Care Work in Nepal with Projects Abroad

Care Work in Nepal with Projects Abroad

Best two weeks of my life!

I travelled to Nepal for two week to do a High School Care & Community project over the summer. With Projects Abroad, this means that my group and I were assigned coordinators who were always with us to answer questions, give advice, and overall guide us through this amazing experience. From the minute I was greeted at the airport I felt safe and comfortable despite being halfway across the world from my family and in such a different culture that what I had known. The hotel where we stayed may not have been luxurious by Canadian standards, but it was clean and accommodating. We worked at a school first painting and doing repairs, and then eventually teaching the kids. Teaching was exhausting but such an eye-opening experience; they are so eager to learn and curious about the various countries and cultures from which we came. As for cultural immersion, we had lots of time to shop and explore the city, as well as excursions to religious sites and popular attractions both in Kathmandu (where my project was) and during the weekend trip to Pokhara (another city in Nepal).
By the end of my time in Nepal, I had fallen in love with the country, the culture, the local food, everything. I made some amazing friends and the feeling of seeing your hard work improve the lives of those less fortunate is beyond words. To anyone looking to make a difference in the world while expanding their own cultural horizons, I can't recommend Projects Abroad enough. You won't regret it!

• Projects Abroad responded to this review September 25, 2017 at 4:45 PM

Hi Marin. Sounds like you had a wonderful time in Nepal! We agree, working with children in Nepal can be challenging, but so worth it! They are always happy to meet volunteers from around the world and learn from their cultures. Thanks for sharing!

The International Volunteer Programs Association