Volunteer with Overseas Project Initiative in Ghana!
Overseas Project Initiative  Header Image Overseas Project Initiative  Header Image

Volunteer with Overseas Project Initiative in Ghana!

Medical/Health care internship in Koforidua

I stayed in Koforidua for 3.5 weeks on a medical/health care internship in a small clinic situated in the city center. I also got to take part in a community outreach medical program one day a week. Professionally, the amount of learning opportunities was great, I feel like I have learned so much just by being here. Personally, this trip has also been amazing, we had a very caring host family always making sure that we were safe, Micky and Kwasi (the coordinators for OPI) have been so helpful throughout our trip and have been our best allies and friends all along. Whether it was to just go for a drink or to the gym, to answer our questions, to help us organize weekend trips or just be there with us, they were always available. I feel so grateful for this trip and would recommend OPI and Ghana to anyone that is ready to open their eyes to a new culture, to new people and to new experiences.

THANK YOU !

No voluntourism, but the real experience!

Choose this programme if you want the real experience!
Voluntourism is a hotly debated issue, sometimes even with negative consequences for the local population. This project is different. My stay in Ghana met all my expectations. Through assisting local entrepreneurs with micro loans in setting up new businesses, I not only supported a thriving economy, I also learned reaaally a lot on organising, on communication, on economic developments and social relations.
The assistance by Kwasi and his team was impressive. Not only do they provide help for the necessary stuff (host family, explaining the project), they also truly invest in having the volunteers get to know the culture. I was taught how to have basic conversations in the local language Twi, how to get around in Ghana, where to best buy your stuff, and I was given free tours in the forests, as we made our way to one of the villages.

Don't worry. Ghana proved completely safe, especially the inlands. The country's records are among the best in Sub-Sahara Africa. Democracy is well-established and it's economy is booming. Furthermore, the guidance in the projects is very good. Through the social activities, you'll hear about all the other programmes that the other volunteers do. In the weekend there's time for you to explore the beauty of nature in Ghana. So, don't hesitate any longer!

If you are not going for that 'awesome' FB profile picture, but for experiencing life in Ghana, to see how you can contribute to the development of the local community, this is the opportunity you should seize.

Ghana itself is clear in its communication: "Akwaaba." You are welcome.

Life changing

Michael and Kwasi provided great support, communication, and safety in a country that needs much help. I had the opportunity to educate students in orphanages and elementary schools about oral hygiene and interact with medical professionals in a hospital setting. Additionally, in my free time, the staff provided fun activities and travel recommendations. My experience in Ghana was a combination of academics, cultural education, and a realization that this country is in need of help. I am happy to call Michael and Kwasi my friends and look forward to returning to Ghana in the future.

Volunteer in Ghana!

I stayed in Ghana for 3 months and I had such a wonderful time there. I met so many lovely people, gained a lot of new experiences and the organization was very helpful and caring. I really recommend it and I can't wait to go back!

Koforidua and Ghana - what an experience!

Spending only a month in Ghana I left with mixed emotions as it was by far the best experience of my life that had now had to come to an end.
Everyday was something new, there were many challenges along the way but so many memories made. Koforidua was my home and that's exactly what it felt like. I had the support and a social life with the other volunteers and my host family literally made me feel like a long lost daughter. I was immersed in culture, love, fun and experience and working at the school and orphanage has given me lessons and taught me more than I ever dreamed of. Go Abroad were amazing, and I couldn't recommend them high enough. From answering questions, to taking you out and showing you all that Ghana has to offer they are a very humble and wonderful team. Can't wait to come back!