Care in South Africa with Projects Abroad

Care in South Africa with Projects Abroad

My unforgettable experience!

My trip to South Africa was phenomenal! I am blown away by the beauty of the country and the people! I volunteered for the child care program in Cape town for two weeks. I worked directly with the children and assisted the staff with creating programs that will enhance their social-emotional development and academic abilities. The other volunteers and I taught the children basic hygiene practices through songs and visual prompts. Seeing the children learn while having fun was very rewarding! The principle was constantly expressing her gratitude and pointed out how happy the children were having us around to play and learn with. I will never forget all the moments of playing, singing, eating, having small talks, doing arts and crafts and reading! They will forever stay in my heart and memory. I am impressed by the professionalism and support Projects Abroad staff members offer. Being that it was my first time traveling alone overseas, I was nervous and skeptical about booking my flight. The travel team was patient with me and helped me book my flight. This gave me a sense of peace and security. I appreciate the attentiveness staff members provided during my stay in South Africa. They made sure I was safe and satisfied at all times.
My host family were sweet and welcoming. The meals were delicious and there were always snacks and fruits available (which helped for long days at work). It was interesting living with five roommates from all around the world. I was able to learn about different cultures and upbringings. From talking about our day at work to going on unforgettable adventures together, everyday was filled with excitement! I will forever be grateful to Projects Abroad for creating such amazing opportunities for people to give to those in need in exchange for a life changing experience. I went on this trip with an open heart to help children and came back filled with compassion and hope!

• Projects Abroad responded to this review September 11, 2017 at 12:13 PM

Dear Heidi. What a lovely picture! Thank you for joining us and helping the children in South Africa. We are thrilled to have been part of your life-changing experience. Hope to see you again soon in another one of our programs!

Volunteering at a Special Needs Center

My name is Hannah Elliott-Higgins and I am currently a junior at the College of William and Mary studying Psychology and Art. Halfway through my sophomore year, I decided that I wanted to take a semester off to volunteer and get real world experience. I worked with a program coordinator and told her I was interested in working with children with disabilities. She immediately set me up with Projects Abroad South Africa. It was a perfect fit and I cannot speak highly enough of the program.
I was placed at the Sunrise Special Care Centre located in Heathfield, which is a suburb about 30 minutes outside of Cape Town. There I was able to do basic occupational and physical therapy with a staff who were nothing short of amazing. They were all kind, outgoing, and spoke highly of all the previous Projects Abroad volunteers that had worked there.
I stayed with a host family who lived just one street over from the Centre, which was wonderful since it allowed me to walk and not even worry about transportation. The area was safe and my host family was wonderful. They went out of their way to make sure I was comfortable and felt at home and also made sure to accommodate my dietary restrictions.
I worked Monday-Friday but on the weekends I had free time to do whatever I liked. I lived with three other girls who were Projects Abroad volunteers, so we were easily able to go exploring. The Projects Abroad staff also organized many socials so that all the volunteers could get to know each other. They also explained all the various methods of transportation so within the first two weeks of being there, I felt very comfortable traveling.
All in all, the Projects Abroad staff were incredible throughout my program as well as before and after. Months before I planned to leave, they set me up with my own information page so I would be able to keep up to date with everything that I needed to do. They checked in every step of the way and responded to all of my emails promptly. While there, the support was less obvious, but they were always available to help with anything. They checked in three separate times in the two months I was there, and each time they had me fill out a questionnaire to ensure everything was going smoothly. Finally, once I returned, they emailed me to check in and give me the opportunity to provide any feedback.
Overall, this is an amazing program and I would highly recommend to anyone who is looking to do international volunteer work.

The International Volunteer Programs Association