Silk Road Start: Global Study Programs Header Image Silk Road Start: Global Study Programs Header Image

Silk Road Start: Global Study Programs

Verified
Silk Road Start: Global Study Programs

Silk Road Start: Global Study Programs Programs

China

Semester Chinese Studies

Silk Road Start Global Study Programs offers quality Chinese study programs in China's historical capital city, Xi'an, for groups and individuals. The semester program...

Save Program

Silk Road Start: Global Study Programs Reviews

A Journey of A Lifetime

Wow! Going to China through Silk Road Start was such an enjoyable and incredible experience! Their staff is very helpful in getting you acclimated to the culture, and the language and culture classes were very informative. Also, during my time there, I had no issues with communication with the staff. Plus, they were more than willing to help me out with anything I needed. The culture itself was so amazing! I was able to make lifelong friends with the students at my university. They were so welcoming and warm, and were so eager to share their lives with me. This was an experience that I will never forget, and is motivating me to reach out to the international students at my campus in the States. If you’re considering going, just put your “Yes!” on the table!

9 / 10

Unforgettable memories

I had a wonderful experience with Silk Road Start. This program gave me the opportunity to study the Chinese language and culture which are two of my favorite things! There was also a lot of flexible time to make friends and experience the culture first hand. We engaged in English Corners, took trips to various historic spots around Xi'an and made friends that I hope to maintain even back in the States. Overall, this program provided once in a life time opportunities, and created memories that I will never forget.

10 / 10

A beautiful blend of language, culture, and personal relationships

Silk Road Start provides a unique opportunity to really immerse yourself in the culture, and truly experience Xi’an, China. I’ve loved every moment here, and will return if life circumstances allow. The program is built around taking classes that educate students about Chinese culture, and encourage them to seek out personal relationships with Chinese students.
These personal relationships with students, developed outside of the classroom, provide opportunities to explore the city, practice the language you are learning in class, and even share life on a personal level. Some of the friends I have made here in Xi’an will be lifelong friends that I will continue to stay in touch with and think about.
The Silk Road Start program is organizationally sound, with great administration who are hard-working, caring, and intentional with students. The teachers are personal and take great joy in students’ desire to learn! I have been deeply blessed by my time here, and will miss the teachers, administrators, and my friends dearly when I leave.
I highly recommend this program to any student interested in studying in China!

• Facilities

High quality, customized language learning

I studied Mandarin for three semesters with Silk Road Start at Eurasia University. After studying at another school for a year and a half, I had become very frustrated that the educational environment of this other university was not fitting well with my learning style and goals. So when I heard about this program, I decided to try it out. I can honestly say that Silk Road Start was a God-send!

The teachers are patient and kind but they also have high standards and motivate their students to work hard. They listened to my classmates and me as we talked about our goals and learning styles and worked hard to make sure that their content and teaching style was relevant to our lives. I felt like the classes balanced speaking/listening and writing/reading very well. My classmates and I tended to want to focus more on speaking and listening, but our teachers mentioned that if we wanted to focus more on reading and writing (in order to take the HSK, for example), they could have changed their teaching style to help us out with that more. We had some wonderful discussions with our teachers about various issues during class, and this helped my speaking and listening to progress very quickly! The teachers also assigned meaningful writing assignments and homework assignments that forced us out of our comfort zones and talking with locals about hot topics.

This past year, I have been working in China in an environment where I need to speak, listen, read and write Chinese very often. Silk Road Start definitely prepared me well to be able to work in this context!

As other reviewers have mentioned, Eurasia is a great place to get connected with Chinese students. I met my closest Chinese friends at Eurasia. These students have not only helped me learn Mandarin, but they have invited me into their lives. I have had multiple opportunities to go to their homes, travel with them, invite them to my home, cook with them, etc. I was even the maid of honor at one of these dear friend's weddings this past year! If you do attend Eurasia, I highly advise getting to know these students who are so eager to meet a foreign friend.

I can't speak highly enough of the Silk Road Start program at Eurasia University. If you have an opportunity to try it out, I highly recommend that you do!

• Facilities

Unmatched Mandarin program

After having the opportunity to study Mandarin at several different locations, both in Xi'an, and later in different locations around China, I am impressed by the significantly higher degree of quality Silk Road Start had to offer language learners. I entered the Silk Road Start program at Eurasia about two years into my Chinese learning experience, and the only regret I have is having waited so long to enroll in their program.
The program itself is well organized and managed. All involved staff are friendly, helpful, and truly seek to help the students immerse into the Chinese culture and language at an appropriate pace. The teachers are patient, and clearly concerned with the progress of each student. They are all more than willing to either slow down, or speed up so as to suit the needs of the class. Likewise, the material taught is relevant to those seeking to learn the language well. Another significant benefit I experienced is that the program attracts students who are truly motivated to learn the language, thus adding to the encouraging learning atmosphere.
Eurasia University presents a perfect language learning environment, due to the fact that nearly 100% of the students on campus are Chinese. Many of the students are very anxious to befriend foreign students and "互相学习" (mutually practice Chinese and English).
I enthusiastically support the Silk Road Start program, and would encourage all who seek to learn Mandarin to consider their program. You will not regret your decision!

Show more reviews