Volunteer with Sun Bears in Borneo
Program participants Program participants

Volunteer with Sun Bears in Borneo

Meeting the bears

As my first trip overseas, it was very ambitious of me to go to Borneo. It was terrifying. But Oyster helped me through every step of the process and after plenty of planning, asking questions and researching, I was just about ready to go. The transfer from airport to accommodation was timed perfectly, and on arrival I was welcomed by the project supervisor, Mark. He was friendly, helpful and reassuring. My first day of volunteering was difficult, as I was jet lagged and didn't adjust to working in the heat too well! But the whole team were great, they checked on me regularly and all of them were happy to take over my chores if I needed a break to sit down. I had an amazing two weeks with them, getting to know the bears and the people. Two weeks was just about enough to learn my way around, settle in and enjoy the time. I would definitely recommend a longer stay though! Minimum of 4 weeks, if you can!
Oyster were very helpful through the booking and travel processes, answering any small questions I had and providing extra information. As Anne has visited the animal welfare projects, she knows how they all work, accomodation and the people. It was very reassuring to know that it's all been checked, so I would be safe and well looked after, as I had only just turned 18! Overall, it was an incredible experience and I am going back to visit the bear sanctuary this summer to see how they're all doing. It's a great way to see a new country, immerse yourself in the culture and be part of an incredible team who are making progress in helping this beautiful bear species.