Australian Wildlife Rescue, Care and Rehabilitation
Oceans 2 Earth Volunteers Header Image Oceans 2 Earth Volunteers Header Image

Australian Wildlife Rescue, Care and Rehabilitation

Kangaroo/wallaby/possum rescue reserve

An amazing experience from start to finish. What I went for was the animal interaction, what I got was that and the opportunity to meet some amazing warm wonderful people! The animal experience was 100% hands on. We even got to visit the Australian Zoo Surgery with some animals for follow up visits. Python spotting, kookaburras, king parrots, black n white cockatoos... the baby wallabies will steal your heart when they accept you into their mob and give kisses. :) ty for the opportunity.

Endangered species conservation project

Overall a fantastic experience, and I feel lucky to have been able to do this project. Loving warm people and very hands on with the animals, literally. I feel I have helped out and made a difference, and I have experienced and learned so much. Thank you!

"Saving flying foxes"- project

Volunteering at the flying foxes project provided by O2E really was an experience for a lifetime that I'll always remember. Especially if this is your first time volunteering abroad, I can definitely recommend to book your stay via O2E because they did a great job with the placement, provided me with a lot of information beforehand and answered to any of my questions anytime. At first I was quite nervous about making this big step and volunteer at the other end of the world (Europe-> Australia) but O2E was a great help!

This was my first experience to work directly with animals and as an animal lover since birth I really enjoyed being around a lot of animals for 6 weeks. The shelter predominantly cared for bats, but there were also quite a few wallabies jumping around the facility, a lot of different birds, the dog of the owner and we even found a stray cat that I later took care of in my cabin.
I already loved bats from seeing a lot of cute videos on the internet, but working with them just made me love them even more! They are really social, intelligent and friendly creatures and it was fun to interact with them on a daily basis. They were always interested in the carer entering their aviary and would even come closer to you by themselves to inspect you and play with you. If you love bats, this project is the just the right thing for you! But even if you haven't noticed the bat's charming points yet you should definitely try to work with them because I am sure that everyone who has worked with bats will love them!

Every day we would start cleaning the aviaries at 8:30 am, change the bat's water and give them their breakfast aka fruit juice. It doesn't sound like a lot, but considering the shelter cares for at least 200 bats it would take you until 11 or 12 am to finish with that. They had 5 big aviaries outside and quite a lot of trolleys with one or two bats in it in the house who needed special attention. Each and every bat had its own personality and thats why we would start to remember them and eventually give them names based on their characteristics.
Then, we had a quite generous lunch break until 2:30 pm to rest and at 2:30 pm we would start feeding all the bats with the fruit local volunteers had prepared in the meantime. It was fun to feed them because the bats were really excited about the food and sometimes they were all over you. After we finished feeding everyone we would collect the juice drippers everyone got in the morning, clean them and fill in the juice for the next morning.
But apart from the regular things we had to do everyday, we were allowed to help feeding the baby bats or baby wallabies sometimes. Especially when, 3 weeks before my departure, the owner brought in about 80 new baby bats in who needed a lot of attention. They needed to be fed 3-4 times a day, so when we were finished with our regular tasks we could always help out with the baby bats and sometimes we also helped with the night feed starting at 10 pm.
Where on the one hand I really enjoyed my work, it could get a little bit exhausting at some point because we had to carry around a lot of heavy stuff but I would say this finally helped me to grow some arm muscles.

This project really needs more volunteers as there are so many more things that could be done with more volunteers! Also, sometimes it could become chaos as there was a lot to do but not enough people so any help would be appreciated. The accommodations were really generous as well, but you had to clean them up yourself after arriving (which was a bit unexpected because you would expect the accommodations to not be chaos on the day you arrive) and there was no wifi, so I bought a 4G wifi stick in the closest shop but over the time it cost me quite some money because I am a frequent internet user.
So there were some small things that could be improved in this project, but all in all it was a really great experience! Thank you OE2, thank you to all the people from the shelter and all the friendly local volunteers and thank you to all the bats! I already miss my bats!

Australian forest wildlife

This was the most amazing and valuable experience of my entire life. You are fully immersed in the wildlife and see every day the difference you are making to both the inspiring and hardworking staff and the animals you take care of. An absolutely incredible and humbling experience, can't wait to go back again asap.

Great barrier reef turtle rehabilitation

Throughly enjoyed a week volunteering with the Sea Turtles. The program was run like a well-oiled machine, very impressed! I'd highly recommend it to anyone travelling on their own on a career break, gap year or as an extension to a backpacker trip.

I was welcomed on Monday by the founder of the Turtle Rehabilitation centre who introduced us 'newbies' to the 9 turtles and ran us through the daily tasks. There was no pressure to perform and we could go at our own pace. Daily tasks included power blasting algae from filter bags (so satisfying!), cleaning the turtle tanks with nets, preparing food (learnt how to de-bone a squid!) and feeding the turtles.

Each day was supervised by a different local Cairns volunteer who managed around 5-6 volunteers. Volunteers came to the program from all around the world, which was great to share the experience and make new friends.

Everyday we caught the 45 minute ferry to the island arriving at 9am and were finished by 12 noon, allowing us the afternoon to enjoy free activities on the island until 5pm. The island was beautiful – spent most afternoons snorkelling. As it was 'stinger season' we had to wear protect suits while snorkelling – we looked like blue smurfs! Highly recommend a rainforest walk to 'Nudey Beach' and a snorkel around the rocks. Keep an eye out for colourful parrot fish nibbling on the coral. Other activities included kayaking, stand up paddle boarding, glass bottom boat tours and summit hikes. They can also arrange for a discount on an outer reef tour and were accommodating with swapping volunteer days to experience this. The outer reef is a must do – much better visibility in the water as due to rain the snorkelling can be cloudy.

Prior to departure Oceans2Earth kept me updated with all the answers to my questions and helped book accommodation with 'Northern Greenhouse hostel'. This hostel was thankfully a 'non party hostel', in a good location and other volunteers stayed there so was easy to make friends. Only downside was that the wifi was bad so if you are looking for more reliable I'd recommend paying a little more for an AirB&B or buy more data to share all your photos with your friends & family.

Turtle adventures

This was my first experience working with animals and I loved every moment of it. The days flew by way to fast. Everyone was so friendly and full of knowledge. A great over all experience at a beautiful location.