Medicine in Mexico with Projects Abroad

Medicine in Mexico with Projects Abroad

Volunteering in Guadalajara

From the second I applied, the Projects Abroad staff were incredibly helpful. This became even more apparent when I landed in Mexico. On my first day there, a staff member showed me around the city, my hospital, and how to use the busses. At my placement, the doctors and interns all worked to make me feel welcome and to make sure I got the most out of my short two weeks in Guadalajara. I was able to observe surgeries and gain clinical experience in the hospital, all while improving my Spanish-speaking skills.

While I was in Mexico, I celebrated "el Año Nuevo" with my host family, explored the BEAUTIFUL city center, and made plenty of friends. If you are interested in medical volunteer work, I definitely recommend going through Projects Abroad!

• Projects Abroad responded to this review March 10, 2017 at 11:26 AM

Hi Olivia. Thank you for sharing your experience and for volunteering with us during your holidays. Your help in the hospital was very much appreciated, and it's great that you were able to observe procedures and get so much clinical exposure. Our Medicine

Life Changing

I chose to intern abroad in Guadalajara, Mexico in Medicine for three weeks. I wanted to make sure my career choices were made by my own influence. As soon as I signed up, Projects Abroad was available to answer any questions I could have. They supported me all pre- departure, on my arrival, and my departure. I was placed in one of the general hospitals. I worked in the delivery room, consultations, and emergency pediatrics. I fell in love with emergency medicine. My host family was so friendly and excited to have me. My house mate was another volunteer on a different project. She and I made so many new friends! I even had a Projects Abroad worker I could text day or night with any question I could have. She also met with me once a week to make sure I was comfortable and happy.

Mexico is a beautiful country with beautiful people

I was nervous about traveling to Mexico for two months because I did not know anyone in the country and I would be working in an industry that I had little experience being a part of (not to mention I did not speak much Spanish). However, Projects Abroad made me feel so comfortable before I left and made sure that I had all my questions answered and that I knew exactly what to expect when I arrived in Mexico.

When I first arrived in Guadalajara for my two month medical internship, I was immediately greeted by a member of the Projects Abroad team and taken to my accommodation. I was then shown around the city by the Projects Abroad staff and they introduced me to the people I would be working with and ensured that I knew how to get to and from my workplace without any problems.

I felt very well taken care the entire two months. The staff in Guadalajara were always there to help me if I needed it, any time of day, all days of the week. They even organized various community service projects and fun outings for the volunteers so that we could take a break from our busy schedule and get to know each other. I got the chance to release newborn sea turtles into the ocean on one of these outings.

I had a great experience in Mexico and I thank Projects Abroad for all that they did for me. This is a great company with employees who truly care about their volunteers.

The International Volunteer Programs Association