Custom Internships - Sacred Valley of the Incas, PERU!
Linguistic Horizons Header Image Linguistic Horizons Header Image

Custom Internships - Sacred Valley of the Incas, PERU!

A life changing experience!

To begin, the founder and director of the program, Nicole Berry is absolutely excellent! She is always available to contact through email or phone about any questions or concerns you might have, as well as providing a pre- departure orientation so that you are able to speak to others attending the program, and to prepare you for what can be expected as far as what to bring, what you can expect, as well what is expected of you.
As for the program, my focus is in education so I was placed with an organization called Semillas de Jesus. This organization served as a dormitory for indigenous children who were living outside of the main town of Urubama but studied there during the week. The kids would arrive on Monday mornings, live in the dormitories during the week to attend school, then return to their respective outlying towns on Fridays. This was an amazing placement and experience for me because not only did I get to interact with the kids in both Spanish and English, I was able to do community visits with the organizers of the organization to visit the homes and families of the children I was teaching. I was able to create close relationships with the children and it was extremely difficult to leave. It was not only an educational experience but an opportunity for personal growth as well. It was an amazing experience and I am very thankful that I was chosen to participate.

True cultural immersion

I'd like to start this off by saying I have had a lot of friends travel to Perú on their own and that is what sparked my interest initially. Most of them stayed in larger cities such as Cuzco and Lima in hostels or hotels and it was simply not the full experience. If you come visit on your own it is almost as if you are getting the "diet" version of this country. There difference between our experiences is just huge! I can honestly say that my experience was very genuine and authentic as it possibly could be for someone that speaks intermediate Spanish. Nicole and her counterpart, Max, know the quiet town very well and Max runs his travel business locally. They know where all of the best markets are, safest places to eat, and truly allow you to get to know your way around. If there is something you are interested in that is not on the itinerary for your trip, Nicole will go above and beyond to squeeze it in. My favorite part of this internship was not only the people that I met through Nicole and Max's contacts, but the flexibility that they offered me. They will tailor the experience to your interest and benefit, and that made the trip valuable to me. I came to Urubamba to learn more about natural medicine and I do not have a background in Bio or Nutrition. It sparked a new passion for me in leading a more natural life and appreciating the Earth. Nothing short of life changing. There are many travel and internship companies for students like us to choose from but Linguistic Horizons blows all others out of the water, including the programs offered through my school. If you're a student on a budget I would highly recommend this program and I would do it over again myself in a heartbeat. Thank you Linguistic Horizons!

• Linguistic Horizons responded to this review April 07, 2017 at 1:32 PM

Thank you for sharing your feedback, Karina! I'm so happy to read your kind words :) Please come visit us again soon!

Linguistic Horizons really changed my life

Providing hands on healthcare in Peru was the most amazing experience I have ever had. This gave me the opportunity to explore the heath care field and be of service to the community. A valuable lesson I gained from working in Peru was to learn how the community came together to work in health care. The dynamics, the language, the culture all contributed to the diversity of the community and allowed me to gain perspective in my life. I really enjoyed working with the physician and nurses. Engaging in conversations with patients, who were all so excited that I had ventured over from the USA. I was certainly able to improve my Spanish speaking skills, learn new skills, and work with people from different communities. I was able to learn about and get close to the people and community I was working in. Leaving the clinic was really difficult, as I'd grown so close with the physician and family. Now I feel I have an extension of my family in Urubamba, Peru.

• Linguistic Horizons responded to this review April 01, 2017 at 3:24 PM

Thank you for the feedback, Shalaya! Everyone at the clinic, Max and I miss you! Come visit again soon :)

Winter intern in Peru

I was interning with a travel agency in Peru. My work experience was helpful and impactful to me. My boss taught so The experience was amazing and fruitful. I have learned so much about Peruvian culture and the language.

My experience as a nursing student working in Peru

The experience was one of a kind. With my background being in modern medicine I was negligent in realizing the effectiveness and possibilities of Alternative medicines. After just a few short weeks in Peru I begun to realize how valuable the use of plant-based medicine really was and how much one can do with the native plants of the Andean mountains. The opportunity to learn about this way of treating and curing people can really change the way you will begin to think about your own health. That is what has stayed with me long after I returned home. I truly enjoyed the lifestyle I had been able to be a part of and the welcoming people of Urubamba and all its' culture has to offer.
Bonus: My most favorite part about where I had stayed particularly was the mountain almost literally in our backyard. Whether you're looking at it from the town or you just spent the early morning hiking to the top, it is truly a gorgeuos site.)

Viva Peru!

The best experience of my life, by far. You get to fully immerse yourself into such a rich and interesting culture, and expand your knowledge in your field! They really make sure that you are comfortable and safe, and that you don't leave without seeing everything that there is to see. I had the time of my life in Peru, and I know it wouldn't have been that way had I not gone through linguistic horizons!

• Linguistic Horizons responded to this review October 21, 2016 at 12:59 PM

Gracias, Sarah! We look forward to having you in Spain next summer!

I want to go back!

Spending a month in Urubamba was such a treasure, but the time flew! After traveling there with Linguistic Horizons I could see myself returning to visit the Sacred Valley again. The program prepared me to travel on my own and I felt super safe the entire time!

Ready for adventure?

My experience interning in Urubamba was unique! I was able to explore fantastic places like Puno. In this island, we got the chance to spend the night with a local family. They were very kind and cooked for us some of their most representative plates with products that they had previously harvested!!! afterwards, we were able to wear their typical outfits, the dresses were so so beautiful and I even felt like I blended into their culture. I was able to "go out for drinks" and dance Andean music with the locals and other tourists while wearing my beautiful regional Peruvian dress. This experience allowed me to truly immerse myself and have some of the best memories ever. This is something not just to read about, but to experience by yourselves!!

Intern in the Sacred Valley with Linguistic Horizons

Explore Latin America's archaeological capital while interning with the Llama Pack Project. Not only did I see some of the most amazing sights of my life, I also learned about the lives of the people in the High Andes as well as the environmental and social importance of llamas. Peru is a must visit country and it is even better through Linguistic Horizons!

Abroad in Urubamba

Nicole Berry is an amazing leader of this program. She cares very deeply about the safety and welfare of all the participants. All the hikes to ruins and surrounding areas were experiences to cherish for a lifetime.

There was pressure from Nicole and her local coordinator, Max, to practice speaking Spanish. However, towards the last few weeks, we spoke little to no Spanish at the house.

• Linguistic Horizons responded to this review August 20, 2017 at 2:00 PM

Thank you for your comment, James! We loved having you here.
    As for the lack of Spanish in the last couple of weeks at home, this was mainly because we were running our Nutrition

The valley, the mushrooms, the people

I think it is really hard to have accurate expectations when signing up for any abroad experience, but my 4 weeks in Peru were unforgettable. You truly can't go wrong in such a beautiful, humble place. My coworkers at the mushroom farm were both welcoming and forgiving of my elementary Spanish, and the family that my boyfriend and I lived with provided a wonderful home. I love the Sacred Valley, everything from gorgeous hikes, to Wednesday night salsa classes. I really hope to return sometime soon and visit the many friends we now have there!

• Linguistic Horizons responded to this review October 21, 2016 at 12:58 PM

Thanks for sharing, Emily! We miss you already! Come back and visit your Peruvian familia pronto :)

Internship in Peru

Overall, amazing. The amount of time I spent there (6 weeks) was perfect, and allowed me to feel like Urubamba was my home. Quite a humbling experience living in a third world country, and I definitely returned to the States with a newfound appreciation for what I have. Met many amazing people from all over the world. My internship in the hospital was not what I had expected, as I was hoping to get trauma experience. The "hospital" more closely resembled a health clinic, and we as interns were not well-received by staff. On a brighter note, my time spent in the Andean Medicine Clinic was amazing and enlightening. Holistic treatment is not favored in the Western world, and it was quite an eye-opening experience to see, first-hand, that natural, holistic remedies work.

• Linguistic Horizons responded to this review October 21, 2016 at 12:57 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience with us! Unfortunately, the hospital wasn't as we had hoped. We will be working on warming up the staff there for future interns thanks to your feedback. :)
    I hope between the good outweighed the bad during your time and that the Andean clinic and other trips and cultural activities made up for the less than friendly staff at the hospital!