Middlebury School in Spain: Córdoba
Middlebury - C.V. Starr Schools Abroad Header Image Middlebury - C.V. Starr Schools Abroad Header Image

Middlebury School in Spain: Córdoba

The Best Study Abroad Location!

I think that Córdoba is probably Middlebury College's most underrated study abroad program in Spain. Generally only a few students in the program decide to study in Córdoba, but I think that this program provides one of the most language immersive and culturally rich study abroad experiences. The Universidad de Córdoba offers a wide variety of classes, including some specifically about the city and its landmarks. These courses allowed me not only to fine tune my language schools but also to learn about the city I was living in. All of my classmates and roommates were warm and inclusive. Although Córdoba is a relatively small city there are lots of places to explore. I found some of my favorite bars, restaurants and cafes when I got lost wandering through the winding streets of the city. I would most definitely suggest Córdoba to anyone who wants to study abroad in a true Spanish city.

The best for language immersion, but not for the faint of heart

I came to Spain principally because I wanted to become fluent in Spanish. And, to a certain degree, I did achieve that goal (as in I can now understand most of what the Spanish-speakers in the US are saying on the street and can communicate with them at a reasonable pace though I'm obviously still somewhat slow). You can't help but become immersed in the language because Córdoba is not that big a city, and it's also gorgeous and full of fantastic art and history. I do wish the program administration had an active base within the city, because they were all located in Madrid so it kind of felt like we were on our own after orientation (though the directors did visit us from time to time to catch up). We also had to find our own housing once we got there (though with the aid of a native Cordovan contracted by Middlebury) and I ended up with an awful living situation because the landlord wasn't completely honest when I signed the lease. But it is a great real-world experience, and if you're passionate about art history (especially Islamic art and architecture), definitely worth considering.