Care in Tanzania with Projects Abroad

Care in Tanzania with Projects Abroad

Hakuna Matata

In Swahili, "hakuna matata" means "no problems," and this was exactly my experience in Tanzania with Projects Abroad. My project was the perfect combination of volunteer work, cultural immersion, and travel. Living with a host family created an environment where I was truly allowed to live the local life--I ate African food for every meal, practiced Swahili with my host family, and gossiped with the house girl while she would braid my hair. I lived with another volunteer, my new Japanese sister, and we would ride the daladala (Tanzanian public transportation) together to work, the Maasai Market, and the office almost every week. On the weekends, the other volunteers and I viewed amazing animals on safaris, laid on the beaches of Zanzibar, hiked Mount Meru, and swam in the Hot Springs.

The volunteer placements are very organized and often you find yourself working with other volunteers from Project Abroad. They also have a child database so that volunteers are able to monitor and track benchmarks for the children at the orphanages. This allows for consistency despite volunteer turnover. I was placed at a wonderful orphanage with 50 children where I worked in the middle classroom. Every morning we sang songs and danced before we started our daily lessons. I spent five days a week with the children which really allowed for me to bond with almost all of them despite only being there a month. At any point in my placement if I had questions, the Projects Abroad staff was very responsive and helpful. My time in Tanzania allowed me to meet lifelong friends, travel to beautiful locations, and walk into work while being bombarded by hugs.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review August 28, 2017 at 3:40 PM

Dear Alana. Sounds like you really had a Hakuna Matata-kind of trip! That's wonderful to hear! We do believe that the best volunteer experience combines the actual volunteer work with travelling, cultural immersion, and sharing with other international volunteers. Looks like you checked off all these items during your trip! Hope to see you again in Tanzania soon.

Tanzania with Projects Abroad!

I am still amazed at how beneficial and fun my trip to Tanzania with Projects Abroad was. I stayed in a host family with 4 other volunteers and our 2 group leaders. Our family had 2 young girls that we loved playing with every day and became super close with. The host family experience alone was so so valuable. With Projects Abroad I felt super accounted for, the itinerary had each day planned with a broad range of activities, but at the same time leaders were really great at adjusting schedules to the what the group needed or wanted. For example on my trip my group went on walks around our area almost every night. The volunteer experience was so awesome, because with this program if we decided we wanted to give a little extra to an orphanage or school projects abroad would allow that. I strongly recommend Projects Abroad to anyone looking for an awesome and rewarding volunteer trip!!!

• Projects Abroad responded to this review December 19, 2016 at 11:04 AM

HI arg1999!
    Thank you for sharing your experience! Some volunteers are a bit nervous about staying with a host family, but we agree, it is a super rewarding experience that truly immerses you into the local culture, isn't it? Thank you for your trust and your wonderful help in Tanzania :)

The International Volunteer Programs Association