Music students performing on stage Music students performing on stage

Music Volunteering in the Philippines

my (very) mixed stay in the philippines

At first I have to say: I love the philippines and I love(d) my five weeks there, even though there were some problems for me.

When I came here, I had in mind to teach music - I never did it before and I was told it would be no problem, I would be there as an assistant teacher and I don't have to bring that many materials with me so I came with 3 books and of course my flute. But the first problem was already waiting: it rained so much that the school was flooded but it was actually pretty nice so I went to a feeding project and I loved to make this experience. But when I started to go to the school it was so different from what I expected: I was told to be the only teacher - the main teachers just left the room after the beginning of the lesson -, they had no material for me and I had no knowledge on how to teach children. I tried my very best but after one and a half weeks I said to myself that I couldn't do it for nearly 4 more weeks and I told the people from VFV. They were super friendly and understood me and asked me to join a nutrition program and I am much more happier there.

Besides the fact that I am not made for teaching (I thought I would be but you always learn more), the music volunteering project is a unique experience, the people and especially the children in the school are so open minded and friendly, they want to get you to know and I am still very happy that I came here.

I spent my free time with new friends here, there are enough other volunteers at every age so it is impossible not to find somebody to be friends with. I just got sick three times in five weeks but I think that this is my mistake but that didn't keep me away from exploring the very beautiful philippines and I am very happy to spend four more weeks here after my programm will finish in already four days and I am really not ready to leave this amazing place!

Music in the Philippines

Overall the volunteer program in the Philippines was a very meaningful and enriching experience. It is a relatively new program having just restarted in recent months after being shut down by the typhoon so there were a few snags in the beginning but everything was dealt with and resolved quickly. When I first got there I found out that my volunteer placement was only going to be three days a week in the mornings, I was hoping to be more involved in volunteer work than that and after talking with the in-country staff other opportunities were found. The homestay family was very welcoming and made sure that I felt comfortable. Overall I was very happy with my experience in the Philippines and would definitely consider going back.