Sorrento: Summer Programs 2017
Sant'Anna Institute Header Image Sant'Anna Institute Header Image

Sorrento: Summer Programs 2017

Summer on the Italian coast, Sorrento

Sorrento is an amazing town. Even when I go else where in Italy I am always excited to come back to Sorrento. The university location is incredible and the dorms are really nice (with incredible views). The convenience of walking down from the dorms to the classes is awesome. I absolutely would recommend this trip and this university.

Experience of a lifetime

It was so much fun and I learned a ton in my classes, and also about the culture through living with a host family. I had so much fun and wish I could stay longer. I gained life experience and independence as well.

I can't wait to return

I had a wonderful experience at Sant' Anna. I learned so much Italian. I made friendships with other study abroad students and with staff that I hope will last a lifetime. Sorrento became my home away from home. I can't wait to come back.

Awesome

Loved it, I would do it again in a heart beat. I've learned and grown so much. I know so much more about the Italian culture and how much different it is to be outside of the United States. Italian people are so kind! I loved living and working my internship here.

My second home

I never thought my study abroad experience would be so incredible. Sorrento is full of color and beauty, just walking around exploring the city you will realize there really isn't a dull looking thing at all.
Courses are all so interesting and full of exciting field trips. I cannot wait to be back!

The summer that solidified my dream

This past summer I interned and studied at Sant'Anna Institute. I had studied abroad in Italy two other times but decided that I wanted something different than my previous semester in beautiful but "touristy" Florence. When I found Sant'Anna Institute in Sorrento I knew that was where I was going to spend my summer. I had previously had jobs in international education so I applied to be the marketing intern at Sant'Anna and see how international education is handled abroad.

I spent the summer falling more in love with international education and even more in love with Italy. In between work and class I was able to walk down to Marina Grande and lay on the beach with Mt. Vesuvius in the distance. I was surrounded by beauty all the time whether it was in the gorgeous school building with an incredible view of the Bay of Naples, whether I was walking home from class or school, or whether I was taking the train, bus or a boat to a nearby town, the beauty never stopped.

The other times I studied abroad I spent the weekends traveling to other countries and cities, but this summer was different. There is so many places in the Amalfi Coast and Naples area that I didn't need to leave. There was so much to do in that area that after spending over 90 days there, I still hadn't seen it all.

I've been back for about two months now and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about Sorrento. I miss my friends there, the people I worked with, my teachers, the food, the beach, the list could continue on forever...

I know that I will be back next summer and every summer following that. Sorrento is now my second home and I am counting down the days until I can return. I want to thank Sant'Anna for solifidying my dreams of working with international education and Italy in particular and I cannot wait to come back and visit !!

Gaining independence and discovering myself in a foreign city

When I made the decision to come to Sorrento, one of my objectives was to seize every opportunity and, as I call it, "live deliberately." Being abroad humbles you and triggers a curiosity not only about where you are but who you are. When we are at home, we take for granted the ability to travel, to shop, and to communicate. In Italy, navigating public transit, going to the market, and expressing myself in any capacity is a challenge. Having always been an outspoken and outgoing person, I have had to adapt to situations in which I cannot be that person. In doing so, I have already improved my abilities to observe, to listen, and to learn. The skill of adaptation is of value in work environments and in situations when one is out of his or her comfort zone.

Sorrento is an incredible setting for all of this to happen. Not only is it visually stunning but the culture and sense of community is spell-binding. A student has the opportunity to build personal relationships with other students and the residents and community leaders. The people care about each other and want to share their love of life (and pasta). In no time at all, Sorrento has become my second home.

Unbelievable experience

In just three short weeks I have felt at home here in Sorrento. The culture and the atmosphere is one that makes you fall in love right away. As for the class that I am taking, the professor makes the class enjoyable each day and truly allows for our opinions to be shared. This experience has been a dream come true and one day I hope to come back to Sorrento to experience it all over again.

Beautiful Place

Sorrento is GORGEOUS. This program is led by some fantastic people, they do their absolute best to take care of you. I'd like to think you get a pretty good taste of the "southern Italian" life as well. The only downfall is that Sorrento is a tourist town (especially in the summer months). I was not pushed to exercise my language skills to any great extent. If you make an effort, I'm sure you'd be able to practice your Italian with the locals. But most of them know enough English to enable you to get by. Also, Sorrento is expensive.

Other than those things though, Sorrento is awesome. I would definitely recommend it. Beautiful, fun, and southern.

Beautiful views

Very beautiful place, couldn't of asked for more of a stunning view while I studied abroad. Everything is very well put together at Sant'Anna. If you are apart of SAI, the only thing I would do differently is not using the phone plan that is recommended by them. It did not work once and they charged me way more than I signed up for. I recommend getting a phone plan in Sorrento at one of the local phone services, it is very cheap and works perfectly! But, overall great experience at the school and the professors and are very friendly, funny and helpful!

Sorrento session II

The faculty, rooms, views, and location are all wonderful. The kitchen situation and trip planning are not so wonderful. I have had a truly amazing time here in Sorrento, but the dorm living situation can be a bear. It is difficult due to the shared kitchen space and how the kitchens are divided up. Also, we get little support from the dorm supervisor and my interactions with her have been quite negative.

Internship summer II

My experience at Sant'Anna was without a doubt a unique experience. I was placed in a internship that was new to me. Though the internship was not as expected I still feel as though I learned a lot in my time here. I found the Institute to be very welcoming yet disorganized. However, apart from the lack of communication and strategy in the Institute, I found the excursions and cultural immersion to be very impressive.

Beautiful town

Sorrento, Italy is a great place to study abroad. i highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in studying abroad in Europe. Or any where in the entire world for that matter. It is a completely completely different town from winter around end of January.