Projects Abroad in Jamaica

Projects Abroad in Jamaica

• Program Opportunities

• Personal Development

Care & community high school special -Jamaica

My name is Trystin St. Denis. I'm 16 and from San Jose, California. I participated in the Projects Abroad Care & Community program in Mandeville, Jamaica. This project was one of the most eye opening, incredible things I've ever done in my life. I lived with a wonderful host family -the Stewarts- and four other roommates. Aside from the actual volunteer work, they contributed greatly to my experience there. The staff support while in Jamaica was astonishing. While I was there, my dog back home died. The staff went out of their way to comfort me and provide me with anything I needed to get through my grief and allowed me time to myself to process, while still making sure I knew that they were there for me. I also got super sick while I was there(I get motion sickness easily) and they immediately called my parents and took me to the doctor and even paid for my medicine and doctors visit.
My roommates were easily one of the greatest parts of my trip. We were all near the same age, so I think that contributed to how well we got along, but they were also just incredible people with such big hearts; I feel so honored to know that they'll forever be apart of my life. I lost my wallet the very first day I was in Jamaica, and my roommate Cory helped me pay for anything and everything the rest of the trip. There's truly no one else like the other volunteers; they're so giving, understanding, and genuinely good people.
My actual project was also incredible, as I got to work with little kids(3-5 year olds), and help influence them and their future decisions. Being able to contribute to their future success and help the teachers there, who truly do need the help, felt so rewarding. I would do it a thousand times over again if I could.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review September 25, 2017 at 4:38 PM

Hi Trystin. It sounds like your trip was pretty eventful! As much as we plan, there are always surprises whenever you travel abroad, that's part of the adventure, isn't it? We are glad to hear everything worked out in the end, and that our staff and your fellow volunteers were so helpful in the process. They are such an important part of your experience as a whole, together with the children you helped during your project. We hope that the lessons you learned in Jamaica stay with you for the rest of your life. Come visit again soon!

The International Volunteer Programs Association