Field Primatology in South Africa
Sepela Field Programs Header Image Sepela Field Programs Header Image

Field Primatology in South Africa

Wonderfully Educating and Unforgettable

This was one of the best experiences I had as an undergrad. You can only learn so much from textbooks. This course offers amazing fieldwork. You not only learn about primates, but are taught ecology, GIS, and conservation. You not only get to see the culture of South Africa but live it. Do not let the cost of this adventure intimidate you because it is worth every penny.

Trip of a Lifetime

Africa. Wow. This trip was absolutely amazing! Everything about this field school was great! I was able to take the non human primate/conservation knowledge I had received from Youngstown State University, and combine that with the knowledge that I had received from Dr Wren, Leslie, Dr Barrett, and Albert Roos, and work firsthand in the bush. I got to observe beautiful creatures out in the wild, create lasting friendships and memories, and visit the birthplace of humankind! How cool is that?! I was incredibly lucky to have been able to experience all that Africa had to offer. I recommend this field school to all of my friends. I shall take everything I learned while there, and spread that information on to others. Great job, Sepela! Keep up the good work! I look forward to seeing you again, Africa!

Every moment is awesome

I did this program several years ago and I have to say it was absolutely amazing. Brandi is great and all the students that I studied with were amazing and friendly. I got skills that I was able to apply to later jobs (research at John Hopkins University) and memories I will treasure forever. The places we stayed were amazing, the food was always good and the company was incredible. I would highly highly recommend this program to anyone who is considering it.

Much more than just a primate field course

the course is obviously centered around primates and studying them throughout the trip, but there is so much more that you are exposed to. So many different kinds of animals can and will be seen, and you really learn about working in the field and about primates. Got to stay in different locations different living arrangements, extremely interesting and a lot of fun. While I learned I didn't want to be a field primatologist, I did discovery my love of research, and went on the graduate school as a research assistant. Highly recommend this program, the pictures and memories I have from it are amazing.

Amazing

You gain a lot of academic knowledge as well as field experience and hands on training. It is a great course! You will travel to several different locations in South Africa and see many different species of primates in the process. You are trained with tools that are commonly used infield research as well. The instructors and field guides are amazing.

Time of my life

The primatology field program in South Africa was one of the best learning experiences of my life. The best way for me to learn is to be active and feel close and personal to my surroundings. Being able to observe primates and other animals displaying natural behaviors in front of my eyes was a moment I'll never forget.

A truely worthwhile experience!

I had a fantastic time on this course! It was a very interesting introduction into the world of field primatology. Getting to see these animals in their natural habitat, as well as a ton of other animals, was amazing! I had studied animal behaviour in the past so some of the lecture material relating to that was things I had already known but learning the ecological methods and the ethics of field work was quiet neat. One thing that really stood out to me taking this course was how helpful they were with administrative things. I am Canadian and, at the time, the methods of payment were all only available in the US but they were very accommodating in letting me pay by alternate means. They also did a lot to help me get this course approved as a credit at my home school. The main reason I gave the course a nine instead of a ten is that I wish we had the opportunity to experience African food a little bit more (we did a lot of our own cooking) and the accommodations, while all incredibly beautiful and quite comfortable compared many of my field experiences, had some issues with electricity while we were there. If anything though, the lack of electricity made the experience all the more memorable and it was kind of fun to do your cooking and showering by lantern light!