Care Work in Morocco with Projects Abroad

Care Work in Morocco with Projects Abroad

Volunteering in Morocco

A few years ago, I did some volunteer work over the course of three weeks in Rabat, Morocco. Having only been there on holiday, I was a little nervous as to what to expect. After attending a volunteer fair in Toronto, I decided to register with Projects Abroad. I have to say, their communication and organization put me at ease immediately. All my questions and concerns were addressed in full detail and I knew exactly what to expect when I arrived.

They placed me with another girl volunteering with the program. We lived with a Moroccan family in the old medina in Rabat. We ate and chatted with the host family every evening. It was also Ramadan so it was interesting to see what traditions the family celebrates during this time. Talk about getting immersed in the culture!

I volunteered at a day care centre just outside the medina with the loveliest women. We would care for children under the age of five. There were different activity centres we had for them, reading of the Quran, snack time and nap time. I work with children for a living so it was a wonderful experience being able to care for children and learn more about the day to day life in Morocco.

Representatives from Projects Abroad were always available for us. They were so helpful when it came to the smallest things (i.e. buying the right kind of "savon noir") to checking in on us when we were ill (and I got REALLY sick!). They also organized get togethers for volunteers in the city so that we were able to share our experiences with other foreigners there as well.

My gran experiencia como voluntaria

Un voluntariado en el extranjero siempre fue algo que veía como un sueño muy difícil de cumplir sin embargo cuando vi la posibilidad no la dejé escapar. A través de la organización Projects Abroad comprobé que había muchísimos destinos por todo el mundo a los que podías ir para hacer actividades de voluntariado sin la necesidad de ser mayor edad y de entre todas las opciones me decanté por Marruecos.
El voluntariado duró dos semanas y durante ese tiempo disfruté tremendamente de la estancia trabajando en un centro comunitario para niños en el que organizaba junto a otros voluntarios actividades y juegos con los pequeños y ayudábamos en tareas de mantenimiento y reforma del centro. Además durante el tiempo que estuve viví en la Medina con una familia marroquí que me acogió como a una más. Durante esas dos semanas aprendí muchísimo y tuve contacto con gente de todos los lugares del mundo: Marruecos, Pakistán, Canadá, Francia, Austria, Estados Unidos… Puedo decir sin ninguna duda que fue una experiencia que no solo me sirvió para conocer lo que hay ahí fuera y abrir mis horizontes, sino también para conocerme a mi misma.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review February 01, 2017 at 6:22 PM

¡Hola María! Gracias por compartirnos tu experiencia en Marruecos. Sabemos que hay muchos jóvenes con el espíritu de ayudar donde más se necesita, por lo que ofrecemos proyectos para adolescentes como tú. Muchas gracias por tu ayuda y entusiasmo. Nos alegra que haya sido una experiencia de aprendizaje y donde hayas podido hacer grandes nuevos amigos de todas partes del mundo. ¡Te esperamos en tu próximo proyecto!

Incredible Two Weeks in Morocco

Over the summer, I went on a two-week high school special trip to Rabat, Morocco, with Projects Abroad. I can say with no exaggeration that those were two of the best weeks of my life.
To start off, Projects Abroad is extremely well organized. Throughout my trip, the staff supported me from the moment I stepped off the plane to the moment I boarded my flight home. They made everything easy, including transportation, exchanging money, getting a Moroccan sim card, and finding local cafes and wifi hotspots.
My host family was incredible. My roommate and I ate most of our meals with our host family in their big sitting room. We always looked forward to eating: our mom was an incredible cook! Breakfast usually consisted of fresh bread, jam, and a nutella-like spread, with fresh fruit as well. We usually had a late afternoon tea, and our host mom would invite her friends and family to these gatherings. We would munch on pastries and of course, mint tea, a delicious Moroccan specialty. For lunch and dinner, we usually had couscous or tagine, an incredible Moroccan dish. After dinner, we’d often partake in a game of Uno with our host brother, or would walk to local parks and cafes with our host sister. There was never a dull moment at home.
The volunteer placement was extremely enjoyable, and I felt like I was really helping the children I worked with. We worked at a care center in Salé, which was a type of summer camp for underprivileged children. We spent half the day working with the children, who ranged in age from four to sixteen. We played games with them, did arts and crafts, held sports tournaments, and even taught them some English. The children were energetic, positive, and eager to learn: overall a joy to work with. The other half of the day we spent working on small projects around the facility. We cleaned up the center’s gardens, built some concrete benches, and painted a mural. After we left, the center looked better than ever.
I made some lifelong friends on the trip: the other volunteers were amazing, interesting people who came from all over the world. Together (and with the help of the Projects Abroad staff), we explored the medina, went shopping, drank tons and tons of tea, took night walks on the beach, and even went to a Moroccan music festival. I would recommend a Projects Abroad trip to anyone who wants to experience a new culture, improve his or her language skills, and really make a difference in the world. I’ll never forget my time in Morocco.

The International Volunteer Programs Association