Sorrento: Internships for Credits
Sant'Anna Institute Header Image Sant'Anna Institute Header Image

Sorrento: Internships for Credits

Il mio stage da paradiso

My Communications internship with Sant'Anna Institute has been instrumental in preparing myself mentally and socially for a life in the business world. Although the internship may sometimes be a grind, having to be downstairs(if you intern with Sant'Anna you'll work in the same building you live) at 10 AM on Tuesdays and Thursdays to my office with views of Marina Grande and the Sorrentine peninsulas. Nothing could prepare me for the experiences I have accrued outside of the Institute, having visited Barcelona, Paris, Edinburgh, Dublin, Amsterdam, Athens and a couple other hubs of culture it feels as if I have been to completely different worlds all unique to their own histories and ways of life. Having experienced these different communities, Sorrento has become my home. Coming abroad alone you are unsure whether or not you will find like-minded individuals, but those who do study abroad all have a common air about them wanting to create new experiences and have an all-around good time. My fellow peers have gone from strangers to friends, and friends to family I will remember and stay in touch with for life. I recommend the full semester experience to anyone debating study abroad, for when it's said and done and the time has come for you to go home you'll be most comfortable in Sorrento dreading your leave from our cozy town. The best time to study abroad is as soon as possible. The spring and fall semesters respectively bring different weather and rates of hustle and bustle in Sorrento with businesses closing for the winter months, and although I can only speak on my perfect spring semester it is said students enjoy the fall even more with the Neopolitano sun beating down upon arrival.

Interning with Sant'Anna

I’m currently studying across the globe from where I have lived my entire life. I said goodbye to Niagara Falls New York to complete my final semester of a Human Services Management bachelor’s degree at Sant’Anna Institute located on the Western Coast of Italy. 5 days a week, I spend my days interning with the administrative team of this school to create programs that ensure students’ success. Sant’Anna is offering me a unique experience of program development to address needs brought about by the newly installed residence halls on campus. With the brand new on-campus living option, Sant’Anna is met with a number of opportunities for development that I get to explore and take on. Since I’m only here for a semester, the goal is to create programs that can be carried on by interns doing a 2018 Fall semester in Sorrento, Italy. It’s a unique challenge creating sustainable programs for relatively new organization like Sant’Anna Institute. This internship is a great exercise in pulling together learnings from dozens of classes, extracurriculars, and work experiences that have spanned my entire educational career. If I can offer any words of advice for other interns, it’s to trust your abilities, and take on as many opportunities as you can. Every experience is a learning opportunity if you take the time to learn from them.

Excellent

For someone who started with this program to immerse myself in the language and culture while I gained some work experience, everything has been great. My host family is wonderful and always helps me lift my Italian skill level from proficient to fluent. My internship has been everything I have put into it so far. However, it has been very open ended in terms of my jobs and responsibilities and I'm currently working to tailor it more to getting the experience I hoped to before I leave. I was surprised by how many students are in the program but not studying the language primarily or interning. My social life in terms of the other students has slightly suffered as I have had to work on a lot of days that students were taking class field trips to Pompeii and Naples. It's no fault of Sant'Anna though. It's just the fact that my internship and school schedule differed mightily than the rest of the students (who also live together in the dorms rather than with a family like I am) and that has shown in my found necessity to put an effort into socializing with the other students. Overall, I have still managed to make some great new friends and my Italian has taken a huge advancement through the comforts of my homestay and my excellent internship opportunities. I also know every other student here has had the experience of a lifetime.

Sorrento is home!

I attended an internship program in Sorrento in Summer 2016 and it completely changed my life.
it was the best experience I could ever do. it gave me self-confidence and made me gain a better perspective on the world. I was very scared at the beginning because of the language barrier but everyone made me feel at home and part of the family, and I started speaking Italian with them. after a week, I already knew Sorrento would become my second home! not only the town is beautiful, but the atmosphere is magic. Sant'Anna staff is amazing, and followed me through all my internship, I would meet with them every week to check on my progress and my accomplishments.
It turned out to be the best experience ever and it gave a lot to my resume!
Sorrento will have a special place in my heart forever and I can't wait to be back!

Teaching abroad

I loved teaching English as a second language to the locals! It was a truly amazing and unforgettable experience that I could not have had anywhere else. Through this, I got to learn the culture, some of the language and I got to meet some amazing students. I will never forget the experience that Sant'Anna provided for me and I hope I can give back to the institute and Lucy (the lead teacher in my classes) just as much as they have given me! I feel more prepared and confident to teach back in the USA! I also have become more confident, independent and excited than I have ever been before. This experience has given me new friends and exciting opportunities that I will be able to enjoy for the rest of my life. Thank you!

Just what I needed!

Interning at Sant' Anna Institute was a great experience! I would definitely recommend having some sort of language background if you want the ideal placement though. I was not dissatisfied with my placement but I know I could of been placed in a more ideal internship if I would have had foreign language experience.

Sorrento is a great place to get your fix of Italian culture and the staff at the Institute are very friendly and approachable! It is not hard to meet new people and get the exact experience you are looking for with some effort! The locals are very friendly and helpful as well. Overall I would recommend this program and experience to anyone!

Sunny Sorrento

I always knew since I started college in New York that I wanted to study abroad but I did not know where. When Sant'Anna Institute became and option I began to research Sorrento and the program. I fell in love with the program and was so excited for my adventure ahead! Along with classes I also did and internship. I was the Civic engagement intern at Sant'Anna. I helped organize many events and provide recreational activities. The main goal was to form a cultural integration between the students and community. Beautiful Sorrento has given us the students so much so it is important to give back. The internship was definitely one of my favorite things about my abroad experience. I met so many new people and built relationships with locals and local store! I gained professional skills as well as communication skills. I would highly highly recommend doing an internship abroad to anyone who comes to Sant'Anna, the staff are so nice and helpful.

Sant'Anna became a second home. Everyone is so nice and caring and all want to see you succeed in you're abroad experience. Since it is a generally small program friendships grow strong in a short amount of time. The classes were so much fun and the field trips let you learn the content hands on. I'm going to miss it so much!
There is truly something magical about Sorrento. The smell of the lemons, the sea breeze, the blue sky's and water!! It is just so amazing. Their is a special kindness of southern Italians that is like non other. The amazing things I have seen while being abroad with affect my life forever. The beaches, the pizza the mozzarella, they are just all indescribable.
I was blessed to live with a host family and it was the best choice I could have made. I learned the language and how to live like a true Italian. I was fed amazing pasta and all other traditional foods! They took me in as one of there own children and I will be forever grateful for the relationship we have created.

So come to Sorrento come to Sant'Anna!! It is a life changing experience.

Be Happy

Prepare yourself for this experience you will be changed for life. It is difficult to get used to the differences from an internship abroad than in the USA. Abroad it is up to the individual to be productive with little to no direction.

It's like a dream

Not only was Sorrento a phenomenal place to find the warmest people and the most wonderful food, but the experience I had at Sant'Anna Institute is irreplaceable. I had the opportunity to spend 150+ hours in classrooms with students varying in age, observing and occasionally leading. So, in addition to learning about the Italian culture in many other ways, I also had the unique chance to see how the teachers worked and classrooms were structured.

I was so blessed to have the time of my life in this beautiful city. It helped that I enjoyed my classes immensely. My eyes were opening to many new perspectives and tidbits of wisdom. On top of this, I learned quite a considerable amount of Italian and about what it means to be a responsible tourist.

The staff/administration and the professors were more than I could have asked for.

All around, those four months felt like a whirlwind of learning and broadening horizons!!

Top Internship Experience

This past summer, I had the amazing opportunity to work and study at Sant'Anna Institute as a Business and Marketing intern. For the duration of my 5-week program, I got to work side-by-side with Sant'Anna staff, including the President Cristiana, as well as with my fellow program participants.
My duties ranged from online research for marketing strategies to assisting at events, including the Annual CSIS Conference held at Sant'Anna that summer (see picture attached).
No matter what project I was working on, I had the guidance of Sant'Anna's staff members, who are all so pasisonate about their programs and their students' input. Even in a short amount of time, I felt welcomed and a part of the friendly family at Sant'Anna... all while gaining professional experience and academic credits for my future! It's definitely an opportunity I would suggest to any student interested in immersing themselves in an international internship.