Working with Kids—Volunteer in Guatemala!
MAXIMO NIVEL participants MAXIMO NIVEL participants

Working with Kids—Volunteer in Guatemala!

Casa Aleluya children's home

Maximo Nivel made my volunteer experience at Casa Aleluya seamless. The children of this fantastic home are amazing and their smiles will stay with you forever. I was so fortunate to be placed here and meet some of the 'room moms' that were graduates of the home and are now helping build better futures for the next generation of placements. So much love and hard work goes into this facility and I am so glad that I was able to be a part of it, if only for a week!

Working with children at a daycare

I had the opportunity to spend a month in Guatemala working with children at a daycare and had a life-changing experience. The Máximo Nivel staff was incredibly accommodating and gracious to all of the people that were in Antigua volunteering and did an excellent job of making sure everything was running smoothly. At my placement, I immediately fell in love with all of the children at the daycare and after spending a month with them saying goodbye was next to impossible. As these are at-risk, underprivileged children, the staff at my daycare was so appreciative of all that we helped with and made us feel as if we were a part of their family. I learned so much at my placement; not only in terms of my Spanish speaking abilities but also and more importantly, what it means to give back to a community that needs all of the help it can get. Volunteering with Máximo Nivel was such a rewarding experience that I cannot recommend highly enough. My next trip to Antigua can't come soon enough!

Volunteering at Casa Aleluya

Volunteering at this site was a great experience with my family. My two teens and I caught the "chicken bus" everyday from Antigua to the orphanage. After just one day, we were fond of the kids and looking forward to playing with and loving them. The staff at the site was very helpful and respectful. We folded into the larger family at Casa Aleluya seamlessly. I hope we made a difference in the lives and hearts of these precious children, but I know that being with them made a difference in ours. Thank you, Maximo Nivel, for a life-changing experience!

2 weeks at an Orphanage

My daughter & I spent 2 weeks volunteering our time and energy, 5 days/week, about 4 hours per day for an amazing orphanage called Casa Aleluya, near Antigua, Guatemala. Casa Aleluya is an AMAZING organization, housing around 430 kids of all ages. Over the years they've taken in about 5300 kids who were in very unsafe or abusive situations and now have a safe place in which to grow up. They are provided with love, care and respect. They are taught, rather SHOWN how important love and respect are to the health and well-being of both individuals and organizations of which they are a part. Many of the kids go on to attend college or university programs, all supported by Casa. Maximo Nivel was a crucial part of this experience too. The folks here truly care and execute their role with professionalism and alacrity. Kudos to Phomolo, Nancy, Maritza, Colin and the entire crew at Maximo!

Casa Aleluya orphanage

My family and I volunteered at an orphanage called Casa Aleluya; we had a great time working with the children, and experienced what an amazing place Casa Aleluya is for the orphans. We worked with the younger children, from babies to 7 years old. The children enjoyed our company, and we enjoyed spending time with them.

Sweet kiddos!!

Casa Aleluya is a wonderful, safe haven for kids in need of a family. We enjoyed our time there. It has a positive, loving atmosphere. It was clean and had a friendly atmosphere. Anyone would enjoy their time there with these sweet kids. Great job!!

Family volunteering at Casa Aleluya

Our family (parents + kids ages 14, 12, and 3) volunteered through Maximo Nivel at an orphanage named Casa Aleluya. We worked with kids ages 0-4 years old, and had an incredible experience. We immediately fell in love with the kids at Casa Aleluya, and all five of us felt extremely grateful for being able to be there and give some love and care to these amazing kids. It was also a very strong and empowering experience for our own kids, who grew and matured so much in only a week. Other than volunteering, we spent our afternoons in beautiful Antigua, and went on a couple of afternoon trips organized through Maximo Nivel. Highly recommended!

Teaching English

I volunteered with Maximo Nivel for 4 weeks teaching English to children in Antigua, Guatemala. I absolutely loved every moment of it! It was the best experience of my life and I highly recommend it to anyone!! The staff were always so helpful, happy and very organized. The home stay was very clean and the food was delicious. I learnt so much about Guatemalan culture and the beautiful people that live there. I can't wait to go back and do it again :)

Home sweet home

I fell in love with the kids and staff at my project and with Guatemala and I couldn't have done it without Maximo! They provided me with all the resources and support I needed to be able to work my kids and to thrive in Antigua. I woke up each morning excited to get to work!

my guate experience!!!

Still sad i had to leave all the sweet kids, and people behind. la Antiqua is beautiful little town. very romantic and fun. guate people are amazing and helpful. volunteering experience was eye opening, and great on every level. impossible to not fall in love with these kids!!!!! Maximo Nivel stuff organized in every way. it was smooth ride from landing till leaving....Spanish teacher was fun and patient... staying with the family made me feel like a local, and not just a tourist. overall, better experience than expected. would suggest anyone in heart beat. will be back...!!!!!!

Amazing experience

Everything, from the staff at Maximo, to my homestay, to my placement has been amazing. I felt safe in Antigua -- I'm 15 years old -- and everyone was very nice and welcoming. I couldn't have asked for a better experience. The children I worked with were very sweet, and the girls loved to braid my hair! Our placement was at an afterschool program that helps with homework and also teaches music and dance. I was able to teach some basic English to the younger children, grade math homework, and just love on the kids. I can't wait to revisit Guatemala in the future!

An Incredible Experience

My sister and I volunteered for a week at Ninos de Benedicion in San Antonio de Aguascalientes, Guatemala through Maximo Nivel. The individuals that assisted us at Maximo were amazing, the main office in Antigua, Guatemala was extremely welcoming, hospitable, and useful! The staff encouraged all of the volunteers to inspire, socialize, and share any questions/inquires they had regarding their program or their trip in general, I truly felt safe with them. Each time I walked into the Maximo office I was readily welcomed by warm faces and big smiles, I definitely miss them! Ninos de Benedicion was a sort of after-school program for local children to spend time interacting with other children, receive a meal, receive help with homework, and learn english. The program itself was very laid back as it was ran out of an incredible family's home and received little financial support. The week we spent volunteering went by all too fast and we are both very eager to return to our friends at Ninos de Benedicion to help them and watch them blossom into beautiful young individuals.

Mi Escuelita - San Pedro

I spent three weeks volunteering at an after-school program in a small pueblo just outside Antigua. I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge and always looked forward to seeing the kids every day! I stayed at a homestay for the three weeks which was a lot of fun. The Guatemalan family was very welcoming and the food was very authentic. I also became great friends with the other volunteers who were living there. Great experience all round!

Childcare and studying in Antigua

My two weeks spent in beautiful Antigua as a childcare volunteer and student of Spanish through Maximo Nivel exceeded my expectations across various spectrums. Nightly dinners with my host family, commuting and working with locals during the week, and weekend excursions to Lake Atitlan and the Pacific coast all amassed to a well rounded cultural immersion that was truly unique and genuine.

Working with children at Guarderia San Lucas, a daycare located 20 minutes from Antigua, was both rewarding for me and much appreciated by the community. The last day of work I left with a heavy heart and a smile, knowing I would miss the ninos and ninas I met over the two weeks, while feeling so grateful for the experience and the impact it will have on my worldview.

Spanish class was intimate and tailored to my needs as a student. My teacher combined structured exercises with more informal opportunities to practice conversing, which was an effective learning method for me. In addition to class, I was glad I took advantage of the free tandem language exchange, which allowed me to practice my Spanish and make a friend along the way. I leave two weeks of intensive classes and tandem exchange feeling more confident about my ability to speak the language, and motivated to continue learning.

From day one when I contacted the International office at Maximo to learn more about their programs, to the last day when I said goodbye to the local staff in Antigua and thanked them for all their help, I couldn't have been more impressed with their professionalism and friendly demeanor. They anticipated all travel and accommodation needs, and went beyond expectations by providing recommendations for leisure activities and being genuinely interested in each of their clients. The staff was extremely welcoming, and made it clear that they were available at any time should you need something, which was especially reassuring as a solo traveler.

Antigua is a beautiful place, nestled between volcanoes and enriched in culture and history. It's conducive to learning Spanish, and a great launch point for weekend excursions should you choose to leave town. I'm glad I made the decision three months ago to book this experience, and I look forward to future experiences helping hardworking Guatemalans and learning with this organization Antigua.

An adventure of a lifetime!

I volunteered at an orphanage called Casa Aleluya! It was so amazing, and such an eye opening experience for me! I instantly fell in love with the kids, and dreaded the day I had to say goodbye. The amazing staff at Maximo Nivel helped me with so much! They were always there and could help answer all of my questions! I loved my time in Guatemala, and would go back in a heart beat!

Guatemala Childcare

Maximo staff are very efficient and welcoming, whenever I had a problem they responded immediately and in a way that I was satisfied. I will also be forever grateful that they allowed me to make an overseas phone call without additional charge a many times as I liked. Maximo Nivel look after you in your placement as my program coordinator visited me multiple times at my program to ensure everything was smooth sailing. Aside from the administration, the social opportunities that Maximo provide are brillant such as guacamole night and Salsa dancing. I loved my time in Guatemala and felt safe at most times thanks to Maximo

Childcare Guatemala

I had the opportunity to volunteer in a preschool in a village just outside of Antigua, and going into it, I had absolutely no idea what to expect. Even throughout my time there, I was never entirely sure of what I was supposed to be doing...but that in no way prevented me from enjoying every minute of my experience there! The children just warm your heart in a way that only kids and babies can, and the staff of the preschool was incredible. They love those kids so much...so by being outgoing, playing with the kids, and trying to help in any way I could, I had a wonderful experience and would definitely recommend it. Also, its it is only for half a day, therefore the remainder of your time you are able to enjoy the beautiful country of Guatemala! Whether you travel to other parts of the country, or just explore the historical town of Antigua, there is never a dull moment :)

Casa Aleluya

We volunteered at Casa Aleluya playing with the kids for a week. The kids are well cared for and loved, but being a retired teacher, I feel that the children need more of a routine as well as intellectual stimulus. Maximo Nivel did their part very well in organizing everything and checking on us. It was a unique experience--I will never forget those little faces!