Retreat Center for Veterans and First Responders - Colombia
Minga House Foundation Header Image Minga House Foundation Header Image

Retreat Center for Veterans and First Responders - Colombia

Highly recommend people to volunteer at the retreat center!

My partner and myself volunteered at the retreat center back in October 2017, we initially signed for 2 weeks, but ended up staying for nearly 5 weeks, and really found it difficult to leave.
Chinchina is a nice place to be, authentic, untouched by tourism so it's a great place to live...you can go to the market, socialize with locals on the square, at the soccer field, visit the home for elderly, go to the gym for 15 dollars per month, eat local food super cheap... and there is a lot of things to do around on your days off : coffee tour, go to Manizales, visit Salento and the Cocora valley...
The house that we helped renovating is amazing, truly a stunning place and the surroundings are gorgeous, coffee plantation all over you.
The work was good for us, Glen and Bart were very flexible, and we got to do things that we wanted to do and were interested in.
The best thing for us about this project was the PEOPLE: the dedicated staff , the motivated volunteers and the welcoming locals we got to meet made it a very special experience for us, one of the highlight of our trip!
I hope one day we can return there, in the meantime wishing you a lot of success.
Again a massive thanks to Glen and Bart for welcoming us, and to the gorgeous Daniella for taking care of us.
Big hugs from Arnold and myself to ye all, keep up the good work!

• Minga House Foundation responded to this review May 11, 2018 at 3:10 AM

Thank you, thank you for your kind words! You guys have a home here, anytime you want, amigos!

Go for it!!

I did spend more that a month at the retreat center and really it’s hard to leave.
If you looking for a peaceful place where you can play soccer, enjoy the swimming pool AND at the same place enjoy a nice walk on a coffee field or just enjoy the view of the village and mountains it’s possible there !!

The work for me was basically on the garden and I really did enjoy it
Glen never came see what I was doing : freedom and trust
I’ve been able to do the things on my way and he always been happy and thankful... what a pleasure

So if you want be a part of an awesome project AND as well enjoy being a part of this family, just go there, good vibes good people ... this is the type of place you hope you gonna be able to come back !
Thanks glen.

• Minga House Foundation responded to this review May 02, 2018 at 9:08 AM

You are a sweetheart, Marine. Thank you. You are welcome back, for life! You and Kane made a lasting impact in the development of the Retreat Center. We thank you.

First renovation steps

Quite simply, volunteering at the retreat centre was fabulous and unforgettable. Everybody involved in the project had exceptional positive energy and were a joy to be around. The house is astonishing, and being in the heart of Colombia' coffee region, is surrounded by beautiful scenery. A superb project, run by exceptional people which you should definitely get involved in.

• Minga House Foundation responded to this review April 24, 2018 at 11:20 AM

Thank you, Phil! Thank you very much!

• Itinerary

• Satisfaction

Awesome experience

The Retreat centre has been a great experience for me. Plenty of non stressful projects to keep me busy as well as a very relaxing atmosphere where I can sleep in till 10 am.
Variety of nationality s was interesting.
And a beautiful town and community within just a short walking distance.

• Minga House Foundation responded to this review April 24, 2018 at 11:20 AM

Thank you, Kane. You have left your imprint. The Spirit Tree, the Chicken Coop, and perhaps even the Yoga Viewpoint, all your launches! Thank you.

An amazing experience with some incredible people!

We spent a wonderful couple of weeks helping on this project in the very early stages. We learnt so much about restoration and construction, and the work was always fun and engaging. There were loads of different projects going on to get stuck in to in the most beautiful surroundings you can imagine. Glen and Bart were inspiring, and we admired them so much for what they were trying to achieve. They made sure that we felt welcome and gave us a true local experience in the beautiful town. We couldn't recommend them highly enough! Go! You will not regret it!

• Minga House Foundation responded to this review April 23, 2018 at 2:44 PM

Thank you, guys! It was fantastic to share the space and time with you two. We will keep working hard to make you proud, and hope you return some day!