Community Building Projects in Ghana with Projects Abroad

Community Building Projects in Ghana with Projects Abroad

My Experience in Ghana with Projects Aboard

When I first arrived in Ghana I was a little terrified just because I had never been out of the country, after waiting less than 5 minutes a project abroad driver came to me and introduced himself and sat with me while we waited for some other volunteers to get off the flight. I felt very safe from that moment on because I knew I was going to be watched over by the amazing staff. While we waited he talked to me about Ghana and how it is the most amazing country in Africa as well as what my Ghanaian name would be:-). That made me feel somewhat already indulged in the culture and i wasn't even away from the airport. Throughout my trip the staff was always checking on us to make sure we had what we needed, whether it was more food or a different sleeping arrangement. They all were very involved and helpful. Our supervisor Nat even always made an extra stop to this little local store in Mamfe to let us buy American cookies.

All of out supervisors were pretty fluent in English and there was never really a language barrier we could not overcome, so don't stress if you don't know much Twii. Ghanaians are some of the most generous people I've ever met. Our host mother Mercy was always very generous and was flexible. She quickly learned which foods of her were the groups favorite and would make them. She would also ask us if everything was cooked correctly and was accommodating to each persons eating habits. I am anemic, so I obviously need a healthy amount of protein and I need to eat big meals and some of my roommates were vegan. Mercy somehow accommodated for all of us perfectly!

The projects abroad staff also was very flexible on the conditions of the work place , if we were getting tired or it was way too hot , they would give us breaks and let us drink as much water as we needed and also gave us pineapple ( Ghana has the best pineapple in the entire world I SWEAR) !!!! My experience in Ghana would not have been the same without the INCREDIBLE projects abroad staff, trust me you are in amazing hands with projects abroad. I'm defiantly using them again:)

• Projects Abroad responded to this review August 18, 2017 at 12:23 PM

Hi Savannah. Thanks for sharing, we are very happy you were able to join us! Ghana is indeed the perfect country to visit if you don't speak any language other than English, as our staff, host families, and even most locals are fluent in English, and it's really just a matter of paying attention to their unique accents. Sounds like you had a wonderful time with Mercy and the rest of the volunteers staying with you! Hope you can come visit again soon!

The International Volunteer Programs Association