Communications and Information Officer
Latin American Foundation for the Future Header Image Latin American Foundation for the Future Header Image

Communications and Information Officer

Rewarding international development internship in Peru!

I worked as LAFF Communications and Information Officer for 2 months in Cusco and am continuing to work remotely for another month (I am grateful for LAFF's flexibility in allowing me to do this). I thoroughly enjoyed my time spent in Peru. The work was eye-opening and engaging and provided me with an excellent opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the international development sector. I enjoyed working in a small team environment, and coming to understand how each role fits in to and is essential to the running of the organisation as a whole, which at first seems to have a relatively complex structure. While plenty of support and guidance was given by other team members and the Project Manager when needed, you are also expected to work independently and to use initiative and creativity to come up with new ways to generate content for the organisation's social media platforms.

I would add that, for this position, speaking Spanish to a high standard is a great asset. It allows you interact with local partner organisations and with beneficiaries. For example, one of the tasks of my internship has been to conduct informal interviews with beneficiaries in order to gather information for fundraising purposes. I was glad to be able to put my existing language skills to good use and continue improving them in a professional context.

Cusco is a vibrant and pleasant place to live. In my free time, I did as many touristy things as possible and loved getting to know the local culture through exploring the city, participating in local festivities (such as the massive water fights for carnival!) and taking some Quechua classes. The team was very sociable and there was not a single moment when I was bored in Cusco. As a British national, the cost of living seemed cheap and it's relatively easy to get by on a budget (the big tourist attractions are the only expensive things!). There is a large ex-pat and volunteer community in Cusco, which means that it is easy to socialise and meet new people, yet this perhaps made it a little difficult to make local friends.

Overall, my internship has been a very enriching and educational experience on both a personal and professional level. Ideally, I would have stayed at least 3 months in Cusco as it takes about one month to get settled and come to fully understand how LAFF works. I would strongly recommend to anyone with an interest in international development and a flare for organisation, communications and social media.