Education Mission Coordinator
Shoulder to Shoulder, Inc. Header Image Shoulder to Shoulder, Inc. Header Image

Education Mission Coordinator

Education on Fuego

Shoulder to Shoulder is an organization working in a variety of things to say the least - just take a look at their website (shouldertoshoulder.org). While their hands are busy with nutrition, health, girl's empowerment, etc....my role was education. I went into the year-long assignment pretty blind, not having any prior connection to this organization. Now four months in, I'm so thankful to be where I am. The mission was easy to get on board with, striving to provide sustainable changes in the resource-deprived education system of Honduras. The mission is somewhat new (~5 years) so they are still in the process of forming relationships and getting things really refined and running, but it is taking off. I highly recommend this organization for somebody who is driven, flexible, self-motivating, personable, speaks Spanish and is passionate about improving education. You will never be bored! I am actually applying for grad schools in public health currently and this experience is providing me with the unique opportunity to analyze up close and reflect upon the social determinants of health that weigh down this developing country, in contrast with those I saw in Minnesota. The education team, including the directors, are great and very supportive. There are also volunteers in the classrooms at the bilingual school where Spanish is not necessary if you still want an opportunity abroad without the language component. Personally I'd recommend a longer term commitment (>3mo)...it's a long learning process when entering a new community/country/culture and I think it's valuable to be here past the time it takes to get to know it. Come to Honduras with Shoulder to Shoulder!

Honduras My Relaxation

This was my proper volunteer experience in a third world country outside of Africa. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and I learnt alot . The tremendous impact I made at the Bilingual school offered me the opportunity to develop my professional skills further. Since i volunteered for an entire school year, the kids at the school tot used to me and I tot used to them as well, saying goodbye was very emotional. I was able to see the kids improvement , especially their heartfelt messages on the countless letters they gave me when I left. The community is very welcoming and this is evident in church gatherings. As a Christ-centered individual, it was very important for me to volunteer at a community upholding Christian values.
I love the beautiful mountains of Camasca, where the school is based and not forgetting the beautiful sounds of the 'chicharras',a tropical rain forest cricket during the dry season. When I got a chance, I often travelled to the Caribbean coast of Honduras and enjoyed myself on the beach.
My Spanish language skills improved,since in the beginning I could not converse or even utter a Spanish word, but in the end I was beginning to converse!
One of the highlights of the volunteer experience was a dress up party and I dressed up as a Tropical Queen and wore a banana leaves costume,lol. Thanks to our Landlords daughter who helped me with the costume!
I almost forgot to mention this : I LOVE HONDURAN CUISINE!!!

Volunteer 2nd grade ESL teacher

My experience in Honduras was very good apart from the extreme heat. The people couldn't have been more cordial. The community was quite lovely.
There were discipline problems in the school which I'm sure have improved with the directors of the program moving to Camasca.