Care in Ghana Alternative Spring Break Trip

Care in Ghana Alternative Spring Break Trip

Ghana spring break

Hi my name is Emily and this past spring break I attended a trip with Projects Abroad. I went to Ghana, Africa and it was the best trip of my life! To start, the other girls I volunteered with were great and fun to talk to since they were all from different countries. We had such a home-y host mom and aunt the food they made us was delicious and made me feel like a part of the culture. Working was the best part and Richard and Gifti, the staff that lead my group and I, were so helpful. They made sure to explain everything and help us any chance we needed so that we could focus on the patients. They also made sure we were able to experience the culture with trips to a nature reserve, a restaurant, and an art market in our spare time. Any travel-anxiety was gone because Projects Abroad was so helpful.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review April 27, 2017 at 4:30 PM

Hi Emily. Thanks for sharing! Our staff is always happy to make our volunteers experience go as smoothly as possible. Being in a different country can be a bit challenging at first, but it's always easier with the help of our friendly host families, volunteer community and local staff, isn`t it? It's great you got to fully explore the beautiful Ghanian culture! Hope you can visit again soon!

One week in Akuapem Hills, Ghana

I traveled to Ghana during my college's spring break. It was a great experience! My host family was welcoming and provided cultural food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The other volunteers and I were able to explore the area and learn about the culture, meet the people, and go on trips (markets, botanical gardens, hiking). I spent the week volunteering in a school and orphanage. The Projects Abroad staff was kind and helpful as they explained what my roles and responsibilities of the week were, how to get to my placement, and introduced me to the staff at the placement. The children I worked with were energetic and playful. They welcomed me into the orphanage and school and showed me where they played, did homework, where their animals lived, and much more.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review April 27, 2017 at 4:25 PM

Hi Felicia. Sounds like you had quite a different Spring Break in Ghana! It's great that you got to immerse yourself in the culture with the help of your host family as well as your fellow volunteers! Rest assured, your impact in the orphanage and school will still be felt, long after you have returned home. Thanks for sharing!

The International Volunteer Programs Association