Teach English in Russia
Language Link Header Image Language Link Header Image

Teach English in Russia

Great teaching opportunity!

Having worked at Language Link for the past 5 years, I feel I'm in a great position to pass along my highest regards for this company. Language Link has always bent over backwards to ensure that I'm happy in my position, have answers to my questions, and thoroughly enjoy what I'm doing.

As with any working situation, there are hiccups from time to time, however, what exemplifies this company is it's willingness to rectify any adverse situations. Though overall, the company works very hard to ensure teachers are properly trained, enjoy what they're doing, and supported all the way.

I can't recommend this company enough. The overwhelming majority of teachers I'm directly in communication with, as well as myself, are extremely happy here and have had amazing experiences as a result. I'm very happy with my decision to join the company.

A life changer

Thinking of changing your career? Taking on a new challenge? Put something worthwhile back in but never thought it might be possible?
Well that was me seven years ago.
A long career in Advertising with numerous agencies and creative start ups behind me,suddenly I felt a strange veil of pointlessness to my life descend over me!
Whatever the past achievements and experiences, the awards nights and successful sales pitches, suddenly the world had changed the Ad' businesse,and to its detriment as far as my opinion was concerned!
So what was next on the horizon?
Clear the in-tray and spin the bottle!!
So this isn't your normal review for a company I now work for and enjoy.
Having been recommended to this little known and niche industry by an Italian teacher friend - I completed the Trinity Tesol course,and with certificate in hand descende on a summer camp in late Summer 2011.
First morning,first class and despite the nerves and slight apprehension, the veil lifted!!
OK! So the in- tray forgotten! Spinning bottle - left spinning!!
Where now?
Well luckily a teacher who was part of the academic group at the camp was working for Language Link, and stirred my imagination by suggesting Moscow!!
So after some Skype interviews and arrangements later I arrived on my first day having been collected from the airport and taken to my new digs...
Unlike so many other experiences of joint a new and strange work body - it was refreshingly open and accommodating.
With initial arrangements concerning visa,travel preperation and accommodation all in place before I arrived - the company and academic staff continued to support and prepare me for the coming days and weeks of the teaching experience ahead.
With continued professional development,teacher workshops and excellent academic support from the staff for myself and my colleagues, it has been a thoroughly enriching and satisfying journey I feel for all.Add to this the breathtaking culture,history and atmoSphere of one of the most vibrant and fascinating countries in the world,and you have an enticing choice in front of you.
Should you make that choice,make this company your first port of call.
It a special place in my humble opinion,which has your well being and future development firmly to the fore. Why wouldn't it?
And the reward?
It's real,and ready for you to check out!

Teaching for Language Link

From the time that I was an intern at Language Link I've been met with both support ranging from academic, pastoral, emotions, and financial. As a foreigner in any country, it can be quite nerve-racking from time to time, however there has always been somebody at Language Link to help me and to not make me feel alone.

The academic support for me has a teacher has been rich and on-going. From the beginning until now I've never been in a vulnerable position while standing up in front of my classroom because my company doesn't let me be ill-prepared or ill-informed. I have both the Academic Management and Administrative staff to thank for that.

I'd recommend Language Link for anyone who is interested in teaching in Russia and who wants to experience and be a part of the best possible option for it. Also I believe that our students are continuously satisfied with our teaching because they keep coming back year after year.

• Support Services

The most credible teaching school in Moscow

Risk undoubtedly plays the greatest role when thinking about moving to any country, especially Russia. Prior to applying to Language Link I had interviews with a few other schools who left me with doubts over whether the wage would be reliable and sufficient, whether I would be able to advance professionally, whether visas and medical insurance would be provided, what I would do during the summer if I wished to remain and even whether I would have a place to live.

Language Link answered all of those questions with a tried and true system that provides for more needs than you realise you have. It’s that experienced hand that really helps to alleviate your doubts and gives you a platform to start exploring this great and surprising country.

Professionally, there is opportunity to grow as a teacher, whether you arrive with no experience or lots. I have been here 3 years or so and I’m still learning about the job and how to become a better teacher every day. The support you receive is thorough yet also relaxed and friendly enough not to be off-putting. This really facilitates your growth.

Back home, there can be a perception that TEFL is something to coast through where the English teacher has to do little more than speak. That’s not the case here. Your students are real people who have saved up to learn English with you. And they will work hard to learn from you, using your English as a template. This power and duty of responsibility and influence means it’s basically an inevitability that you’ll end up working hard too. It’s therefore no accident that Language Link has all of the teaching resources and expertise on hand to help you give the best lessons you can.

All manner of administrative work is also covered by an extremely helpful, English-speaking staff. You literally don’t need to worry about much.

As far as teaching in Moscow is concerned, Language Link offers the most credible option - a mixture of support and experience, in particular, setting it apart.

• Support Services

A great place to teach English

I came to Russia in 2007 as part of the Intern Teaching Program. My initial plan was to come for a year and see how I liked it. 10 years later and I couldn't be happier with the sense of fulfillment I get from teaching (and learning from) my students.
While there are many language schools in Moscow the thing that has kept me teaching at LanguageLink is the reliability of the company. Everyday, I hear horror stories from teachers at other companies or those who work freelance about visa issues or trouble with their accommodation. I do not hear this from LanguageLink teachers however.
The past 10 years has flown by and I continue to be as happy as I was that first year. The only difference is that now I also have 10 years of great memories.

• Support Services

Heaven for TEFL teachers, novices or experienced

After four years of teaching English in Moscow, I decided to change companies and take a position with Language Link, not out of dissatisfaction with my previous school, but out of a desire to teach closer to the city center. It took me less than a month to realize what an incredibly brilliant move I'd unwittingly made.

From my interactions with the Visa Office on Day One, to my orientation training and first formal observation, I was very impressed with the organization and efficiency of the support staff. My supervisors have turned the neat trick of setting a high standard while helping keep things loose and relaxed so I can get on with the business of teaching with as little stress as possible. The veteran teachers and Academic Department are available and eager to share their wisdom with me when I'm confronted with a new challenge. The administrators are thorough and clear with timetabling and keeping me abreast of the fickle whims of individual students' ever-changing schedules. And my immediate colleagues are friendly and interesting.

My previous school wasn't some terrible place to work, but Language Link made it pale in comparison.

As an experienced teacher with time served at another company, I have a unique perspective from which to appreciate all the difficult things that Language Link does well. I wish that my introduction to TEFL instruction abroad had been done through Language Link. If they'll have you, I'd recommend that anyone ready to brave the adventure of teaching abroad seek out this wonderful language school.

• Host School or Placement

How is it to be a Spanish teacher at Language Link?

Well, I must say that working for Language Link has been quite a rewarding experience. I ´ve been working two years for this company and I only have good things to say about my working and living conditions while working here. So far I don´t have any complaints, on the contrary I feel most grateful for all the kindness and support I have received from the academic community.
Concerning my working conditions, I must say that I´ve been so fortunate to have such a professional team work to rely on, the academic department has been always willing to help me in order to improve my teaching performance, I´ve always counted with excellent resources for teaching Spanish and the academic department is always open to suggestions about things that I consider must be updated or changed. I have never had any problems getting my salary on time, the company is very responsible about the well-being of all the teachers.
About my living conditions. Language Link has always taken care of my accomodation and everything I need to be comfortable in my flat, also I´ve always had a health insurance provided for the company which has been very helpful in those times that I´ve been sick (Specially during the winter).
With all this being said, I can only but recommend this school to other teachers interested in working abroad, specifically in Russia.

Camila,
Spanish Teacher at Language Link.

EFL teacher

The thing that really appreciated about working for this company is the impressive level of structure and organisation involved. I have worked with several EFL companies in the past, and Language Link, Russia feels much more like a serious, professional company than anywhere else I've worked. The administrative and academic support has been great, and they really do try to make you feel valued as an emplyee.

• Support Services

A rewarding challenge that will enrich your life

I worked for Language Link for about one year as a teacher of English and Italian and looking back to my experience I can say with no doubt that I consider it as a particularly meaningful one and that I would do it again.

Living in Moscow is not a piece of cake, so you must know in advance that the adventure you are about to undertake will be challenging and you will sometimes feel that it is too cold, too stressful, too tiresome. You must also know that you will, one by one, overcome all the obstacles and anxieties until you will realise that you can handle it and, more important, enjoy it. All along you will have the support and help of Language Link’s friendly staff. The company’s strength is that they assist with Visa requirements, accommodation, housing and transfer from/to airport at arrival, which definitely makes your life a lot easier.

This was my first full-time job, so especially at the beginning I was afraid of my superiors’ judgement or of committing mistakes. I was working with people of all ages and levels, in schools and in-company, with groups and individual. My timetable varied greatly over the year but always left me enough spare time to attend classes of Russian and organize my lessons with ease. With time, I realized that the administrators of all the schools I worked in were very keen on helping me and tried to organize my schedule in the best possible way. They proved to be understanding, kind, interested in my well-being and this in turn made it easier for me to talk to them about every problem. The same goes for my students, who were passionate, hard-working and made it a pleasure to go and deliver the class. I always thought that teaching cannot be impersonal and indeed the bonds I built with some of my students outlived the academic year. I have to admit that I found a particular commitment to study among Russian students.

What about the country itself? Russia is a fascinating country with plenty of places that deserve to be visited: from the snow-kissed waters of the Barents Sea in Murmansk to the warmer Sochi, from the European atmosphere of Saint Petersburg to Kazan’s wonderful mosque and the fairy-tale allure of Suzdal', my advice is: travel as much as you can. The variety of landscapes and atmospheres offered by Russia is incredible and mirrored by Moscow’s eclecticism. Really, there is not a thing you won’t find in this city.

All in all, I am very happy that I had the possibility to work with Language Link. Over the course of the year I learnt a lot, both professionally and academically and I gained the experience and confidence which I needed to undertake a PhD programme in another country. I recommend LL to anyone who wants to teach abroad and is looking for an experience that will greatly enrich his/her life.

A fantastic opportunity

If you want to teach English in a foreign country but have no experience- look no further!

Language Link's Teacher Intern Training Programme offers a fantastic opportunity to become fully equipped with the necessary teaching knowledge to take upon a role teaching English in a foreign country.

The company is supportive and assists with visa requirements, accommodation and also ensures it's teachers are a t a sufficient level to teach English professionally.

I found my time with Language Link rewarding and especially the students, fellow teachers and administrators at the Domodedova centre made my experience a wonderful one.

-Vanessa

TEFL teacher

Last week (July 2017) having lived and worked there for 18 years I finally left Russia. My last act was to meet the proprietor of Language Link, Mr Robert Jensky.

When leaving the UK in my twenties with very little work experience as an untrained teacher I could never have expected to stay for so long. Not only did I pick up qualifications at Language Link, but I also made an important discovery that changed my life: I enjoyed teaching and was also rather good at it.

Although I later went on to work as a freelance and then at an international school in Moscow those early years at Language Link were decisive for me. The opportunity to make a fresh start in an unknown country was an exhilarating experience. I fell in love with Russia literally on first sight.

And so in those very last days wandering around Moscow's streets, I thought back and remembered those days where it had all begun. The most important reason that time remains so vivid to me is that it was an undilutedly positive experience working at Langauge Link. I worked with good professionals and had lots of very good students and made many friends.

When the time finally came for me to leave Russia I decided to call in on Robert, more than 10 years after I had left Language Link. In the meantime, his daughter had grown up and many old colleagues had moved on to flourish in their chosen areas. I think the fact that I wanted to pay Robert a visit and the fact that he still remembered me and wanted to chat with me at length says a lot about him and the character of his company.

Was eighteen years too long to be in Russia? Be warned! Many people who think about coming to work in Russia want to find out about how things really are here. We are all familiar with the negative reports about the country. When you get here, you are going to be confronted by a very rich culture forged by a fascinating history and populated by a people who are deeply attractive. They will change you if you stay too long.

Language Link opened up this great country for me. I never had a bad day in Russia and leave with a record of significant personal success. Robert Jensky got that ball rolling for me and it was a great pleasure for me to be able to tell him so in person.

From a grateful 'Language Linker'.

Alex Weever

Teaching English in the Moscow region

Before making the decision to come to Moscow, I had worked as a teacher of English and composition at two American community colleges and a private high school, in addition to teaching rhetoric as a graduate student. As many do, I began my search for an employer by reading reviews of language schools on the Internet. With the hope that I might help someone in a similar situation, I want to share my own experience.

I have been living in the outskirts of Moscow for two and a half years now, and will be starting my fourth contract with Language Link this September. The fact that I have chosen to stay with Language Link during this time serves as a very positive review in itself.

It is important to keep in mind that the living and working conditions of teachers will vary based on their particular school, director, coworkers, administrators, and housing situation. Consequently, I cannot speak for everyone. In my own case, I have been very fortunate to work in a school with a fantastic director, who has gone out of her way over and over again in order to ensure that my needs are being met. The school's administrators have also been wonderful to work with. All of my interactions with the main office and school in Moscow have been positive. The staff is considerate to teachers, as well professional and dependable with respect to pay, visas, and other formalities. I am happy with my housing, and receive what I consider to be a fair salary, considering the average income in the Moscow region. Most importantly, my students (mainly teenagers) have been a pleasure to teach.

The simple fact is that many teachers come to Russia straight from university, often with little or no work experience. If they become unhappy, they tend to unfairly target their employers (this is true for all major schools in Russia). In reality, the working conditions at Language Link are just as good or better than many places where they might work in their own country. Strangely enough, many teachers also seem to expect not to have to work much. Teaching English is a full-time job and should be treated as one!

If you come here with the right attitude — that is, ready and willing to be immersed in Russian culture and to help people as much as you can to learn English — then I believe that Language Link will provide you with an excellent opportunity.

Teaching at Language Link

I've been teaching at Language Link for nearly 4 years now and I started out on the in-house teacher training program as I had no previous English-teaching experience.
The initial program was rather intense, but well worth the effort as I learnt so much and received a teaching qualification out of it, as well.
As for conditions when working with Language Link, I generally don't have many complaints. The pay isn't amazing but it's always been sufficient for my needs without having to be too careful. What's more, accommodation is provided and, upon successful completion of a contract, visa and flight costs are reimbursed. There is also sick leave and medical insurance and holiday time included.
When I first took this job, I didn't see myself staying very long and wasn't sure I would enjoy teaching at all, but, as I said, I'm now in my fourth year here and still enjoying both my job and my life in Moscow.
I would say that if you are considering moving to Russia, you should think about it carefully first- it's not for everyone, but I can honestly say that I have no regrets at all about moving here and I have lived in different cities as both a student and a teacher, so it can also be incredibly rewarding, and Language Link has a good support system in place.
As with anything in life, it's worth doing your research, both about the country and the job, but ultimately, even if you only want to come short term, I would definitely recommend working with Language Link and coming to Russia.

• Support Services

A great experience, with the right expectations

I started at Language Link as a teacher intern, having no experience teaching English as a foreign language. Nearly 3 years later, I'm still with the company and I still really enjoy it! I can only speak for my personal experience, but coming to Russia and working with Language Link has been one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Probably the best thing about working at Language Link is the support you get as a teacher. There is a dedicated academic support staff who really care about the quality of the lessons the students receive. There is always someone available to answer questions and provide help with lesson planning, difficult students, or really anything you need help with. There are also lots of free workshops, seminars, and tutorials to help fine tune teaching techniques and brush up on grammar.

Language Link uses the Communicative Approach to teaching. In my experience, this seems to be the best way for students to learn a language. It involves a lot of student conversation, games, and English only in the classroom. The methodology is very effective, but it does require quite a bit of planning on the teacher's part. I would suggest doing some reading about this approach before applying if you aren't familiar with it already.

Living in Russia isn't always easy. That being said, it is a fantastic experience if you have the right mindset! I chose Moscow as my home because there are always exciting events happening, there's so much history to explore, and because it is just absolutely beautiful here. Language Link provides a flat for their teachers, but the living conditions aren't always ideal. You will have another teacher as a flatmate. I have been extremely lucky with my accommodation because my flatmate has become my best friend! Some flats are nicer than others, but the housing department does try to place you as close to the school where you'll work as possible. There's also a maintenance man on hand to take care of any issues that arise in the flats.

The pay is fairly average. It's definitely enough to survive on in Russia. It's possible to save some money if you live modestly. The cost of food is relatively low compared to the US (where I'm from) but other things are a bit more expensive in Moscow (like clothing and entry to some museums).

All in all, my experience with Language Link has been overwhelmingly positive. I can't stress enough how important it is to come to Russia with an open mind and the right expectations for what life is like here. Do some research about living conditions in the city you want to go to. Read the Language Link contract carefully and decide if it's something you are happy with. The school itself is supportive and dedicated to improving its teachers and helping students to succeed. I'm proud of how I've developed as a teacher with the help of Language Link, I love my job, and I love my students, so I would definitely recommend this experience.

Teaching English

I love my students. Love living in Mitino, great admins who are usually on the ball. Good resources, though I have bought many books (grammar books, dictionaries and other references) out of pocket. I love teaching and feel it to be my calling. I will remember fondly the friends made and energetic, kind, enthusiastic, funny students who bring so much to the table. I learn as much from as they do from me. Wherever I may end up in the future, I thank my admins in Mitino for being so kind and helpful, my DOS's for their support, my friends and colleagues past and present, and last but not least, the students. Each of you holds a special place in my heart.