Dance Internship in Ecuador
Music students performing on stage Music students performing on stage

Dance Internship in Ecuador

A surreal and transformative journey

I will need time to ruminate more about my experience and I feel words will never truly be able to express the magnitude of gratitude I feel for my experiences I had abroad. I learned much about my limitations and strengths. The PAA organization especially Diana helped me adjust to the new environment exceptionally well. I felt safe and prepared to adapt to the new paradigm with the knowledge given to me prior, the remarkably wonderful family I was placed in, the people of Sinamune with their hearts of Gold and the incredible Diana (our coordinator from Ecuador). I am beyond pleased with my experience. I feel I could have stayed happily for several more months.

Quito-SINAMUNE

I was extremely pleased to be able to use dance in working with people with disabilities in Quito. The one-on-one classes were invaluable to my learning and cultural immersion. My family was welcoming and respectful. I was appreciative to have times on the weekends to travel around the country. Diana who worked for Ecua Explora were fantastic. However, I was told we would have weekly events which I was looking forward to because my friend in the program lived so far (that time and the weekends was the only time we saw each other) and this didn't end up happening. She was quite pregnant and while I understood she had to take time off, I wished her replacement had come earlier. All in all, this program was great. I felt safe, supported and that I had a remarkably unique experience unattainable without PAA.

Dance Internship in Ecuador

I had an excellent experience interning/volunteering in Quito Ecuador. For two months I worked at a school for young adults with mental disabilities. Ecuador is an excellent destination if you are looking to improve your Spanish language skills. Also, there are many volunteers in Quito from all over the world. Some days it was difficult to get up and go to work; however, I was able to learn a lot at my project. Although I do not think that I will focus my future on working with students with special needs, I feel that this experience helped me to come to that decision. My communication skills and understanding of people with special needs developed throughout this experience as well. Overall, the people I worked with at the school, my homestay family and directors helped me have a positive experience. I would recommend this experience to any person who wants to grow and develop in their art and as a person.