Human Rights Work in South Africa with Projects Abroad

Law & Human Rights volunteer placement with Projects Abroad

I spent an incredible eight weeks in Cape Town with the Projects Abroad Human Rights Office (PAHRO). Most of my time was spent travelling to townships to meet with clients and researching and drafting legal documents alongside PAHRO’s staff. On Wednesday afternoons, I helped run educational workshops at the Bonnytoun youth juvenile detention centre. While much of what I worked on was challenging, I always had a strong support system in place. PAHRO’s staff were open to any questions and checked up consistently to make sure I was comfortable with my role. As well, I became close with several other law students from around the world who were volunteering within the same placement.

Cape Town is an amazing city, and Projects Abroad encouraged me to take advantage of all it had to offer. During nights and weekends I took part in a number of activities with other volunteers. My favourite memories include surfing at Muizenberg together every Friday, Braais at Mzoli’s, climbing Table Mountain, and Saturday mornings at the Old Biscuit Mill. I also enjoyed spending three days on the Garden Route along the African coast. Undertaking meaningful volunteer activities while experiencing Cape Town’s culture made for a trip that I’ll never forget.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review December 19, 2016 at 11:18 AM

Hi Jordan, thank you for sharing your experience! The work that volunteers such as yourself do in out Human Rights Office in Cape Town is wonderful. The legal assistance that you are able to provide to people in need is extremely appreciated. And being able to do this in beautiful South Africa, with all the activities and sights it has to offer is just part of what makes this experience so worthwhile. Glad you were able to join us!

Experience of a lifetime

I spent 5 weeks in Cape Town, South Africa during the summer of 2015. These were 5 of the best weeks of my life.

My host family was amazing. My host mother was a sweetheart. She cooked me dinner every week night, had a packed lunch ready and waiting for me to take to work in the morning, and she even did my laundry! I felt so safe and welcome with the family that Projects Abroad placed me with. I even still stay in touch with host mother and sister through Facebook!

The work at the Projects Abroad Human Rights Office is split into two parts: legal and social justice. On the legal side, you act as a volunteer legal assistant. Meaning you research case study, conduct consultation with appropriate clients and businesses, and even possibly visit the courts or jails in the area. I was lucky (or unlucky) enough to be part of a serious criminal case and was able to visit the notorious Pollsmoor Prison. The social justice side is more laid back. You are able to plan and teach life skills classes to juveniles in local detention centers.

The overall atmosphere of the office was incredible. I got to meet and work with students and professionals from all over the world. Many of the friends I met at PAHRO I still stay in touch with today. My experience in Cape Town was something I will take with me forever.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review December 19, 2016 at 11:42 AM

Dear Phillip. Thanks for sharing! It's great that you are still in touch with your host family and fellow volunteers from around the world! Part of our mission is brining people from all over the world closer together and finding out how much we really have in common with each other and how big of an impact we can make in someone's life or even a community! Every volunteer's experience is different; it does sound like the criminal case you were involved with was very interesting! Thanks for all your help in it!

The International Volunteer Programs Association