Sol Abroad: High School Study Abroad Program in Costa Rica
Sol Abroad participants Sol Abroad participants

Sol Abroad: High School Study Abroad Program in Costa Rica

Life changing experience

My daughter went to Oaxaca after her freshmen year in high school, and then to Atenas after her sophomore year in high school. We have been so happy with this program, that she is set to go to Spain next summer! I have been pleased with Sol Abroad every step of the way.

While I wouldn't have changed anything about the trips for my daughter, looking back...I would have probably sent her to Costa Rica the first time and Oaxaca the 2nd time. Costa Rica was more 'fun' experience, and Oaxaca was a more 'cultural' experience.

• Personal Development

Fantastic experience - gap year is a great time to go!

My daughter went as a senior in high school. I was very apprehensive as she was, by far, the youngest person in her program. Not to worry, Janiva found exactly the right host mother and roommate for her. And Janiva made sure she was safe at all times. The structure of the program, with its emphasis on cultural experiences and travel within the country, was perfect! My daughter learned so much about other cultures and peoples that she could never have learned in a classroom. I would recommend this experience to any college student as well as mature high school students who are ready to see more of the world.

• Personal Development

Great summer cultural immersion experience

My 16 year old daughter had a fantastic time on the Costa Rica Spanish immersion program last summer. We found the front office incredibly responsive, helpful and easy to work when we were evaluating the program and when we ultimately signed up. We chose Sol Abroad because of the home stay, spanish classes that focused on conversation in a fun setting, and cultural immersion opportunities. Sol Abroad was by far the best program I could find in Central or Latin America, and we loved their emphasis a full cultural experience. My daughter's home stay family was loving and kind. Her classes were fun and entertaining. And she enjoyed all of the excursions and various baking, sports, activities. She also loved her free time and the fact that they weren't booked and organized every minute of the day. This gave her some independence she was craving. Highly recommend Sol Abroad!

Wonderful!

Great classes. Great food. Great teachers. Great people. Great country. Great trips. Everything was absolutely fantastic. I had an absolutely wonderful time and would do it all over again if I could.

• Facilities

I Didn't Want To Go Home!

I improved my Spanish so much, and learned how to adapt to a different way of life. I loved the freedom of being able to go to town with friends, and I also loved the tourist attractions.

4 Thumbs Up!!

The program was great. It was very fun and interesting. It mixes cultural immersion and learning perfectly. The people are great. The host families, friends and directors you meet are all interesting and excited and it makes the whole program amazing. The excursions are awesome and interesting making the experience very enjoyable on all levels. I would recommend this program to all who are interested in studying abroad. This is a program you´ll cherish and I am very appreciative that I participated in it.

It Was Top Notch.

This program was an outstanding opportunity. Although it was challenging at times I was able to work through these challenges and benefit my Spanish while having an amazing time. Living with a Costa Rican family allows you to be fully emerged in the culture and fully benefit. You have no choice but to practice your Spanish all day. The classes that are offered everyday have wonderful teachers that accommodate to your needs and influence your grammar. I recommend this program to all.

Epic

This program was so wonderful all the excursions were beautiful and the directors are so nice it was a really great experience.

Very Good

I have to say that i did not expect very good things coming into this trip. I had expected a very negative and awful experience. Little did I know that I would be very pleased and happy with the trip and the people involved. My directors were always very nice and helpful, the teachers were all very experienced and the activities and excursions were simply phenomenal.

This Program Was Wavey

This program was awesome and gave me a great sense of what life is like for the typical Costa Rican person. My only complaint is there is a lot of time on your own with your host family.

The Epitome Of Great

There were so many great things on this trip that I could go on and on about- the food, the locals, the town, the school, the weather- but there were two things that were by far the best. The first best thing was the new perspective I got. Living in a small town, it´s easy to forget and not understand the entire world going on around you. But with this trip, it really gave me a perspective of different towns, countries, cultures, ways of life, all of it. Now, I´ve got a travelling bug- I want to go everywhere and see new things and meet new people. I love the freedom and understanding this trip gave me. While the perspective was great, my favorite thing BY FAR were the people. I never thought coming into this trip that I would make amazing friends, but somehow I did. The friends I've made are some of the most interesting and fun people I´ve ever met, and I adore each and every one of them.

I LOVE Spain!

Helping out teaching English at a local school was the most memorable experience I have from studying abroad.

I chose the program because of the great deal and the extended period of stay (4 months).

I stayed with a family and they were very nice to me

• Personal Development

Costa Rica experience for my daughter

My daughter had nothing but good things to say about her experience in Costa Rica. She enjoyed the program, the country, her fellow classmates and her host family. She went without knowing anything but fortunately she enjoyed her group. From an administrative standpoint, the Sol Abroad staff was helpful and informative throughout the whole process. Being able to see the daily pictures on Facebook was great. It was something we checked on and looked forward to every day.

Fun summer program

Our 16 year old daughter participated in the summer program. We extended a normal program for one more week for a total of 4 weeks. Easy to extend and create your own timing for arrivals and departures. Administration and staff wonderful, easy to work with. Rebecca loved her time in Costa Rica. She had a great time with the other exchange students, loved seeing the country and learning about the culture. My only negative is that living with other exchange students from the US made speaking English more available and easy for her. I would have liked her to be more immersed in having to speak spanish. Though I will say that her Spanish speaking skills did improve, and her confidence in speaking Spanish was greatly improved.

2 weeks in Costa Rica

I decided to do an immersion program with Sol Abroad last summer because I wanted to get better at Spanish before I took AP Spanish this year and I love traveling. I was nervous to be traveling alone for the first time, but Maria and Orlando were so nice and helpful that they made it very easy and comfortable for everyone. I learned a lot in the Spanish classes, but I really benefitted from staying with a host family because that is where you can have real conversations with people just in Spanish. I made some amazing friends on the trip and still keep in touch with many of them, including my host sister. Spanish immersion is really the best way to learn and get comfortable with Spanish and I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants a truly unforgettable experience.

My son's experience

My son had an amazing time and a great experience. All of the staff were courteous, inclusive, and helpful. The program had a great balance of academics, cultural immersion, and sightseeing fun! The white-water rafting was amazing, he said. His family was wonderful and made him feel at home. He said the home cooking was great!

Great trip

i really enjoyed this program i thought three weeks was a good amount of time for me. The program leaders were nice. The bus was by far my favorite part of the trip. I also really enjoyed the beach and everything about the Manuel Antonio weekend trip.

Costa Rica Summer 2015

Our daughter had a fantastic experience in the program. She has been in dual language throughout her schooling,the program and experience showed her how valuable dual language is. We highly recommend.

Loved it!

I loved this trip and everything about it! I learned a lot about Costa Rica's culture and some colloquial terms along the way. Pura vida was a commonly used term and I loved to use it! I also made some great friends and we still keep in contact.

A New Experience

I learned how to speak Spanish more fluidly. I got to witness many amazing sights that not many have the chance to see. I was fully immersed in the culture.

One Of The Best Summers I Have Ever Had

This has been one of the best summers i have ever had.The locals are nice, the weather is almost perfect, and the food is tasty. My host mom was so nice and caring, she was always there when I needed her. The directors were very funny and easy to talk to. White water rafting was probably the best part of this whole trip. I suggest people join this program because it is so different from what we are used to in the States.

Great Times!

This program really helped me improve my confidence and speaking skills. I made many friends and got a chance that not many people can get!

Sol Abroad Was Great!

Sol Abroad was an amazing program for people interested in increasing their Spanish in a fun, welcoming environment.

Costa Rican Adventure

The Sol Abroad High School program is filled with great people. The directors, the teachers, the families, and the students all are incredible. The cultural immersion is sublime. The community of Atenas is very welcoming and safe, and it is easy to interact with the locals. The excursions are unforgettable. Each one is better than the next. Zip lining and white water rafting are definitely experiences that everyone should have. I love SOL ABROAD.

FUNNNN!!!!

Sol Abroad in Atenas is something you will never forget!