Operation Wallacea- Guyana
Operation Wallacea Operation Wallacea

Operation Wallacea- Guyana

Guyana review

It was an incredible experience and I met some amazing, life long friends. The staff were really friendly and I learned some important conservational skills that have helped me in my first year of uni.

Guyana

The most amazing place I have ever been to. Like going back in time to an untouched world. Being able to get involved with field work in such an amazing destination with such interesting people is such a great experience.

Opwall Guyana July 2017

An incredible experience that I would recommend to anyone! From the off I knew this trip would be special, and it didn't disappoint. I went on the two-week expedition along with around 20 others, all of us from different places, some even from other countries. It was really nice to meet new people- the staff and organisers were all really nice and great fun to be around- and especially to interact with the local people, as well as learning about a country that up until then I didn't know much about. The techniques I practised (mist netting, mammal surveys), are valuable skills that I intend to use in later life. And of course the animals there are just amazing! We saw monkeys, macaws, numerous bat species, and even a harpy eagle (as a bird lover this was a dream for me!). I think what best sums up how I about this trip is my friends making it a joke because I mention it so much!

Guyana four-week expedition

Guyana was incredible. I learnt more than I ever anticipated about rainforest ecology, conservation, survey techniques, field research, the culture in Guyana and how the Amerindians live off the forest. I discovered many passions and realised that the rainforest is somewhere I want to work and visit as soon as possible to continue field research. I realised that I want to go into bird ecology research which I had no idea about before. We got so much hands on experience with animals in a professional way which is difficult to come by. I also made some amazing friends while there and we are in touch all the time now. I was surrounded by like minded people and we all got so involved. I loved going hiking through the forest and even swamps (once we got totally submerged! One of my favourite days). The forest is a tough place to live, it's full of insects and you're always muddy and sweaty but it just means you're so surrounded by nature. You can even sleep out in the wilderness! Spending hours in a boat winding down the river and flooded forest to get to your next camp was incredible because you knew just how far from the real world you really were, totally remote and isolated and away from technology. Everyone becomes an expert at card games and everyone gets a little crazy by the end but it's the experience of a life time and so worth it! Thank you to all the staff who were so willing to show us everything they knew and get us involved, and Scott for keeping us all together and making us feel so at home! Best time ever with Opwall Guyana.

Amazing Experience!

My experience in Guyana was everything I could've hoped for and more! The sites were amazing, and fully immersed us in the wildlife of a pristine rainforest. The guides and scientists were all really nice and knowledgeable and the staff did a great job ensuring that our stay was as comfortable as could be expected in the middle of the jungle. The food was also outstanding! This was by far the best experience of my life and I hope to go back next year!

Unforgettable experience in Guyana

My Opwall expedition in Guyana was definitely one of my best experiences. I chose to go on this trip as it was advertised as one of the more demanding and isolated expeditions, and you have some of the best chances to see different animals. Effectively, not a day went by without me experiencing or seeing something completely new (and absolutely awesome).
I enjoyed every different survey and the animals we were able to see and handle were absolutely amazing; I was given the opportunity to experience things I would never have imagined, from holding a Caiman, to handling birds and bats, to learning how to recognise different animal tracks, to being woken up by Howler Monkeys in the morning... The guides were extremely nice and always made sure that we were safe. The Opwall staff were always kind, helpful and patient with us and I am quite sure that every student in this expedition learnt more than he/she expected. Effectively, a lot of us now dream of going back to the jungle to relive our experiences and to deepen and expand our pools of knowledge.
Sleeping in hammocks in middle of the forest can at first seem daunting, however, after sleeping in one for a month, I would happily swap my own bed for a hammock. The food was very good: in some camps we had pancakes (or something similar) for breakfast every day, along with peanut butter, honey or jam.
Health wise, there is constantly a medic on-site which is reassuring.
The biggest problems we had were probably insect bites and it being hard to dry off our clothes (as, being the rainforest, it is extremely humid). However, for most of us, this did not in any way hinder our enjoyment of the trip.

Not a day goes by without me thinking about my time in Guyana, and I believe that my trip has allowed me to realise that I would like to work in the field. I never had a bored moment and, if I got the opportunity, would go back without hesitation. I could never thank Operation Wallacea and its staff enough for giving this opportunity to people like me.

The adventure of a lifetime

Operation Wallacea does a wonderful job at connecting students with existing research initiatives around the globe. Guyana is such a unique experience, as the program takes place in one of the largest tracts of undisturbed rain-forest. The local guides, cooks, and OpWall staff made an already amazing experience unforgettable, I cannot wait for a chance to go back. Thank you all for the adventure of a lifetime.

An Excellent Experience!!

The overall experience was a definite 11/10. The skills taught to us by the scientists were definitely useful and the work we did felt meaningful. The life on site was fantastic too! Would definitely recommend!!!

Best experience ever!!!

Going on an operation Wallacea trip was hands down the best decision I've ever made. Guyana is about as remote as it gets so getting away from technology and immersing myself in the jungle life was incredibly rewarding!!! I was in awe of the local's knowledge and ability, the scientists were always happy to share their experience and offer advice, you are looked after by a team of staff from the second you book to well after you come home. If a rugged, cut off, immersive experience is what you're after, Guyana is the one for you!

Quite a Trip

This was a great experience with a lot of unexpected and amazing surprises. I have already sent in a form with my major review points the gist if which was that I felt like the research staff there were somewhat unprofessional and unprepared. It sounds like I got unlucky with who was there in those two weeks.

2 week Guyana 2017

I felt that volunteers were mostly obsolete. We did not have any real responsibilities. The non-local scientists were also unprepared, much like the leader. The guides were great though. The camps left much to be desired and were greatly unprepared. we had to leave the most interesting one early because the latrine got flooded. The days were much too long, often keeping us out of camp for more than 4 hours straight, including in the heat of midday.