Peru Vivential Header Image Peru Vivential Header Image

Teaching English Program

A wonderful experience!

I first came to volunteer here in August 2016 for a month, and I enjoyed it so much I came back again in November for another 2 months!!
The organisation runs two programmes, teaching English to both children and to adults, and there is also the chance to help out at a Rescue centre for street dogs.
Even though I had no experience with teaching before, I thought I would like to give it a go.....and am so glad that I did! The organisation leader, William, supports each volunteer and after a couple of days I felt confident enough to lead the classes. The children are so loving and it is very easy to feel like you really are making a difference to them. Learning English really opens up windows of opportunity for these kids, whose futures otherwise may be pretty limited.
I helped out in the dog shelter too and wanted to bring most of them home with me!
The volunteer apartment is safe and a happy place where everyone does their best to make you feel at home and everyone mucks in to plan classes, and practise their Spanish.
There are loads of different activities arranged at weekends too, never a dull moment! We went surfing, sandboarding, to night clubs and also on tours to the archaeological sites nearby. The beach resort of Huanchaco is a short bus journey away, so I even got to work on my tan!
A great experience all round, and a great way of meeting not only other volunteers from all over the world, but also lots of local people who were really happy to share their culture.
Highly recommended!