LEO Africa Wildlife Monitoring
LEO Africa Header Image LEO Africa Header Image

LEO Africa Wildlife Monitoring

LEO Africa volunteer experience

LEO Africa is situated in the Marataba section of the Marakele National Park which is a beautiful reserve with a river running through it & surrounded by majestic mountains.
Each day on the drives we were able to see a huge variety of animals. It was not unusual to come across the Big 5 all in 1 day.
It was an exciting experience & as volunteers we supported LEO re-establishing their base in a new environment. Every day was different. Some of the activities included observing & identifying animals, learning about their habitat & habits; we had the opportunity to walk in the bush, sleep out under the stars, observe at waterholes, assist in clearing tracks, setting camera traps, track animals & participate in the darting by helicopter to check roan antelope in the reserve next to LEO Base.
The Managers, Koos & Sabrina are incredibly knowledgeable & experienced & I have learnt so much by listening to them & watching them. They KNOW the bush. This is my third time at LEO & I will definitely return.

• LEO Africa responded to this review October 21, 2016 at 4:04 AM

Dear Lesley,

Thank you for leaving a review and for describing our work so well and with enthusiasm!
    Our best satisfaction and achievement, together with working hard for conservation and see the results, is to have happy volunteers who go home with a better knowledge and understanding of the African bush and the meaning of conservation!
    It hs been an absolute pleasure to have you with us for the third time and we can't wait to see you again as soon as possible! Your energy and enthusiasm are contagious and amazing!
    All the best!

The LEO Team

Four weeks at LEO

Hello, I am Chloé, I am 19 and I am from France. I am sorry, my english is not very good, I hope you will understand me.
I went to South Africa during four weeks, in June. I was looking for something about wildlife and conservation. Then, a student of my school talked with me about LEO Africa, a Volunteer Research Programme in the Marataba Section of the Marakele National Park. I immediately loved this idea.
So, I went to LEO on the 28th of June. I discover a wonderful place with really nice people (volunteers, staff and member of the Marakele National Park). It was difficult at first, but the manager speaks a little bit french so she explains to me everything I didn't understand. She was nice and understanding.
My trip start with an absolutely incredible experience ! We had to help the veterinary and management of the Marataba Reserve to build the boma and also to capture some herbivores to move them to another reserve. It was really tiring, but so exciting. It was worth it. I saw some animals like impalas, zebras, kudus, and wildebeests run next to me.
At LEO, we also went on game drive to see some animals, especially the member of the BIG FIVE (lions, leopards, cheetah, rhinos black and white, hyenas, elephants and buffalos). We had to collect some data and take a lot of pictures for ID Kits. Then it is used by the national park to evaluate the impact of re-introduced animals and to maintain balanced, stable and sustainable ecosystems. During the game drives, I saw a lot of beautiful landscapes and animals. It really leaves me breathless.
I also did to a sleep out with the other volunteers and the manager. We had to look around us at night, to see if there is some species and listen if we eared gun sounds because of the poaching. My friend Alexia and me, eared a lion and the next day when we were going back to the base, we saw two of them! It was awesome.

When I think about this trip, I remember how magical it was. People in the staff are involved and passionate in their job. The managers are kind, always happy and funny. They teach me a lot of things about nature and conservation. I see everything differently right now. They changed my life.
Now, I save money each month to go back there. I can't wait to see them and live it again and again. This trip was the best thing I ever did in my life. I'll never forget how good it was. And I can't find the words to tell LEO how thankful I am. I obviously recommend this place and I really hope you will be as happy as I was there.