Psychology Internships Abroad - Sri Lanka
SLV.Global SLV.Global

Psychology Internships Abroad - Sri Lanka

Most memorable experience of my life

Coming to write this review, I feel speechless. If I was to describe my experience in short hand, the answer is - I can't. I spent 10 weeks working in this BEAUTIFUL country. Yes, it is a third world country and yes, you may not have the comforts of 'home' but you begin to immerse yourself and love that you have what you NEED; nothing more or less. The like minded people that you meet and the friendly locals that you come across make you feel nothing less than family.

I was so welcomed by the Sri Lankan community - everyone cares! They say hello, they help you if you look lost! They are just really caring people and if you were ever having a bad day, you will be guaranteed a local to smile at you and make it all better again.

With regards to the placement, it was eye opening to witness the mental health care in Sri Lanka, who have a very different cultural perspective. It was a good opportunity as each day would focus on different aspects of mental health e.g. Tuesday's would focus on psychiatric wards and mental health hospitals, Wednesdays would focus on special needs, Thursdays would focus on teaching English and so on.

It was also a really great opportunity as they gave us a range of fieldtrips to go on as well! These included having one to one sessions with specialists to give us some more insight into the treatments of mental health in Sri Lanka! One which I loved the most was going up north to see a psychologist and shadowing him throughout his day, going to different clinics to see so many service users!

Given the amount of time I'd spent there, I felt at times that I was ready to go home but there was always that part of me that kept me going as well. Knowing how rewarding the whole placement was and how many things I'd learnt made me appreciate the fact that I was even able to help out such a great deal! What I say is, if you are lucky enough to be there, make the most of it! Because when you come back and get on with your day to day life again, you'll realise how special that place really was!

Of course, travelling the country was an amazing benefit to this placement but I feel extremely proud of myself to have done this all on my own! And with great pride and a massive smile on my face , I will write on my CV that I had volunteered for SLV for 3 months. It is my greatest achievement and most memorable experience of my life and I will definitely come back!

• SLV.Global responded to this review October 12, 2017 at 3:40 AM

Thank you for your lovely review, Kiran! We are glad to hear you enjoyed the projects as well as the community immersion. We loved having you on the team and really appreciate your commitment while on placement. Please keep in touch and best of luck for the future!

Amazing five weeks

What an amazing five weeks I have just had. I can't believe it is already over. From day one you will be immersed into the Sri Lankan way of life and you will meet so many like-minded people who have similar goals and aspirations, which is very inspiring and motivating.

I enjoyed every single project I was placed on, from the psychiatric facilities, to SEN Centres, to teaching English in the community. Although they could be challenging, it was rewarding to see the difference SLV.Globals work was making to every service user.

As a psychology graduate I found it very hard to apply for many desirable jobs due to not having enough experience and therefore signed up to this placement as a means to get more hands on experience, particularly in psychiatric facilities. I have only been back a week and have posted my CV on a few job websites and there has already been a lot of interest over the volunteer work I did in Sri Lanka. It really is a fantastic talking point for job applications and interviews.

I will never forget the experience, the friends, staff or service users I met. Thank You.

• SLV.Global responded to this review October 12, 2017 at 3:42 AM

HI Luisa, thanks so much for your feedback. It's great to hear you enjoyed the projects and found them rewarding. We loved having you on the team and wish you the best of luck for the future. Please keep in touch!

A chance in life!

One of the best decisions I have taken ever! I will do it hundred times again; it was such an awesome life and work experience!!! yeah!! will be back one day guys :P hahaha

• SLV.Global responded to this review October 09, 2017 at 7:12 AM

Thanks for writing review Sonia! We would absolutely love to have you back on the team in the future! All the best!

Psychology 5 weeks placement Sri Lanka

It is definitely one of the best placement that I have ever been on. I've learnt new things everyday throughout the whole 5 weeks and the support SLV provided was amazing. Even though the price was slightly expensive but i would still recommend people to join regardless. This placement without a doubt is worth applying for.

• SLV.Global responded to this review October 09, 2017 at 7:10 AM

Thanks for the review YenZhong! We're glad you had a good time out on placement, and we wish you all the best for the future!

Level 1 mental health voluntary placement Sri Lanka

The whole experience was incredible. The projects themselves, though tricky at times were very rewarding and allowed you to not only make a difference in service users lives but also see the cultural difference in the mental health sector between more western and eastern cultures. There were fascinating workshops available which highlighted these cultural differences and gave an insight into other issues in Sri Lanka (such as suicide and special needs). Moreover, by living in a local home stay in a more rural area of the country it not only allowed you to immerse yourself in the culture in a way that you would never be able to do if you visited the country on a holiday. Furthermore having the weekends to yourselves it allowed you to visit other parts of the beautiful country and see what it all has to offer. Doing this for 5 weeks made you so close to other volunteers and leaves you with friends for life. All in all I was devastated to leave and would do it all again in a heart beat

• SLV.Global responded to this review October 09, 2017 at 5:53 AM

Thanks for sharing your experiences Kate! We're glad you enjoyed your placement and we would like to thank you for all of the hard work that you put into the projects! We wish you all the best for the future, and please keep in touch!

Sri Lanka placement

I find it hard to really express what this 5 week placement was like. I feel like I gained so much in terms of life and work experiences that I came back a completely different person. The projects were all so different from one another, it really gave me the opportunity to see many different aspects of mental health and of the local life, and it also helped making each day unique and different, so the placement never got boring!
The SLV team there was incredibly supportive and made everything go smoothly from the very first day, and to answer every question we could think of.

• SLV.Global responded to this review October 06, 2017 at 5:59 AM

Hi Tatiana! Thank you so much for your lovely review. We're so glad you enjoyed your experience in Sri Lanka and loved having you as part of the team. Keep in touch!

The most educational experience of my life

It is difficult to find the words to describe this experience. I could use "gratitude" for staters, or "growth", but it'd still not suffice to describe the uniqueness of working in Sri Lanka in my own field. In my homestay I was popular for using motivational catch phrases, and everybody's favourite one was "stretch a muscle" as in a psychological and emotional muscle, so I'm gonna settle for describing this experience as one that has stretched many muscles I did not know I had. The country is beautiful, vivacious and warm as it is its people; the homestay was incredible, colourful, ancient and surrounded by nature, we were blessed with a gorgeous view for breakfast every day; everything was simple compared to european standards (some would say) but nevertheless comfortable, cosy and welcoming, food was great as so was the family who looked after us. Our Amma (mother) treated us all as if we were her own children, there always good food and good laughter around the table and the house, and I have made some friends for life. We worked Monday to Friday and had the weekends to explore. The Slv Team was incredibly supportive as it was our peer mentor Charlotte, she never failed to catch up with our progress and how we were coping. The projects I was involved in have opened my eyes and educated me in a way that only working in the field can do for you. We were given this great opportunity to visit Psychiatric facilities, to work with adults and children, to teach, and to have a real feel of what it is like to be a mental heath practitioner. I would surely recommend and love to do it again. Slv.Global are absolute Rockstars. If you are an open minded person looking for experience, and I mean real experience, this placement is the one for you. I came back home to England feeling more confident about my future, more prepared for whats to come, and yes I have stretched many psychological muscles and I feel great about it.

N. S. G.

• SLV.Global responded to this review October 06, 2017 at 5:20 AM

Thank you for your glowing review, N! It sounds like you were a valued member of the team and we love your catch phrase 'stretch a muscle!'. Do keep in touch and we wish you all the best of luck with the future!

Possibly the best 5 weeks ever

From the start I didn't feel too anxious about arriving as there was so much helpful information about the placement online about what to pack and what to expect. When I arrived there was someone there to welcome me, sort out a Sri Lankan phone and take me straight to my home stay, where a peer mentor was waiting at the front door. Throughout the whole five weeks organisation was great, the projects were challenging but I never felt uncomfortable with what I was doing and the supervisors/permanent team members were always around for advice. The team were also great for organising socials and other fun activities. Absolutely nothing negative to say about the placement.

• SLV.Global responded to this review October 03, 2017 at 5:54 AM

Thank you so much for your lovely review! We are so glad you felt fully informed and guided through your experience in Sri Lanka, and we greatly appreciate your hard work! Best of luck for the future, please keep in touch.

Performing arts/ mental health supervisor

I volunteered in 2015 with SLV and it was an incredible experience. Initially I was supervising and the Performing Arts pilot in the south of Sri Lanka, and then moved over to Horana/Bandaragama to supervise mental health, special needs, and teaching projects there. Although there were many challenging situations, I always felt supported by the SLV Team. I was made to feel part of the family and made some very special friends who I miss seeing every day. I was lucky enough to stay in a few different homestays, all of which were comfortable and safe, with amazing food! I am still in touch with the first family I stayed with...the Sri Lankan people are the kindest people I have ever met. SLV do incredible work, I would not hesitate to recommend others to volunteer with them. I had never done anything like this before and had a few doubts and worries, but I am SO glad I decided to do it. I totally fell in love with Sri Lanka and will definitely be back one day, it has a very special place in my heart.

• SLV.Global responded to this review October 03, 2017 at 8:38 AM

Thank you for your lovely review! We really appreciate your work on the placement, and would love to welcome you back soon! It's fantastic to hear you are still in touch with the family. Best of luck for the future, please keep in touch!

Excellent experience

The staff at SLV Global are amazing and could not have provided a better way of seeing the Sri Lankan culture, they help with so much! It is a beautiful country and you get to live right in the community with local people.

There is such a range of volunteer projects throughout the week and I have memories of service users and staff that will stay with me for years to come. I learned so much on this trip and developed my skills in ways I couldn't have imagined. It has made me love psychology even more and I feel so inspired by the people I met.

• SLV.Global responded to this review October 02, 2017 at 9:42 AM

Thank you for lovely review, Ellie! You were amazing and we loved having you on the team. We wish you the best of luck for all future endeavours! Please keep in touch and let us know if we can help with anything.

SLV for me

SLV Global offers its volunteers so much more than just the mental health placements. SLV offers volunteers an opportunity to immerse themselves in a culture very different to what they're used to, to connect with people from all over the world and to travel around a beautiful country whilst creating memories they'll never forget. I am so grateful to SLV for my time in Sri Lanka - it is my proudest achievement to date. Not only did I develop on the skills I need for a career in psychology, I made some friends for life and even upped my spice tolerance - no more lemon and herb for me! I'd recommend the experience to everyone and anyone :)

• SLV.Global responded to this review October 02, 2017 at 8:04 AM

Thank you for writing such a lovely review, Chloe. It was a pleasure to have you on the team and we are pleased to know that you were able to gain so much from your experience including your tolerance for spicy food! Please keep in touch and let us know if we can help with anything.

Life changer!

I've been back from Sri Lanka for about a month now, and I still think about the experience everyday. SLV allowed me to gain so much life and work experience in the 10 weeks I was away to which I am so grateful. You are completely immersed in the culture in the best way possible and there are different types of projects that you volunteer at which really help to add to the experience of helping so many people. Traveling at weekends was just an added bonus too. Sri Lanka made me do things I never thought I could do and made me a much stronger person than I ever thought I could be, and honestly it has changed my life in the best way possible. There was unlimited amount of support there from staff to other volunteers and you really grew into a little family. I truly look forward to going back.

• SLV.Global responded to this review September 29, 2017 at 4:17 AM

Thank you for your lovely review, Natalie! I'm so glad that you had such an amazing time in Sri Lanka and that it has allowed you to develop as a person. Please keep in touch and we would always welcome you back!

5 week mental health placement in Sri Lanka.

This Summer, Shannon Winslade (3rd year psychology student) spent five weeks of her summer holiday volunteering with the SLV organisation in Sri Lanka, shadowing psychiatrists, teaching English and providing creative and physical therapy to the local community. It was extremely challenging and at times overwhelming to see just how much support mental health services really need in order to help individuals in their over all wellbeing and place in society.
We spent five days travelling the local area to schools, temples and community projects delivering our pre planned lessons with little resources but a lot of enthusiasm. It was amazing to see how much these individuals cared about wanting to learn and gain an education in order to get a better opportunity in life. This is something which vastly contrasted to my English upbringing where school seemed like a burden and you didn't even think to question other people in the world not even getting the lessons I did. In addition my time at the local schools, we also took part in social initiatives for children with disabilities and taught English in the local community. Not only that, we spent once a week in psychiatric hospitals with patients who had a range of disorders. Although engagement differed, it seemed simple communication with people they had never met before really helped, they would try and teach us Sinhala whilst we taught them how to write in English. Or they'd make us play a massive game of cricket and win every single time! I was completely shocked when I first arrived in Sri Lanka having never left Europe and not really prepared myself for what I was getting myself in for, it definitely takes a while to adjust. But it was completely worth it, I could not recommend this placement enough. You get to travel the most beautiful country in your weekends and then learn some life changing skills in the week.
As a psychology student, it is very hard to get psychological placements where you get such hands on experience into psychiatric hospitals and developing preventative methods for students and local community members so they do not suffer in society. SLV opened this huge door to allow us to get the opportunity to gain this experience whilst making friends and memories along the way. And of course I'll be back.

• SLV.Global responded to this review September 29, 2017 at 3:27 AM

Thank you for such a lovely review, Shannon! It was lovely to read about your time in Sri Lanka, it seems that you have really learnt a lot and had some incredible experiences! We would love to have you back on the team so stay in touch!

Lanka lovin'

Summing up my 5 weeks in Sri Lanka is very difficult. SLVglobal were amazing, they really helped us get immersed in the culture and ensured we made the most of our short time there. Our homestay family was so welcoming, I honestly couldn't have asked for more.

• SLV.Global responded to this review September 28, 2017 at 5:01 AM

Thanks for your review Lottie, and thank you for all the hard work that you put into the projects! We wish you all the best for the future, and please keep in touch!

An experience of a lifetime

My overall experience of my time in Sri Lanka was honestly unforgettable. I enjoyed every placement I did, they were so eye opening and heart warming. I met the most amazing people and saw the most beautiful places. I don’t think I will ever get a chance to see a third world country in the same way again, living with a Sri Lankan family is a very lucky experience and I learnt so much. It was the best experience I’ve ever had!

• SLV.Global responded to this review September 28, 2017 at 4:02 AM

Thank you for sharing your experiences Melissa! We are glad that you enjoyed your time out on placement, and we wish you all the best for the future!

Mental health placement

This was undoubtedly one of the best experiences of my life. I spent 4 weeks volunteering in Sri Lanka and I left so enriched and open minded and gained so many new experiences and memories. I'd recommend to anyone, and I'd love to go again!

• SLV.Global responded to this review September 27, 2017 at 3:18 AM

Thank you so much for your wonderful review, Rachel! We're so glad you gained so many new experiences and memories. Keep in touch!

The best experience!

I volunteered in Sri Lanka for 5 weeks this summer and honestly before I went I was so nervous and started to regret even applying. When I got there, from the first night I knew everything would be fine, everyone was so welcoming, the house I was staying at was so much better than I was expecting and all my nerves had gone! The next five weeks went on to be the best of my life! The projects I was placed on were so rewarding and actually fun to run and be involved in. I visited some of the most beautiful places I have ever been to in my whole life while travelling on the weekends.
For me, the best part was the experience I gained while out in Sri Lanka and also the people I met out there! I can honestly say I have made friends for life on this experience and it has honestly meant the world to me. Going from not even wanting to go anymore to when the five weeks were up checking my bank account and flights to see if I could extend my placement!
Thank you SLV!

• SLV.Global responded to this review September 26, 2017 at 7:14 AM

Such a lovely review, Trudy! It sounds like you had an amazing time in Sri Lanka and it is great to hear that you have made some friends for life! Good luck with everything in the future!

Sweat, glitter and tears of laughter: 5 weeks in Sri Lanka

When I signed up for five weeks volunteering in Sri Lanka, I didn't really know what to expect. I was worried about meeting the other volunteers, how I was going to teach a classroom of Sri Lankan children and whether I could handle that much curry. As soon as I arrived, my first worry disappeared. Everyone was so friendly - despite the jet lag - and made me feel at ease straight away. I was also unsure what the homestay would be like, and had pictured a dorm-style room with an outdoor shower and no western toilet. However, the home was beautiful: I was only sharing a room with two people and the shower was inside! (And yes, the toilet was Western). One of my favourite things about the placement was the opportunity to live with the Sri Lankan family, who were kind, interesting and so, so funny. In my homestay there were 10 volunteers, 6 of us who had arrived together and 4 girls who had been there for a few weeks already. It was great to have the support of of our little family.

Orientation week was a blur of getting to know the volunteers, the staff, visiting projects and, yes, eating curry. (Which was actually very nice) By the end of the week, I was getting used to the heat and the crowded buses, and I was equipped with the tools to plan own lessons and activities. During the next month, my role was to promote mental wellbeing through creative sessions, whilst challenging the stigma attached to mental illness through engaging with service users. Each week, I completed two psychiatric ward visits, three special needs projects and three English teaching projects, each about two hours long. The ward visits were the most challenging, but could also be the most rewarding. Engaging service users in ball games, crafts and dancing gave them some much needed creative therapy. Providing this stimulation was so important for their wellbeing and recovery, and however tough the conditions, it was clear that our presence made a difference to their day. The special needs projects usually resulted in being covered in glitter, pom poms and exhausted from dancing. Working with those service users was hilarious and always put me in a good mood, from their sense of humour to their dance moves to an insistence of gluing googly eyes on every piece of paper they could find. Finally, I overcame my fear of a classroom of children, and delivered some fun and interactive English lessons. We gave the children opportunities to practice their speaking skills and to learn in a different way. These kids were endlessly curious and full of energy. They were willing to learn and engage in a way that really impressed me and I always left feeling good about what we'd achieved together.

The five weeks went by far too fast, with extra workshops, a psychology conference and travels around the country on the weekend, as well as the projects. I would recommend this placement to just about anyone. You don't need to be studying psychology or have ambitions of being a teacher - I really believe that the skills and experiences gained are ones that are useful for anybody. Although some patience and creativity is required, it is most useful to come ready to learn - from the staff, other volunteers and service users. Most importantly, anyone can be an ambassador for mental health. The skills I've learnt through my five weeks I will take back with me to university and carry with me for the rest of my life. I am lucky to have met so many wonderful people and to be able to work so positively in an amazing new country.

• SLV.Global responded to this review September 25, 2017 at 8:07 AM

Joanna! Thank you so much for a lovely review! It is great to hear about the new skills you have developed and how your confidence as a teacher has built! Also, the squad pictures are fab! Keep in touch!

Beautiful Sri Lanka

My time in Sri Lanka is a memory that will never fade. It was such an eye-opening, life-enhancing experience and the beauty of Sri Lanka's culture and people made it even more wonderful.
The volunteering placement was immersive, active and so much fun. There were various projects we were involved in, whether it was teaching English in the local schools, participating in arts and crafts with special needs children or assisting older adults in activity support projects, they all involved everyone and brought a smile to everyone's faces. As volunteers we can bring fresh and interesting ideas to projects and create a change in people's lives. We were able to get creative and bring new ideas and activities to the table so that service users could take them further into the future.
As well as the projects, the whole experience helped me grow as a person, as It was my first time traveling alone I was quite nervous but when I arrived, I was welcomed by a whole community of people and didn't feel alone at all. I've made friends for life and tried new experiences that I never thought I would during the weekends away, like, holding a turtle or rafting down rapids in the middle of the jungle.
I recommend this placement to anyone looking for experience in Psychology but also, to those who want to see more of the world and meet amazing people, delve into a vibrant culture and to those who just want to make a difference and create positive changes in the world.
Thank you to SLV for this life-changing experience, introducing me to friends for life and for introducing me to Sri Lanka.
I've truly left a piece of my heart over there.

• SLV.Global responded to this review September 25, 2017 at 7:36 AM

Thank you for your review, Chan! It is fantastic to hear that you have made friends for life and enjoyed every aspect of the placement! Best of luck for the future and stay in touch!

5 Week Mental Health Placement

I couldn't recommend this placement enough, not just in terms of work experience but also in terms of gaining valuable life experience. This placement not only gives you an excellent taste of working with people with an variety of backgrounds, mental health complications and special needs, but it also immerses you into a wonderfully unique culture, causing you to really open up your mind. Whilst your timetable may be pretty similar week to week, every day is so different and it truly is fantastic! I loved that every day caused me to think on my feet and get creative, and I loved the range of different people I came across. All the service users are such beautiful people, and really take a lot from the time that you dedicate to them. This placement also provided a place for me to build life long bonds with some truly amazing people, who acted as my family and support network for the five weeks that I was out in Sri Lanka. This placement will challenge you, fulfill you, make your belly laugh and maybe even make you cry, but I guarantee that doing it will be the best decision you ever make! Thanks so much again for having me SLV!

• SLV.Global responded to this review September 25, 2017 at 7:14 AM

Thank you for such a kind review, Gemma! Your photos are lovely! Hearing about the relationships you have made with fellow volunteers is fantastic and hopefully they will be long lasting. Best of luck for the future and keep in touch!

In Love with Sri Lanka

First things first, landing in Sri Lanka was breath-taking, albeit anxiety-inducing. This was my first time traveling alone and I was terrified to spend five weeks on the other side of the world in a completely different culture. However, SLV made sure we were looked after from touch-down. Their friendly staff were waiting to greet us at the airport, and the gentleman even helped us carry our bags! We were quickly whisked away to our home-stay, which, for me, would become my second home. The family I lived with were beautiful people inside and out, and I grew to love them so much. Ama (the home-stay mother) cooked us the most amazing meals, always making sure we had eaten enough, and that everyone was happy. We spent evenings playing made-up games with our mali (little brother) and planning projects. I felt so well prepared and looked after, I was never lonely or sad. The projects themselves were so fulfilling. Seeing the service users gather at the "gates" to greet us with smiles on their faces; the ones who remembered our names week after week; those who enjoyed showing us the crafts and progress they had made. It was truly life changing.

• SLV.Global responded to this review September 25, 2017 at 5:17 AM

Thank you for such a lovely review, Charlotte! It was so lovely to read about your homestay experience, we're glad you enjoyed it! Keep in touch and best of luck for the future!

Once in a lifetime experience...

SLV provides a once in a life time experience that you cannot get anywhere else. Being given the opportunity to work with vulnerable individuals provides you with an overwhelming sense of purpose. In my experience, I was able to overcome barriers that I feared I would never be equipped to deal with. My open mindedness has exceeded what it once was.

Sri Lanka is a beautiful island with a vibrant culture. However, likewise to England, mental health is a major concern. Drug treatment is the main form of treatment given to patients suffering with mental disorders. Due to the lack in facilities and financial support, patients receive little therapeutic or social interactivity. This is what makes SLV so important. SLV volunteers like myself, are given the important challenge of improving the lives of these men and women. Nothing can compare to the smiles that light up the room when they see you entering the wards. But that's just one part of the role of being an SLV Volunteer.

Other projects include: working with special needs children and adults, teaching English in schools, teaching English to adults, running stimulating activities in orphanages, shadowing psychologists and a number of workshops that help improve the understanding and experiences of those suffering from mental illness within Sri Lanka.

While doing all of this, you live, travel and eat like a Sri Lankan (which isn't that difficult when you get used to it). But that's all part of the fun!

You are supported every single step of your Sri Lankan experience. You will honestly meet some of your friends for life. The SLV staff and the nationals are amazing, and your homestay family will love you too pieces (and make you put on a kg of two).

For me, this was an amazing experience and it is something I will never forget. To understand something you have to experience it... only by doing this placement I am able to understand the importance of psychology, mental health and the impact one person can have on another's life experience.

I would strongly recommend anyone looking to gain experience within the field of mental health to participate. Particularly if your unsure of what career path you would like to proceed into, as you are given access to a number of experiences that will help you decide. Also if you want to travel the world, this is a good place to start!

I loved every minute of my placement, and I'm sure you would too!

• SLV.Global responded to this review September 25, 2017 at 4:21 AM

What a glowing review, Alia! It is great to hear about all of the new experiences that you have had whilst in Sri Lanka! We wish you well for the future and keep in touch!

Most incredible opportunity!

I had the most incredible 5 weeks in Sri Lanka on the SLV.Global Mental Health Placement. I've had the most eye-opening, humbling, and rewarding weekdays working in psychiatric hospitals and mental health facilities, teaching in schools with pupils of varying abilities, and working with individuals with special needs; all whilst living with a traditional Sri Lankan family in their home. The weekends were also unbelievable; travelling around the country experiencing things I could only ever have dreamed of, with some incredible people I can now call friends for life! SLV.Global do amazing things for the communities in Sri Lanka and it was wonderful to feel like I was truly making a difference.

• SLV.Global responded to this review September 25, 2017 at 4:03 AM

Thanks again Emily! It seems you had such a nice time you had to say it twice! I can completely understand why!

The most incredible opportunity!

I couldn't be more proud to have volunteered with such a wonderful organisation for 5 weeks in Sri Lanka. I've had the most eye-opening, humbling, and rewarding weekdays working in psychiatric hospitals and mental health facilities, teaching in schools with pupils of varying abilities, and working with individuals with special needs; all whilst living with a traditional Sri Lankan family in their home. The weekends were also unbelievable; travelling around the country experiencing things I could only ever have dreamed of, with some incredible people I can now call friends for life! I am so grateful to SLV.Global for helping to make such a profound difference to the communities in Sri Lanka and for being such a supportive and helpful organisation throughout my whole experience. Even seeing the smallest positive change in communities I attended projects with was incredible to see, and I really felt like I was making a difference. I would most definitely recommend this placement to anyone interested in Psychology or Mental Health!

• SLV.Global responded to this review September 25, 2017 at 3:51 AM

Thank you for the glowing review, Emily! It's great to hear that you enjoyed every part of the placement, we love the photo of the elephants! Stay in touch and best wishes for the future!

5 week mental health placement

I did the 5 week mental health placement in August 2017. It was such a great experience and I learned so much during my time there. It was so rewarding to see the impact that the work done by SLV has on the service users in Sri Lanka. The projects I got to work on gave me experience with individuals with special needs, individuals with mental health problems and also experience teaching English. The projects are challenging but the experience is worth it.

I would recommend this volunteering opportunity to anyone interested in psychology, and it gives you the opportunity to see Sri Lanka which is a bonus!

• SLV.Global responded to this review September 25, 2017 at 3:44 AM

Thank you so much, Katy! What a fantastic review! It is great to hear that you took on the challenge and developed so many new skills in the process! Sri Lanka is fab! Best wishes for the future!