Volunteer with Overseas Project Initiative in Ghana!
Overseas Project Initiative  Header Image Overseas Project Initiative  Header Image

Volunteer with Overseas Project Initiative in Ghana!

Medical volunteering in Ghana

I spent three and half weeks in Koforidua, Ghana as a medical intern/volunteer in a small clinic in town.
I found my stay to be enriching personally and professionally.
The Overseas Project Initiative team was very helpful throughout my stay and I am happy to call them my friends now.
The host family in which we stayed was so welcoming, it felt like home right away.
I was also very happy with my placement at the clinic where I learned a lot about healthcare in Ghana.

I would strongly recommend OPI and Ghana to any person that is willing to engage in a new experience abroad, to discover new places and a new culture.

My Ghananian experience

I spent 3 weeks in Ghana with Overseas Project Initiative and time flew very fast. I took part in the medical program; it was a fulfilling experience and I would like to recommend it to anybody interested in volunteering and internships abroad. The doctors are very kind and helpful as well as the host family. The coordinator will provide you with any type of support and he will be always available. In general people in Ghana are very friendly and are able to make you feel at home. It's an experience that will change your life and make you discover a new beautiful culture!

Discovering Ghana and supporting education!

I had the pleasure to take part in the teaching program offered by Overseas Project Initiative and it was an amazing experience! The organization aims at helping the community of Koforidua in many ways: I had the chance to observe different educational approaches, teach a wide range of subjects and suggest a few recommendations in order to improve the Royal Academy School. Our host family was always kind, friendly and willing to help me. Kwasi, the coordinator, is one of the best people I ever met in my life. He made me understand better both Ghanaian people and their culture. It was great to analyse together those social situations that need constant support and find different solutions so as to provide small but significant changes. Little changes can make a huge difference!
Highly recommended experience! Thank you for everything!:)
Desi

The experience of a lifetime

My name is Nichole and I traveled to Ghana in 2013 and worked with this program for 4 months. It was an amazing experience to say the least. The staff became my good friends and were always there for me when I needed them. They are all reliable, friendly, and genuinely good people with good hearts. As for the experience, it is one in a million. You will be exposed to a healthcare setting that is unlike anything you will experience in your homeland. Be prepared to observe anything! Another plus to this experience is that the health professionals need help wherever they can find it, and will not hesitate to ask for your assistance. If you establish good relations with a doctor or nurse they will allow you to help them with almost any task, so put yourself out there and don't be shy. My absolute favorite part of the trip was the medical outreaches. During these days you travel to schools and orphanages and provide general first aid to the children. This includes disinfecting mosquito wounds, treating ringworm, providing food and toothbrushes, malaria testing, etc. If you stay long enough you may also revisit the schools and orphanages and be able to provide ongoing care to the kids and grow a relationship with some of them. This was my favorite part because you really get to do the most hands on work and interact with the children and experience a village away from the big city hospitals. On my last week there, we all pitched in a couple of dollars and made a big feast for the kids at one particular orphanage and it really made their day. This was a great way to spend time with the staff and just give back to the community. The homestay experience I had was great, there was always a meal waiting for me in the morning, my host-mother was truly amazing. The cost of living in Ghana is very affordable so you will also enjoy that perk! Ghana is a great country to travel to and has some of the most friendly people you will ever meet. This is a trip for the adventurous souls, and even if you're not one, the kind staff and friends you will meet will help you emerge into the culture. As long as you stick to your basic travel safeties and keep an open mind you will not regret this trip!

No voluntourism, but the real experience!

Choose this programme if you want the real experience!
Voluntourism is a hotly debated issue, sometimes even with negative consequences for the local population. This project is different. My stay in Ghana met all my expectations. Through assisting local entrepreneurs with micro loans in setting up new businesses, I not only supported a thriving economy, I also learned reaaally a lot on organising, on communication, on economic developments and social relations.
The assistance by Kwasi and his team was impressive. Not only do they provide help for the necessary stuff (host family, explaining the project), they also truly invest in having the volunteers get to know the culture. I was taught how to have basic conversations in the local language Twi, how to get around in Ghana, where to best buy your stuff, and I was given free tours in the forests, as we made our way to one of the villages.

Don't worry. Ghana proved completely safe, especially the inlands. The country's records are among the best in Sub-Sahara Africa. Democracy is well-established and it's economy is booming. Furthermore, the guidance in the projects is very good. Through the social activities, you'll hear about all the other programmes that the other volunteers do. In the weekend there's time for you to explore the beauty of nature in Ghana. So, don't hesitate any longer!

If you are not going for that 'awesome' FB profile picture, but for experiencing life in Ghana, to see how you can contribute to the development of the local community, this is the opportunity you should seize.

Ghana itself is clear in its communication: "Akwaaba." You are welcome.

Life changing

Michael and Kwasi provided great support, communication, and safety in a country that needs much help. I had the opportunity to educate students in orphanages and elementary schools about oral hygiene and interact with medical professionals in a hospital setting. Additionally, in my free time, the staff provided fun activities and travel recommendations. My experience in Ghana was a combination of academics, cultural education, and a realization that this country is in need of help. I am happy to call Michael and Kwasi my friends and look forward to returning to Ghana in the future.

Volunteer in Ghana!

I stayed in Ghana for 3 months and I had such a wonderful time there. I met so many lovely people, gained a lot of new experiences and the organization was very helpful and caring. I really recommend it and I can't wait to go back!

Be curious and try to understand why things are different!

I have a dream of working abroad after I graduate, and my time in Ghana has reinforced my thoughts, and convinced that I am on the right track. I spent 10 weeks in regional hospital doing medical internship. It was hectic, there was a lot work to do and the more you wanted to be involved the more you also were allowed to take part. I think this is all about the attitude, and even though I would highly recommend the program for others, I would still say that go only if you want real work experience. Tourism or just hanging around is not something these people need in their daily work since there are real problems to take care of. Eventually I spent most of my time at the hospital, but this was what I wanted from my internship. The length of working days also depends on the ward you decide to stay.

I got along well with my host family, I felt safe the whole time and stayed healthy too. Project coordinators are always there for you, and I never hesitated to ask things from them if I needed advice. The information I got beforehand was sufficient and also true.

Everything worked out eventually - Ghana style ! It is not an experience if everything is the same than home, right? Be active, ask, then ask again and then ask third time. If you can forget your ways of doing things for a second, adaptation is faster and easier.

Koforidua and Ghana - what an experience!

Spending only a month in Ghana I left with mixed emotions as it was by far the best experience of my life that had now had to come to an end.
Everyday was something new, there were many challenges along the way but so many memories made. Koforidua was my home and that's exactly what it felt like. I had the support and a social life with the other volunteers and my host family literally made me feel like a long lost daughter. I was immersed in culture, love, fun and experience and working at the school and orphanage has given me lessons and taught me more than I ever dreamed of. Go Abroad were amazing, and I couldn't recommend them high enough. From answering questions, to taking you out and showing you all that Ghana has to offer they are a very humble and wonderful team. Can't wait to come back!