Volunteer Placements in China
Lattitude Global Volunteering Canada (formerly GAP) Header Image Lattitude Global Volunteering Canada (formerly GAP) Header Image

Volunteer Placements in China

A snapshot

It is an incredible opportunity to be able to be independent in a foreign country while also having a job and purpose. Lattitude allows volunteers to grow personally in so many different ways.

I taught conversational English in China for five months at a vocational institute. It taught me so much about my personal strengths and weakness, as well as the aspects of being a leader and teacher. I was partnered with a young Australian woman. We developed our teaching curriculum using a wide range of topics such as Western culture, movies, the five senses etc. We were also responsible for a weekly English Corner club; any student could come and practice their English with us. I made many life-lasting memories and friends while in China - international friends and connections are a good thing. The cultural experience was amazing; there was always something new around the corner. It was an experience I will not soon forget.

Lattitude's staff are all incredibly friendly, helpful and hospitable, regardless of which country you deal with. They have truly gotten this volunteer abroad thing down to a science. It can be stressful for volunteers and/or parents, but Lattitude is with you ever step of the way - even after volunteers have returned home. Lattitude offers a variety of volunteer opportunities in several different countries, so there is bound to be something that appeals to everyone.

Lattitude has built a great support system that assures parents of their children's safety, while allowing these volunteers liberty in their free-time without reporting obligations to Lattitude. This freedom gives an authentic feel to the experience. Some of the best stories stem from spontaneous and slightly questionable decisions.

You reap what you sow in situations like these. The effort and time you invest during your time abroad will make all the difference - in work, social, and personal terms. In order to grow, you've got to push yourself and get uncomfortable; that's the only way to progress.

The whole notion of taking a gap year is still a bit of a foreign concept in North America. I encourage students to take the time to travel and step out of their boundaries. I promise anyone who embarks on this kind of experience will return a changed person.