Teaching and Assisting in Schools in Koh Samui, Thailand
Love Volunteers participant with two local kids Love Volunteers participant with two local kids

Teaching and Assisting in Schools in Koh Samui, Thailand

Amazing experience in Koh Samui

When I signed up to teach English in Koh Samui for 8 weeks I really didn't know what to expect. The Thailand guidebook was informative and Kelly from Love Volunteers was very helpful but I was still a little nervous because I couldn't imagine what my experience would be like. But upon my arrival I was immediately put to ease. The NGO was absolutely amazing and I had the best 8 weeks in Samui. I know what ultimately swayed my decision in choosing this specific project in Thailand was the fact it was the only one I found a really detailed review on so if that sounds like you keep reading for the inside scoop:
Don't expect luxury accommodations but the volunteer house was sufficient for all my needs. It's located a little far from the 'action' in Samui but I loved the sense of simplicity and community living in a smaller 'town'. The beach is a 15 minute walk, but no need to worry because you have access to a pool, perfect for those lazy days and before school swims. There's a 7-11, restaurants, my street meat guy, and massage parlors a short 10 minutes walk away. The school I worked in was just a few minutes walk from the volunteer house, which was convenient and super fun considering we often saw our students while walking around the area. (Hint: On the way to school there is a water refill station, safe to drink and only 1 baht a litter opposed to 14 baht a bottle). Teaching was an incredible experience. I had no prior teaching experience, but everything's is done in a simple formula, making it easy for students to learn and making it easy for volunteers to learn how to teach. At the school: the Thai teachers are friendly, the students are amazing, and the environment is one that leaves you deeply refreshed everyday. The provided lunches were always delicious. A variety of local dishes, usually served alongside rice gave you tons of options and the occasional traditional Thai dessert always made my day. As for the island: there is one main road all the way around Koh Samui and pretty much everything is off of Ring Road. Your public transportation options are taxi or songthaew (a converted pick up truck that acts as a communal taxi) though my preferred way of travel was by scooter, it's dangerous so be careful but it's the cheapest, most flexible and fun option. Night markets are my favorite past time and luckily there is one going on almost every night on the island (the Maenam , Thursday, night market is the best in my biased opinion). Tons to do on and near the island for people with all interests. The project, accommodations, island, etc would be a great experience on their own, but what really set my experience over the top was the staff. All of the staff were amazing people whose passion for the company, their job and their country really stood out. From weekly volunteer outings in the back of the Bamboo truck to always offering to drop us off anywhere along the way when they were headed somewhere, to encouraging and supporting us on the project, the Koh Samui team always went out of their way to help us out and make sure we were having an amazing time. They were always just a facebook message away whenever we had a question and some of my favorite memories from the project were simply talking and hanging out with them. They've become like a second family to me and I'll be forever grateful for the 2 short months I got to spend with them. Come with an open mind, ready to meet amazing people, and embrace a beautiful culture and way of life so different than you know and you'll have a lovely time! (If you've somehow made it to the end of this you must be like me and want all the information you can get, I also wrote an article specifically about my experience at the school so if you're interested you can read it)

• Love Volunteers responded to this review March 20, 2017 at 2:29 PM

Wow! What an incredibly interesting, inspiring and informative review of our Teaching program in Koh Samui!

There really isn't anything else to say except THANKS! Both for leaving this fantastic review to help future volunteers and for being an amazing Love Volunteer.

It's been great working with you on this placement and we hope to be able to help again in the future. In the meantime all the very best with everything!

The Team @ Love Volunteers