Wonderful Experience for a High School Student

Our son spent four weeks in Oaxaca in the summer of 2015. He loved the food, other students, his host family, the classes, and excursions. We were extremely satisfied and highly recommend Sol Abroad.

Life changing decision

Sol Abroad is a program that changed my life, a study abroad program that I will never forget and always be able to thank for an introduction into a different lifestyle, an incredible new culture and another language. My time in Mexico taught me not only how to try new things and accept new ideas, but also how to experience everything to its fullest potential and truly treasure every moment. I spent a month in Mexico with some of the most incredible people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. These people were able to teach me about the inside of the city. My host family demonstrated overwhelming hospitality and generosity and not one negative thought passed my mind in the entirety of my trip. If I had the chance to do it again, I would do it a thousand times exactly the same way. I love Oaxaca and I love Sol Abroad for giving me the opportunity of a lifetime. My Spanish improved in bounds and the satisfaction of having a legitimate conversation with someone in a language foreign to my own is the most rewarding experience imaginable. If anyone ever questions if studying abroad is the right choice, my answer is YES YES YES and go with Sol Abroad. They are easy to work with, respond to all of your questions in a timely matter and they will accommodate all of your needs quickly and efficiently.

My Experience with Sol Abroad Oaxaca

I traveled with Sol Abroad Oaxaca for the first three weeks of August this year. I had a fantastic time: my family was very friendly, the food was delicious, and there was a group cultural activity every afternoon. Additionally, I had sufficient down time to explore Oaxaca on my own. My only complaint is that I found the Spanish classes to be to easy. I would have preferred more challenging classes.

Simply wonderful

Know that sol abroad does a phenomenal job in showing you a new culture. I've learned so much about Mexican culture while I've been here. My Spanish has taken leaps and bounds from the constant practice. I've also learned phrases in Spanish that only native Spanish speakers would know. When I first arrived everyone was nervous and shy, but now no one wants to leave. I've made great friends who I plan to keep in touch with. In addition to friends from the program, I've met many locals who are not only kind beyond belief but have made conversing in Spanish second nature to me. From the fantastic teachers at the university to the wide array of culture activities, I can honestly say I have no regrets about my study abroad experience.

• Facilities

A leg up

International experience is the greatest option you can pursue, not only for your acedmic career, but your personal development. The leasons you learn while abroad will go with you for the rest of your life in whatever career you choose. We are living in an increasingly global world and is important more than ever to have knowladge and experience beyond your own country borders. Sol Abroad has given me this knowladge and eperience to a level, I did not expect, and I am excited to see where this experience will take me. The culture in Latin America is like none other. Your stay with a host family will be the most rewarding part of your trip as the family will make you feel like you are part of their family not simply a guest. Sol Education's program had the perfect mix of academic education, guided cultural adventures, while still giving you plenty of time to explore the culture and country on your own.

Daughter in Oaxaca

This was my daughter's first travel experience alone. She loved the trip and felt completely safe and comfortable while in Mexico. Her host family was warm and welcoming. She very much enjoyed the food.
She returned home much more confident in speaking Spanish to people. Worthwhile trip.

• Facilities

Adventure of a Lifetime

I can not put into words the joy that I have gained through this study abroad experience. I have explored a new place, have met lifelong friends, and have made some fantastic memories-- all while learning loads of Spanish. The program that SOL Education offers is the perfect balance of culture, academics, and fun. I would highly recommend SOL to anyone hoping to advance their Spanish abilities, no matter where you are starting from.