Teaching English—Volunteer in Peru!
MAXIMO NIVEL participants MAXIMO NIVEL participants

Teaching English—Volunteer in Peru!

Teaching English in Cusco

This was my first experience and I can only rave about what a wonderful experience it was. The support and encouragement offered by Maximo Nivel staff certainly enhanced my experience, they were always available and so appreciated. Being a part of the community at qosqo maki was heart warming and the people I worked with were so incredible and so bright and oh so willing and motivated, i gained so much from this experience and it is one I will not soon forget. This is the way to travel, and having the opportunity to become immersed in the community has made this such a valuable experience.

Teaching English in Cusco

I taught an adult class at Qosqo Maki and it was a fabulous. Lots of support from Maximo Nivel and had a wonderful time. we missed some of the social activities that took place in the evenings as our classes were in the evening but Maximo Nivel let us come back the week after and we had so much fun, took a cooking class, silversmithing demonstration etc. We met some wonderful people and even though most of the other volunteers were decades younger than we were, I just enjoyed it so much.

Some stories will never end

"Yijia, shall we play Chaba on Christmas Day?"
"Oh I won't be there at that time ..."
"Porque!!!!!"
Frankly speaking, I burst to tears at that moment.

I went to Peru for the English teaching programme around Cusco for one month. It was my first time travelling to Latin America, but I felt a strong sense of belonging very soon. The children I worked with were really impressed. They were kind, passionate and strong in their hard lives. It was really hard to express how much I loved them, how much I wanted to make a difference for them, and how much I was eager to stay there for long-term help and never leave.

Before going there, my dream was to be a secondary math teacher in New Zealand. Now I am still keen on mathematics and education, for their great power to make the world a little better. I have realised that coming back to uni and the normal life is not only a sad farewell to those cute children, but also an opportunity to improve myself. I am longing to have more multicultural horizons, be more professional in my major studies, and set foot on a higher level of the life. Only when I make my experience enriched enough in all aspects can I give the children, who are forgotten at the edge of the world, more material assistance.

This year I am 20 years old. I have some new life goals. Thanks for the valuable experience, as well as Maximo Nivel, I met a group of great dreamers at the international office there. ❤

Three great weeks at Inti

I spent three weeks teaching English to kids at Inti Runaqunak Wasin in Cusco and it was such an amazing adventure! Those kids are just awesome. I had so much fun with them as they were always smiling and full of energy. They were divided into two groups and we had classes four days a week, Mon – Thur. Friday was a sports day and we would usually play football or fly kites. I think the best part of this whole experience was to watch how the kids are willing to learn, help each other and fulfill their duties. They were always incredibly polite and you could really see that they were very grateful and generous, as they would share everything they had with you.

Inti would not work so well without its staff. They are wonderfully warm and welcoming people with hearts of gold and they run the place with great passion and dedication.

Also, a big thanks to all the Maximo staff, especially Daja, my project coordinator, who was always very supportive and encouraging.

Teaching ADULTS at Qosko Maki

I've had another experience teaching English (unofficially) overseas, but I must say, Maximo Nivel was head and shoulders above the other organization. I was very impressed with the individual attention, starting with emails while I was still at home. Once in country, the orientations and introductions to the individual assignments were incredible. This can be a very "flexible" experience, as we are volunteers, plans change, life "happens." The thing that stood out to me was the sincere goodwill of the staff, their on-going attempts to provide us with answers, reinforcement and support.
I was also especially happy to be working with adults-- my previous experience was with a summer school program for 6th and 7th graders. What a delight to teach people of all ages who were anxious to learn English, to improve their English! And what warm-hearted people I found in Cusco! Thanks Maximo Nivel!

Peru- English Teaching Project Cusco

Learning any language requires a good reason for doing so,and in Cusco one of the reasons is that 2,000 vistors a day visit Machu Picchu - a fair percentage of them speaking english - and a vasr majorit transit through Cusco.
Helping the girls study English,one can only hope that they can eventually tap into these numbers to get them employment and a secure future.
Let alone English being a massively useful language in itself for the internet and business and travel.
Our classes - of which we had 3,1 hr classes one after another,were teaching workers at the old people's home and teenage girls - about 16 in all - and we gave them opportunities to speak and use as much english as they could.Considering it was at the end of the day,I felt they were dedicated students - they were polite,happy and gave us warm smiles and good feedback.
Overall, the experiemce was great fun and I hope that in the short time I contributed,that they gained something.Thanks to Maximo Nivel for organising this,
Peter Cole
Gold Coast
Australia

Wonderful Experience at La Recoleta

Teaching at La Recoleta was by far the highlight of my year. Teaching the girls there is not only about teaching English, but also helping them grow as children and women. I found it educational and wonderful to be able to put myself in an educational position in a classroom halfway across the world, because most of the time, I felt like I was learning just as much as the girls were! Through games, exercises and some hilarious language barriers, I had an amazing time with these girls and the people that worked there. Even though I was only placed for a week, the memories coming from that classroom will truly last me a lifetime.

Eco Escuela - Simatauca

I had the pleasure of teaching at a rural school in a small, mountain town called, Simatauca. Although it was my job to do the teaching, I learned more about their culture, their language and most surprisingly, myself, then I ever thought was possible. My heart stayed with the teachers I worked with, and the loving, kind and downright, great kids in Cusco. I miss them dearly, and can't thank Maximo enough for aiding in my travelling experience. The people who work there are AMAZING! I highly recommend this organization for those who wish to better their travelling experience!

Teaching English to girls at Recoleta in Cusco, Peru

My only regret about teaching English with Maximo Nivel's program at the Iglesea Recoleta is that I couldn't stay longer. I loved teaching the girls there. I loved their spirit and enthusiasm in spite of the fact that the program ran from 5:00 to 8:00 PM and was voluntary for the students.
The church where I taught fekt warm and welcoming. I was strongly supported by the staff at Maximo Nivel which was really important to me since this was first shot at teaching.
Overall, I'm impressed enough with MAximo Nivel to look into volunteering through them in Guatemala next year. To anyone who is intimidated by the idea of teaching English I would say, "Go for it!". It's challenging but you can make it great fun.

My time living in Cusco

A few months back i began my new life of living in Cusco.

I had just been travelling in the South of South America and was keen to settle down for a few months. Before I jumped on a plane to South America, I looked into many volunteer organisations and programs that I could help in Peru. The one I ended up choosing was Maximo Nivels program, through IVHQ. I chose this company as they have an outstanding percentage of donation rate from the volunteer to the program (some money needs to be payed to staff so they can live).

So...I started off with four weeks in Construction (had an awesome time), then spent one week in an all boys orphanage teaching English (incredible!) and finally moved on to one and a half months teaching English at Qosqo Maki English School.

Qosqo Maki is a small school run by a handful of volunteers and one local group leader (Named "Angel") situated on a hill next to the main market (Mercado de San Pedro). I spent around 6-7 weeks here teaching mainly Intermediate English to adults as well as some basic and advanced. These adults come to learn English every day after 9 hours at work. Their commitment is outstanding and their will to learn is just motivating.

My time spent at Qosqo Maki and with Maximo Nivel was and will continue to be one of the most unbelievable experiences of my life. I recommend this for anyone looking to get out in the world and give a helping hand!

Riley Dwyer, 19, Aus

Ecoescuela Simatauca in Cusco, Peru

I volunteered with Maximo Nivel in Cusco, Peru and was placed at a small farm school called Ecoescuela Simautauca. It was an incredible experiencing helping teach the children to read, write, and speak English. The Maximo Nivel staff was very responsive and supportive the entire time. I recommend Maximo in Cusco to anyone interested in teaching English abroad!

Teaching English in Peru

What an amazing experience. When I first applied, I had no idea where I would be placed to teach English. The organization takes a look at your profile and decides where you would fit best. My placement was to teach English to men in a drug and alcohol rehab facility. At first it sounded intimidating, but as soon as I went there and met all of the students, I knew it would be an amazing experience. Many of the people in the facility come to Cusco from nearby areas in hopes of attaining a better lifestyle. Unfortunately they did not have the skill sets to find any work in the city, and so they resorted to either drugs or alcoholism. You could see that many of the men there were very eager to learn English, and I felt that my time teaching English there was not wasted. I know a few weeks of teaching cannot surmount to much, but I could see the effects of the accumulation of all the volunteers who taught English there before me and it was astounding. There were 3 different groups of classes. The intermediate understood a lot of English and were simply working to fix their grammar and pronunciation. I could even have fluent conversations with the advanced group! I had a great time in Peru with Maximo Nivel, I definitely recommend it!

Teaching English at Recoleta

My experience teaching English to a group of young girls in Cusco, Peru was above and beyond my expectations! Maximo Nivel seemed to have read my mind when I imagined my volunteer experience. My placement was at an elderly home and I taught English to the young girls who worked there, and these girls were amazing. They quickly became some of my best friends, and I felt fulfilled every single day I volunteered. The staff at Maximo Nivel allowed me breathing room to create my own classroom experience, lesson plans, and rules. I truly felt like I had my own program within a program. I would highly, highly recommend this program to anyone considering teaching English in South America.

My gap year in Cusco

I spent three months in Cusco during my gap year volunteering at an after school program for children in a poor neighborhood. The establishment provided students ages 4-15 with help from teachers and access to computers with wifi. I went not knowing what to expect in terms of teaching English classes. It was hard to organize formal classes because children's main priority was finishing homework. This meant the classes had to be entertaining to capture their attention or sometimes they simply did not have time to devote to learning English. However I would help out in whatever capacity I could - lending a hand with English homework, reading with them, helping the staff with things that needed to be done around the building. All this to say that although I wasn't doing exactly what I had pictured I was still able to form connections with the children and to work with them in a meaningful way - something that was most valuable to me. I would definitely advise keeping an open mind, striving to be flexible and being active in offering to help in whatever capacity you can. If you are able to do that you will no doubt walk away with a meaningful experience to carry with you for the rest of your life.

Teaching English at La Recoleta

I volunteered through Maximo Nivel and had a wonderful experience! I spent two weeks teaching young girls English. It was an extremely rewarding experience because I was able to see the girls progress over the two weeks I was there. Maximo Nivel was a great organization to go through. My housing was spacious with two meals a day provided! The food that was prepared for me was delicious and gave me a chance to taste the local cuisine. The staff at Maximo Nivel was also extremely friendly and willing to help. They checked up with me multiple times to make sure that my placement was going well and that I was enjoying it. It was sad when it came time to leave and I wish I could go back already. It was such a rewarding and amazing experience thanks to Maximo Nivel! I would CERTAINLY recommend!

Teaching English in Cusco, Peru!

Volunteering with Maximo Nivel was a truly unforgettable experience! I was taken care of right off of the plane until it was time to get back on the plane. The staff was all very friendly and willing to help. I could tell that they truly wanted to this experience to me memorable for me. They were so accommodating to my preferences of placement and living situation. The volunteer house I stayed in was VERY nice and we even had wifi. We had breakfast and dinner served each day and they were always very delicious. The house was kept very clean and I always felt safe there. My placement was at an all girls school in Cusco. I absolutely loved my placement and I felt like I was making a difference each day I came. I felt needed and that I was important. The staff at Maximo Nivel constantly assisted with my placement if I needed any help which was great to have. Overall, I would highly recommend volunteering with Maximo Nivel…you will have an amazing time!