Pure Study Abroad
Pure Study Abroad Header Image Pure Study Abroad Header Image

Pure Study Abroad

Love this program ~ Thanks for the adventure :)

With Pure Study Abroad, I was expecting to continue the kind of learning I experienced daily at my University, sitting in a classroom and worrying over homework. Learning with Pure Study Abroad rather meant exploring with locals; immersing myself in their time and traditions; and having only a few, compact classes to support our travel endeavors as a team. It was so about the culture, I almost forgot the classes were structured our learning; they didn't feel like work.

I loved the community we built with one another, as well - these students and travel endeavors will always be something worth looking back on! My personal advice: Bring an nice camera, so you can capture the experience. :)

Unique study abroad experience

Pure Study Abroad offered a unique study abroad experience that was different from any other program I've participated in. They truly deliver on their "No Frills. Just Adventure" motto. I was expecting to spend the majority of my time learning in a classroom, but had the opposite of that experience! Most of my time was spent exploring the island and interacting with all the locals. Even during the days when we had language class, we weren't always in the classroom! My favorite "classroom" experience was when our professor took us to the local market for a very hands-on learning experience. The immersion program was a fantastic way to learn Spanish and I picked up so much more in the first few days then I probably would have with several weeks of a typical classroom language experience.

The best part of PSA was all the time we had for adventuring! I've never had so much free time built into any other study abroad experience. Since classes were every other day, we often had entire free days to go out and find our own adventures (which also helped us put into practice all the Spanish we were learning in the classroom). One of my favorite adventures was traveling to a historical coastal town (one of the oldest on the island!), sightseeing, and swimming in tide pools right before the tide started crashing in!

Language immersion and adventure

Pure Study Abroad truly lived up to its tagline of “no frills. just adventure,” and far exceeded my expectations for the language immersion and adventure components. Because there really are no frills to this program, the schedule is largely open and simple. The schedule focuses on the intensive language immersion classes but also allows students to practice the language as they explore the area and culture. I found this structure to be the perfect balance of academics and adventure.

But even more, the academic learning is not merely confined to the classroom environment. This program emphasizes the importance of experiential learning by allowing the students to explore the area with their tutor. For example, we were able to take a walk to a market, pharmacy, and home goods store where we both practiced what we had learned in the classroom and experienced new things that we had not yet learned. After gaining confidence by exploring the town with our tutor, we were afforded plenty of free time to explore the town and neighboring towns on our own. Choosing our own adventures was another highlight of this program, and I am truly grateful for the relationships built with my fellow students through this experience and my new found knowledge of another part of the world. If you are independent, open-minded, and adventurous, then I would highly recommend the Pure Study Abroad program to you.

Pure Study Abroad - A great experience!

Some of the greatest days were when we had language class with an enthusiastic teacher in the morning and then spent the rest of the day exploring the island. Because of our new (albeit basic!) knowledge of the language, most locals were happy to help us navigate and find the local favorites for sight-seeing and great local cuisine. This program caters to the kind of person that likes to explore at their own pace (for me, that means exploring every day!) and prefers less programming. Our teacher was fantastic with teaching as well - she took us to local markets and stores to learn a lot of new items as well as worked with us in the classroom on sentence structure and grammar.