Operation Wallacea- Peru
Operation Wallacea Operation Wallacea

Operation Wallacea- Peru

Life on the Amazon for a month: the trip of a lifetime

A typical day on the Opwall Peru Expedition: waking up in the morning to the sight of river dolphins fishing, flocks of macaws and cormorants zipping by, and the roaring of howler monkeys in the distance - bashing through spiny waterlogged palm swamps and catching piranhas by rod in the afternoon sun - searching for fantastic frogs, stumbling across stunning snakes and intriguing insects, hunting for caiman, all under the night sky's starry vault and the faint glow of the Milky Way - chatting to the ever-cheerful local guides with eagle eyes and sylvan wisdom and the wonderful expedition staff, all infected with jungle fever and dancing salsa even after a long day's work. All while staying on what I must say are truly luxurious field conditions aboard the Rio Amazonas riverboat, which comes with an air-conditioned library and even a snack bar!

The sheer variety of different wildlife surveys available mean that you'll never get bored, and you can also choose to specialise in those that really fit your interests, be it in mammals, birds, herpetofauna, insects, plants or fish. The data goes to conserving the massive Pacaya-Samiria reserve and helping the local villagers hunt and fish sustainably; they're your guides and you get to visit their villages as well, which really makes what you're doing feel tangible.

Absolutely no regrets going for this trip, and I will remember it forever.

No regrets

The 4 weeks I stayed in the Amazon were the best and most exciting of my life! All of the experiences are impossible to capture on camera and so are seen best through your own eyes. You stay with a group of similar aged students and end up becoming such close friends. I would recommend this trip to everyone, I have no regrets. Go for as long as you can!

The ultimate immersive experience into life as an wildlife researcher!

I decided to go on the Opwall expedition to Peru in 2017, as I wanted to gain experience into what it's like to work in the field as a wildlife researcher, my role was as an Research Assistant and I can honestly say that it's one of the best things I've ever done! To wake up each morning knowing that you're about to head out to survey wildlife in an pristine Amazon ecosystem, is any wildlife enthusiasts dream and to be given the opportunity to do so is really incredible. When out on the surveys, you'll encounter a variety of wildlife and although you're there to do research, there is always time to enjoy and appreciate any sightings. I was lucky enough to spot a vast array of wildlife including Capybaras, Pink River Dolphins and a Tayra! You'll also learn an incredible amount whilst on the expedition, whether this being out on the surveys or from informative lectures given throughout the expedition from experts in the field and this is one of the main things I wanted to achieve from this whole experience. In summary, if you're looking for a program that will teach you a huge amount about working in conservation and you'd like to visit an ecosytem as incredible as the Amazon, then look no further than the Opwall Peru expedition! It's also worth mentioning that during the expedition you'll meet many other like minded people that all sure a similar passion to you and this leads to a wonderful sense of community within everyone involved on the expedition.

Possibly the most strange and exciting two weeks of my life

My experience with Operation Wallacea was fantastic.

Organising my expedition to Peru was relatively simple and there was a lot of support available when I had questions. I was provided with plenty of information before the trip.

I went on a two week expedition into the Peruvian rainforest and it was possibly the most strange and exciting two weeks of my life. Met some fascinating people from around the world. Everyone really friendly and welcoming. Accommodation on the research boats was fairly basic, but considering that you're living in the rainforest I think it's quite impressive to have hot meals, running water and real beds!

Despite the potential dangers of the rainforest, I felt safe and well looked after. It was reassuring to have a trained medic on site.

Those two weeks in the forest helped me realise that I'd like a future career in field research.

I think the only down side is the price. However, OpWall provided a lot of inspiration and support for how to fundraise for the expedition, which was really helpful. Overall I think the experience was well worth the money, especially as it includes accommodation and food for the expedition.

A truly fantastic experience

I had an absolute amazing time with OpWall when I went to Peru and performed a variety of surveys. My only regret was that I was only there for two weeks and not longer. I'm already dying to go again.

Opwall 4 Week Peru expedition

Honestly the best thing I have ever done. So well organised and planned. The staff were really welcoming and keen to share their knowledge. I was inspired by a project I didn't expect to be to the point where it has changed my direction of further study. I couldn't recommend the expedition highly enough, it was amazing.

Cold showers, strange foods, hours of travelling. All worth it!

The only unpleasant thing about this trip would be the inability to adjust shower temperatures and difficulties associated with drying clothes that have just been washed. Everything else about the trip was absolutely fantastic. I can honestly say I will miss the people I met more than the Amazon itself as we all got along so well. At the end of the trip it had felt like I had known some of the people for a lifetime when it had been merely 4 weeks.

Unforgettable, incredible trip

My trip with Opwall to Peru was amazing, it was so much better than I could have imagined and I really felt like I was helping to gather invaluable data that would really benefit the reserve. There were always so many different surveys to go out on, each run by a scientist and local guide who were both full of information. The program was run really well every step of the way and going on this expedition has given me a clearer idea of what I would like to in the future. I'd recommend a trip with Opwall to anyone considering a career in the biological sciences.

Peru 2017 - what a trip!

A once in a lifetime experience! Living on a boat on the Amazon for 4 weeks was fantastic and the variety of animal surveys was great. All of the staff are friendly and the Peruvian guides make you feel at home.

OpWall Peru- best month of my life

I had the most amazing time with OpWall this summer. Seeing the amazon was a once in a lifetime experience- and I couldn't recommend it enough! The work itself is amazing. There's such a wide range of surveys at this site, you really get to try a lot of different things and then, if you stay for 4 weeks like I did, you get to focus on what you enjoy the most (primates, personally).

I felt well-prepared before I left. OpWall give a lot of support with what to bring and are very prompt at answering any and every question. The staff at the site were supportive, the accomodation was great, considering we were in the middle of a rainforest, and the food was basic but tasty- me being a vegetarian wasn't a problem. If you do go (which you should) I'd recommed making an effort to get to know the local guides- it makes the experience a lot more rewarding.

An awe-inspiring jungle expedition

Going on the Opwall Peru trip has been one of the most valuable experiences of my life, as well as one of the most inspiring. Although challenging, both mentally and physically, everyone there is in the same boat, both literally and metaphorically. Yes, there are the mosquito swarms and the perpetual sweat but you're not alone in that. When you look back, what you'll remember far more vividly are the incredible wildlife encounters, such as being meters away from an inquisitive squirrel monkey or counting up to 20 river dolphins following your boat. The biologists are very knowledgeable and are keen to share their enthusiasm, with lectures providing important context to the data you are collecting. I would recommend this trip to anyone interested in biology, conservation or the natural world in general. You will not regret it.

Peru 2017

All I can say if be prepared to eat a lot of spaghetti and get constantly bitten my mosquitos. Apart from that you will have the time of your life. Such a wide variety of surveys to get involved with.

Peru 2017

Really enjoyed the trip, I only did 2 weeks and if I get the chance to do it again I will happily do a month! There was a large variety of activities to do, which meant that we got experience in multiple different conservation techniques.

Fieldwork in the Peruvian amazon

Every day we were helped different projects that were focused on determining population size of various groups of animals. The last two weeks were my favorite as we got to choose which projects we worked on. This allowed us to focus on what we were most interested and really get to know the biologists.