Care Work in Nepal with Projects Abroad

Care Work in Nepal with Projects Abroad

Projects Abroad care volunteer

Projects Abroad gave me an unforgettable volunteer experience. The staff in the country were so helpful and always there when I needed. When I first arrived I was picked up at the airport by a Projects Abroad driven and driven through Kathmandu to the hotel. My supervisor showed me around Thamel, answered all of my questions and showed me all the important international necessities like cellular data cards, grocery stores, taxi stops and ATMs. My supervisor was always there when I had a question or needed help.

My host family was amazing. They showed me the way to my placement, local grocery stores and ATMs. They were very sweet and always made sure we had enough food and safe drinking water. My host family made the trip 100x better.

My placement couldn't have been more amazing. The kids were great and you could definitely see the impact being made. They were always so excited to learn and happy to see me everyday. I taught everything from Math to English to funny dances. The teachers and staff were very helpful in communicating between you and the children. It was an amazing experience overall and would do it again in a heart beat.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review July 06, 2018 at 12:00 PM

Sounds like you had a wonderful time in Nepal! We are indeed very proud of our host family community; they always go above and beyond to make sure you feel comfortable and safe.

We bet your students are very grateful for your lessons. Thanks for sharing!

Care and community high school special

I recently just returned from volunteering abroad in Nepal with Projects Abroad. It was one of the most meaningful and amazing experiences in my life. I was able to work with a local school, repainting classrooms and teaching children, all before I was 18. We were able to provide the school with freshly painted walls and provide the children with new toothbrushes during our dental outreach. I had amazing coordinators who were with us for all our time in Nepal. They were always by our side and took great care of us while we were sick. Not to mention how much they made us laugh! Not only did I have great staff present, but I met some of my very best friends on this project; we became our own little family in this short time period. Not only were we given a prime opportunity to give back and help the people of Nepal, we were able to visit cultural UNESCO heritage sights along the way. We took a weekend trip to Pokhara and received sprawling views of the Annapurna Himalayas. Projects Abroad provided us with clean hotels, delicious food and working Wi-Fi, which was great because I was able to still speak to my family at home. I would completely recommend this trip to anyone wishing to travel to Nepal. Projects Abroad truly helped us immerse in the culture of Nepal and motivated us to do our best. Nepal is the most amazing country and I already have plans to return! I am so grateful for the opportunity to give back and experience the most beautiful country. I can guarantee that you won't regret this experience!

• Projects Abroad responded to this review February 02, 2018 at 3:14 PM

Hi Emilee. Sounds like you had an amazing time in Nepal. Thank you for your help with the children and the refurbishment of their school! It's great to hear you had such a wonderful time both during your project and outside on your social activities around the beautiful Nepal. Thanks for sharing!

Best two weeks of my life!

I travelled to Nepal for two week to do a High School Care & Community project over the summer. With Projects Abroad, this means that my group and I were assigned coordinators who were always with us to answer questions, give advice, and overall guide us through this amazing experience. From the minute I was greeted at the airport I felt safe and comfortable despite being halfway across the world from my family and in such a different culture that what I had known. The hotel where we stayed may not have been luxurious by Canadian standards, but it was clean and accommodating. We worked at a school first painting and doing repairs, and then eventually teaching the kids. Teaching was exhausting but such an eye-opening experience; they are so eager to learn and curious about the various countries and cultures from which we came. As for cultural immersion, we had lots of time to shop and explore the city, as well as excursions to religious sites and popular attractions both in Kathmandu (where my project was) and during the weekend trip to Pokhara (another city in Nepal).
By the end of my time in Nepal, I had fallen in love with the country, the culture, the local food, everything. I made some amazing friends and the feeling of seeing your hard work improve the lives of those less fortunate is beyond words. To anyone looking to make a difference in the world while expanding their own cultural horizons, I can't recommend Projects Abroad enough. You won't regret it!

• Projects Abroad responded to this review September 25, 2017 at 4:45 PM

Hi Marin. Sounds like you had a wonderful time in Nepal! We agree, working with children in Nepal can be challenging, but so worth it! They are always happy to meet volunteers from around the world and learn from their cultures. Thanks for sharing!

The International Volunteer Programs Association