Shoulder to Shoulder, Inc. Header Image Shoulder to Shoulder, Inc. Header Image

Teaching Assistant

Volunteer assistant teacher

I could not imagine an experience more fulfilling than my time in Camasca teaching the second grade as a volunteer with Shoulder to Shoulder. Working with the light-hearted children at the Good Shepherd Bilingual School was enjoyable each day, and seeing their long-term progress was uniquely gratifying. The program was an invaluable opportunity for me to work with a low-resource community that shares my enthusiasm for education.

The modest pueblo in rural Honduras features an authentic and friendly Latin American culture in such a way that made me feel completely integrated with the community, despite having no knowledge of Spanish when I arrived. It took no time for me to create memorable relationships with locals, fellow volunteers, and brigades which came through the town. My perspectives were changed by the amazing connections I made with people whom I previously thought I would have little in common. I would highly recommend this position to any adventurous individual who enjoys working with children!

Bilingual School Volunteer

Volunteering with Shoulder to Shoulder as a teacher in the bilingual school in Camasca, Intibuca, Honduras was an inimitably rewarding experience. For the volunteer that is seeking complete cultural immersion, it is the perfect fit-- Shoulder to Shoulder stations their volunteers in the heart of rural Intibuca to live as the locals do. While Camasca is a modest village of little "North American luxuries," the community is welcoming and the program is well respected. I never once felt that I was not wanted, and I quickly made friends with a number of the locals that made my time there memorable. The administration does a wonderful job of making sure that their volunteers are well cared for, and the work is great. The children of the bilingual school are sweet and hungry to learn. Moreover, I had a wonderful time connecting with my fellow volunteers and getting to know Honduras. I would highly recommend this program.

Digital education - sophisticated learner experience

I was excited by the idea that the school needed someone to assist with digital learning. As a result when I arrived to volunteer as a teacher assistant at the school, I knew that I wanted to be a big influence in driving organization change ,in terms of teaching using digital technology.I was happy that the school already had computer equipment and a software called KA Lite. My focus was teaching grades 1-3 math and science using this software. Later on I only focused on teaching math. I feel very honoured to have been a part of a school where digital technology was used as a tool to give a sophisticated learner experience due to its creative design. As a result of this, the educational context improved because the kids creativity was enhanced by an intuitive learning process by the use of this technology. In all, I have to say that I am very delighted to have served a community and shared my creativity for the development of learning materials and improving education.