Construction & Renovation Volunteering Programs
Our Generation Voluntary Organisation Header Image Our Generation Voluntary Organisation Header Image

Construction & Renovation Volunteering Programs

A fantastic opportunity for a volunteer!

The pick up at the airport went smooth overall, our host father Seth was easily found because of his OGVO sign. It was late in the evening but Seth was really friendly and comforting. After a taxi ride for an hour we arrived in our room. Our room was really clean and nice, it had a ceiling fan, four beds and a light.
The day after we landed Seth gave us an introduction to the project and the Ghanian culture, which was nice and clear. He gave us some papers, including: the general rules, text about the project and an overview about how we can support. From Monday to Thursday we helped with the building and met the kids. The kids were very friendly and playful. Friday we went to the beach with Naomi, our host mother. Saturday we went to Kassoa and Sunday we did our laundry with Naomi.
The week after we helped building from Monday until Friday. Saturday we went to Hakum National Park, which was very nice and fun. Sunday we went to experience the Ghanian church, which is very different from the Belgian church.
Last but not least the food: we got three meals a day, which were all very nicely made and delicious, thanks to Naomi!
Overall one of the greatest opportunities a volunteer could wish for!

My wonderful experience at Heshbon Foundation!

I went as a constructing volunteer to Ghana with my boyfriend. When we arrived at the airport, I was very nervous. It was my first time in Africa.
I was really glad when we saw Seth, our host father, with the OGVO plate. We drove an hour in a taxi before we got to our room. Our room was very nice!
Sunday was our orientation day, here we learned all about the culture and the do’s and don’ts. We also met Naomi, she is part of the host family. She prepares the best food for us, cares for the orphans and is a teacher.
After this we went to the Heshbon’s kids Academy. This is where we spent 3 weeks trying our best to help build a better school for the needy kids in Senya Beraku and nearby villages.
The first week we needed to help with the bricklaying. This mainly means carrying bricks and mixing mortar. The second week I mostly painted in the classrooms and played with the kids. The last week of our stay, we mainly made a block out of concrete for the water tank, so they can fill it properly.
I really liked working with Seth, a local volunteer, a workman, the kids and the teachers. It was an honour!
In the weekend we did a lot of fantastic things: going to the beach and church (where I wore an typical African dress) with Naomi and to a nearby city with Seth. They are the best!
It were a memorable three weeks of my life! A real journey and an experience I’m glad to take home! We will try our best to fund this project so much more once we are back in Belgium!
All my love,