Operation Wallacea- Peru
Operation Wallacea Header Image Operation Wallacea Header Image

Operation Wallacea- Peru

Opwall 4 Week Peru expedition

Honestly the best thing I have ever done. So well organised and planned. The staff were really welcoming and keen to share their knowledge. I was inspired by a project I didn't expect to be to the point where it has changed my direction of further study. I couldn't recommend the expedition highly enough, it was amazing.

Cold showers, strange foods, hours of travelling. All worth it!

The only unpleasant thing about this trip would be the inability to adjust shower temperatures and difficulties associated with drying clothes that have just been washed. Everything else about the trip was absolutely fantastic. I can honestly say I will miss the people I met more than the Amazon itself as we all got along so well. At the end of the trip it had felt like I had known some of the people for a lifetime when it had been merely 4 weeks.

An awe-inspiring jungle expedition

Going on the Opwall Peru trip has been one of the most valuable experiences of my life, as well as one of the most inspiring. Although challenging, both mentally and physically, everyone there is in the same boat, both literally and metaphorically. Yes, there are the mosquito swarms and the perpetual sweat but you're not alone in that. When you look back, what you'll remember far more vividly are the incredible wildlife encounters, such as being meters away from an inquisitive squirrel monkey or counting up to 20 river dolphins following your boat. The biologists are very knowledgeable and are keen to share their enthusiasm, with lectures providing important context to the data you are collecting. I would recommend this trip to anyone interested in biology, conservation or the natural world in general. You will not regret it.

Peru 2017

All I can say if be prepared to eat a lot of spaghetti and get constantly bitten my mosquitos. Apart from that you will have the time of your life. Such a wide variety of surveys to get involved with.

Peru 2017

Really enjoyed the trip, I only did 2 weeks and if I get the chance to do it again I will happily do a month! There was a large variety of activities to do, which meant that we got experience in multiple different conservation techniques.

Fieldwork in the Peruvian amazon

Every day we were helped different projects that were focused on determining population size of various groups of animals. The last two weeks were my favorite as we got to choose which projects we worked on. This allowed us to focus on what we were most interested and really get to know the biologists.

Possibly the most strange and exciting two weeks of my life

My experience with Operation Wallacea was fantastic.

Organising my expedition to Peru was relatively simple and there was a lot of support available when I had questions. I was provided with plenty of information before the trip.

I went on a two week expedition into the Peruvian rainforest and it was possibly the most strange and exciting two weeks of my life. Met some fascinating people from around the world. Everyone really friendly and welcoming. Accommodation on the research boats was fairly basic, but considering that you're living in the rainforest I think it's quite impressive to have hot meals, running water and real beds!

Despite the potential dangers of the rainforest, I felt safe and well looked after. It was reassuring to have a trained medic on site.

Those two weeks in the forest helped me realise that I'd like a future career in field research.

I think the only down side is the price. However, OpWall provided a lot of inspiration and support for how to fundraise for the expedition, which was really helpful. Overall I think the experience was well worth the money, especially as it includes accommodation and food for the expedition.

A truly fantastic experience

I had an absolute amazing time with OpWall when I went to Peru and performed a variety of surveys. My only regret was that I was only there for two weeks and not longer. I'm already dying to go again.

Unforgettable, incredible trip

My trip with Opwall to Peru was amazing, it was so much better than I could have imagined and I really felt like I was helping to gather invaluable data that would really benefit the reserve. There were always so many different surveys to go out on, each run by a scientist and local guide who were both full of information. The program was run really well every step of the way and going on this expedition has given me a clearer idea of what I would like to in the future. I'd recommend a trip with Opwall to anyone considering a career in the biological sciences.

Peru 2017 - what a trip!

A once in a lifetime experience! Living on a boat on the Amazon for 4 weeks was fantastic and the variety of animal surveys was great. All of the staff are friendly and the Peruvian guides make you feel at home.

OpWall Peru- best month of my life

I had the most amazing time with OpWall this summer. Seeing the amazon was a once in a lifetime experience- and I couldn't recommend it enough! The work itself is amazing. There's such a wide range of surveys at this site, you really get to try a lot of different things and then, if you stay for 4 weeks like I did, you get to focus on what you enjoy the most (primates, personally).

I felt well-prepared before I left. OpWall give a lot of support with what to bring and are very prompt at answering any and every question. The staff at the site were supportive, the accomodation was great, considering we were in the middle of a rainforest, and the food was basic but tasty- me being a vegetarian wasn't a problem. If you do go (which you should) I'd recommed making an effort to get to know the local guides- it makes the experience a lot more rewarding.