Operation Wallacea - Indonesia
Operation Wallacea Header Image Operation Wallacea Header Image

Operation Wallacea - Indonesia

Hoga island

I have been a month in Hoga Island, and it was dream, a tiny island in the middle of the ocean with great coral reef and many fishes, the staff and the local was great and they made my adventure unforgettable.

Operation Wallacea - Hoga island

My time with Operation Wallacea on Hoga Island was an unforgettable experience. I would recommend anyone to take part in an expedition and I will definitely be returning to do another one soon. As an organisation they are amazing in the work that they do to conserve areas of biodiversity that are at risk all around the world. Aside from this the organisation and management of volunteers is excellent, I missed a flight on the way there and they were amazing at handling this and eventually got me to Hoga as quickly as they could. Overall I couldn't fault anything during my time in Indonesia and I can't wait to go back again!

Opwall expedition

One of the best and unforgettable trip I've ever taken! Lots of new experience especially in marine-related field, made friends for life and seeing a whole different world while in Hoga Island. Can't wait to do another expedition with opwall

Hoga island-2017

The experience lived by me on Hoga island was a solid 9/10. I have never travelled to that part of the world and was always curious. I was lucky enough to do my PADI openwater course on site which was very well organised and what better location to do it in? As a marine zoology student I have always been curious of the marine environment and going to the coral triangle in which there is the most biodiversity in terms of corals was a life changing experience. When i went there, it was after the catastrophic Godzilla El Niño event and i can only imagine what the ecosystem was like before all the bleaching events. The visions I saw will always be in my mind and I look forward to my next diving trip. The main reason I wanted to go, was not only because of curiosity but also because I wanted to see one of the most beautiful coral reefs before it will possible get destroyed further.

Indonesia - expedition 3

I had an absolutely amazing time during my 4-week expedition in Indonesia. I learnt so much during my trip, and both the practical skills and knowledge I gained will prove invaluable to me in the future. I loved being able to work alongside scientists who are experts in their respective field and in doing so I have experienced first-hand what biological field work is all about and having loved every second of it, I know I wish to pursue this in the future. The running of the programme whilst I was out there was brilliant; the staff were so friendly and the day to day activities always ran very efficiently. I would only change one thing for future expeditions and that is to have a greater community engagement, for example visit the local school in Labundo or help to prepare one of the meals with the local women in Lamoahi.

Excellent tuition

I undertook my undergraduate dissertation with Opwall for 6 weeks doing marine ecology in Indonesia, and it was one of the most productive 6 week periods of my life. Not only is the scenery amazing, the research life style, and the community that is formed between expeditioners and locals are definite highlights. Personally the real standout feature of using Opwall was the tuition i received while doing my project. All supervisors, along with the onsite scientist, were incredibly helpful and more can be learned by a student embracing the research life and conducting their own project at a research site than in any classroom at a university. I would highly recommend Opwall if you consider going into research as a career, want to produce a strong dissertation, or to gain outstanding scientific tuition and experience.

Amazing experience!

I went on a marine expedition to the Hoga site in Indonesia this summer and can honestly say it's been one of the best things I've ever done! The staff were great, the diving was incredible and the science facilities much better than I expected. I feel as if I have come back home with some really interesting data for my dissertation!

Mobile Bird Team

My time spent in Indonesia with Opwall was amazing. The knowledge and experience that I gained was incredible and could not have been acquired in a classroom. The people were fantastic and once I was in Indonesia it was very well organized and put together. The only complaint about this group that I have is that it wasn't very easy to actually prepare for the expedition. I live in Newfoundland and there is no branch of Opwall here. I had quite a few questions that no one really had the answers to. There were also a few things said about the payments (especially internal travel) that weren't very clear.

I am now the Group Leader at the MUN campus so I can help other students skip the bumps that I had to go through to register for my expedition. I did have a fabulous time, and met life long friends. I hope to encourage others to go and work with Opwall, to experience all the wonderful things that I did and so much more.

A life changing experience

For 2 years I've been preparing my expedition for Indonesia terrestrial site, so my expectations were really high! In a few days I realize that was what I wanted to do for life. Learning all the practical work of a conservation biologist was the most valuable knowledge to my future in this area. This two weeks in Indonesia forest helped me choosing my masters when I went back home. Furthermore, the daily life with the locals gave me another perspective of life. Being integrated into the culture, food, language and habits was the most unexpected and, at the same time, rewarding part of the expedition.
In Indonesia terrestrial site, Opwall have an amazing team, always willing to help and teach. The doctors (Alex and Novi) were truly concerned about our well-being and without Phill and Fifin this expedition wouldn't exceed my expectations (which were already quite high at the beginning).
Thank you for the opportunity!

Research assistant review

Thoroughly enjoyed my experience and would recommend to other students, although the whole trip was very expensive. I wish I was given more information on the research assistant role when diving as sometimes it felt as if I was only used as a buddy for someone else's work and not actually involved in any projects.

So much more than being a research assistant

I had the best time in Indonesia, I was primarily going with opwall to be a research assistant obviously, but it turned out to be a such more complete experience!! It was the first time I interacted with a culture so much different than the wester one, and I leaved there with a completely different view on third world country, the real quality of life, the human sympathy and compassion and the beautiful biodiverse areas that they occupy. The scientists were awesome and had awesome personalities, I loved every single one of them and I leaved there certain I made some connections! We interact with nature in such a raw form and I learned so much about being in the actual field that I would never achieve with my university, it opened so many more doors for me. The service of opwall was amazing, we never lacked anything, always had the basic needs. And of course we had amazing adventures that were not in the plans and I maybe shouldn't tell because safety and such things, but were always under control and were the crucial parts that made my trip so unforgettable! Thank you opwall for everything!

Awesome

Loved it, schedule problems and not enough kit sometimes weds a downside though. Beautiful views and diving, science staff are awesome and help push you in the right direction without telling you the directs answer

My Marine Dissertation in Hoga

Hoga was amazing! The science staff were friendly, welcoming and extremely helpful. However, the living conditions, food and organisation was poor and I expected more from such a renowned organisation