Medical Internship in Vietnam with Projects Abroad

Medical Internship in Vietnam with Projects Abroad

Chasing Dreams and Discovering New Worlds

As a Vietnamese American who never knew of his heritage, this trip was a dream come true! I was never able to meet my Grandmother who was born in Vietnam, so I decided to go with Projects Abroad to explore my native land. They were excellent in every way possible. I always felt safe, there were plenty of other people that spoke English (fellow volunteers), and I got some hands-on experience that I could have never gotten back in America.

During my stay, I volunteered at the National Hospital of Traditional Medicine and assisted on over 20 hemorrhoid surgeries. In the mornings I would follow the nurses around and give injections with the friendly-and funny-Mr. Hoy, the head male nurse. The joy of the Vietnamese people is captivating even when you don't understand the language, and this is everything that Mr. Hoy embodied.

Overall, I could not have asked for a better volunteer experience. Projects Abroad takes care of you like family and makes you feel at home in a foreign land. 10/10. Would do it again.

The International Volunteer Programs Association