Medicine in Peru with Projects Abroad

Medicine in Peru with Projects Abroad

Transformative

When I first touched down in Peru for my placement with Projects Abroad, I arrived with the understanding that I would be taking on a mostly observational role in the clinic with few hands-on responsibilities. Once I began working, however, my level of involvement far exceeded my expectations as I was given multiple duties involving patient care. In a typical day I arrive at 8:00 am and help weigh and measure patients in “Triage”, which typically lasts until 10:00. I then return to “Topico” to assist the nurse there where I have learned proper would cleaning techniques and how to administer intramuscular injections. I at times take blood pressure and temperature of patients, and assist with the general maintenance of the clinic by cleaning equipment and folding gauze. The day flies by and 1:00 always arrives quickly. This experience has been transformative in my understanding of the medical profession as I have been given hands-on experience treating patients, and have developed relationships with the patients and staff, all while in a foreign language. I have learned the importance of communication and collaboration in a medical environment, and have marvelled at the trusting relationships between health care workers and patients in the Centro de Salud de San Sebastian. This experience has certainly strengthened my resolve to pursue a career in medicine, and inspired me to pursue more medically-related volunteer missions in the future.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review August 28, 2017 at 3:13 PM

Dear Meghan: It's great that you got so much involvement with patient care during your project in Peru! Hands on work with patients depends on each volunteers own skills and proactivity, as well as their relationship with their supervisor. Sounds like you were able to show off your abilities and willingness to help and they were glad to have you there! Thank you for your trust!

Medicine In Cusco, Peru

I did the High School Special Medical volunteer trip during my summer break in August. It was a great experience filled with a diverse range of learning opportunities. Not only did I expand my knowledge in the Medical field itself, but I also improved on cooperation and communication skills. In addition I learnt all about the culture and way of life within Peru, and how the medical system there differs from my own. I would recommend this trip to anyone who loves to travel and experience new cultures. But also for people who want to get a taste of a career in medicine. The planned activities in addition to the volunteering help you make the most of your time within Peru. Salsa dancing, hands on medical clinics and weekend sight seeing trips furthermore add to the overall experience. Creating a truly unforgettable trip!

• Projects Abroad responded to this review January 10, 2017 at 5:46 PM