Drama Project in Romania with Projects Abroad

Drama Project in Romania with Projects Abroad

A true fantasy...

When it was time for me to leave Romania, I looked back at the amazing city of Brasov, with tears in my eyes. "I don't want it to be over…" I choked. My experience with Projects Abroad Romania this past August was one of the most beautiful and special things that I have ever done.

Projects Abroad offers a number of exciting volunteer opportunities in multiple destinations, including Bolivia, Fiji, and Morocco (I have participated in these programs, and I also give them highest recommendation). In terms of accommodations, Projects Abroad typically pays local families to host the volunteers. My family in Romania was incredible: they were a retired couple with a son who lives in Bucharest. There was no challenge they were not willing to meet to make sure that I had lots of delectable food, a safe and perfectly clean house, and a comfortable place to relax after a day of volunteering. Despite the fact that we did not speak the same language, we found ways to communicate that mere words could never achieve.

In terms of my volunteer placement, I had officially signed up to teach a drama program in August. Of course, August is the off-season for that project, and it does not officially exist. However, Alexandra from the Projects Abroad staff immediately set to work to make sure that I had a task that would benefit the community and help me grow as well. I taught a small video production workshop to two high school students, where they wrote and recorded their own commercial. I also worked as a mentor and care assistant at a foster home in Prejmer, a village about 40 minutes away from Brasov. The director of the home additionally asked me to record a promotional video, and to me, any placement that is happy to have me do video work is an amazing one.

Throughout my time in Romania, I made some amazing friendships both with the Projects Abroad staff and the other volunteers. One can never predict how well they will click with the other volunteers (of course, on every one of my Projects Abroad trips, my colleagues have been extraordinary), but as a general rule, if someone is willing to pay to do volunteer work, they must be of the highest caliber. It honestly broke my heart to leave them, but I am happy to report that I still keep in contact with my new Romanian family. Romania is a land of wonder and fantasy, and the best way to experience this is, without a doubt, on a Projects Abroad trip.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review December 19, 2016 at 11:49 AM

Dear jordimus.
    Sounds like you have quite some experience volunteering abroad! Thank you for always coming back to us! We do work hard in accommodating each of our volunteers' skills and interests into their placement. Sounds like the video work you were involved with was very perfect for you! Thank you for sharing your talents! Hope you can join us again in another one of our projects soon!

My incredible volunteer experience in Romania

My experience volunteering with Projects Abroad changed my life more than I could've possibly imagined. I always had a desire to volunteer and a friend recommended I volunteer through Projects Abroad. She spoke very highly of their staff support, the entire volunteer experience, and of how comfortable she felt during her time in Romania. I was able to experience all of those things first hand when I traveled to Romania in July. I chose to volunteer as a Drama volunteer because I wanted to bring theater education to their disadvantaged youth in Brasov. Before my journey began my volunteer advisor emailed me several times to make sure I had all of my questions answered about accommodation, transportation, and general life abroad. He was always available to answer questions and he even called me before my trip just to double check that I felt secure about all of my program details.

When I arrived in Romania, I was picked up at the airport by one of the local Projects Abroad staff. Razvan was extremely helpful and I immediately felt welcome to beautiful Romania. When I arrived in Brasov he made sure I was safe and sound at my host family's house. One of my favorite parts of my volunteer experience was my incredible host family. My "host mother" Rodica welcomed me into her home with open arms and plenty of delicious Romanian food. I swear I have never eaten better in my life! Although there was a language barrier between us I knew that I could always come to her with any questions about my stay in Brasov. She made me feel like I was home.

I can't speak highly enough about the Projects Abroad team in Romania. They helped me navigate my way through my volunteer program as I had many placements. One of the head coordinators, Ali, made sure I was comfortable with all of my placements and she even took the time to answer any questions I had about living and navigating Brasov. She was always open to communication and we spoke almost every day about how my drama program was coming along. Overall, the entire Projects Abroad team was incredibly supportive and I will forever be thankful for them. They made my volunteer experience very special.

Last but not least, through my experience with Projects Abroad I made life long friendships. Several of my fellow volunteers were from the United Kingdom, Australia, France, and the USA. We still all keep in touch and we often look back on our wonderful experiences with Projects Abroad. Overall, my volunteer opportunity in Romania allowed me to fulfill a lifelong dream: to give back to others in need. Projects Abroad assisted in helping that dream come true!

• Projects Abroad responded to this review May 12, 2017 at 11:01 AM

Thank you for sharing your experience! It's great to hear you had such a wonderful time volunteering in Romania. The language barrier can be a bit challenging at first, but our host families work hard to make all of our volunteers feel welcome and comfortable. We would love to try your host mother's food one of these days, it sounds delicious! More importantly, we are thrilled to have helped make your dreams of giving back come true. I am sure your Drama students feel the same way!

The International Volunteer Programs Association