Intern or Research Abroad in Iceland with Panrimo!
Panrimo Header Image Panrimo Header Image

Intern or Research Abroad in Iceland with Panrimo!

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Studying abroad in Iceland was a decision made after seeing my favorite inspiring movie "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty". I imagined my experience there would be almost identical as the movie. Skateboarding past beautiful landscapes would have to be altered a bit since I don't skateboard, but I did manage to bring a foldable bike with me to Iceland which definitely came in handy and gave me the privilege to go anywhere. I imagined I would be surrounded by grazing sheep and exploding volcanoes, so I packed very outdoorsy clothing and I made the decision before arriving that I would spend my time sight seeing and traveling everywhere outside of the city.

Once arriving I knew my experience in Iceland would be different. The weather took some getting used to because I am from California and spoiled by our weather here, however, now that I am home I do miss the drizzling there. The shopping experience was different because the produce is very scarce and not the best unless you are a millionaire. But besides these two flaws, Iceland became a place that I will never forget and I plan to return this upcoming year to visit some very loyal friends that I made. Which is kind of funny because I literally thought I was going to be on my own traveling Iceland just avoiding people and sticking to myself. However, it was almost impossible to avoid people (especially the ones from class) because they all have so many cool experiences to hear about, learn from, and maybe even try yourself.

On top of that, of course, what is a summer trip without a summer crush? <3 Iceland is full of opportunities to meet very genuine people, I was not the only one who found a very important person in Iceland, and I can tell you that my trip (or my life) would not have been the same without him. Our class stood together every single day during the week and usually planed events for the whole class to attend on the weekends and week nights, so friendships and more will be made.

Furthermore, our class was so welcoming and the staff at Reykjavik University knew exactly how to treat tourists and make us feel welcomed and at home. In addition, Downtown Reykjavik is so lively and the bars are open for what seems like forever. Before ending this review, I just want to state that Fernanda, who was more of a friend than a tour guide, even though, of course she did her job professionally, is one of the most well-rounded and interesting people I met in Iceland. Her stories are memorable and the experience in Iceland was great with her by our side. Just for the record, everything she recommended me to try, worked perfectly or tasted perfect, so, remember that. Also, the catfish at Bergsson is still something I think about and wish I could eat it one more time.

Thank you Panrimo for everything. Iceland would not have been the same without your support and the very exciting trips and excursions included in our trip.

Best,
Christina

Iceland studying

This program was a very rewarding. I have never done a study abroad programs before. I am happy I chose panrimo I have gone on so many different adventures in iceland with this program. The class is very informative on different energy sources that are used in for electricity and heating. I suggest this program to anyone interested in learning about iceland and the energy sector. Thank you for such a wonderful experience.