Teach English in Russia
Language Link Header Image Language Link Header Image

Teach English in Russia

Heaven for TEFL Teachers, Novices or Experienced

After four years of teaching English in Moscow, I decided to change companies and take a position with Language Link, not out of dissatisfaction with my previous school, but out of a desire to teach closer to the city center. It took me less than a month to realize what an incredibly brilliant move I'd unwittingly made.

From my interactions with the Visa Office on Day One, to my orientation training and first formal observation, I was very impressed with the organization and efficiency of the support staff. My supervisors have turned the neat trick of setting a high standard while helping keep things loose and relaxed so I can get on with the business of teaching with as little stress as possible. The veteran teachers and Academic Department are avaibable and eager to share their wisdom with me when I'm confronted with a new challenge. The administrators are throrough and clear with timetabling and keeping me abreast of the fickle whims of individual students' everchanging schedules. And my immediate colleagues are friendly and interesting.

My previous school wasn't some terrible place to work, but Language Link made it pale in comparison.

As an experienced teacher with time served at another company, I have a unique perspective from which to appreciate all the difficult things that Language Link does well. I wish that my introduction to TEFL instruction abroad had been done through Language Link. If they'll have you, I'd recommend that anyone ready to brave the adventure of teaching abroad seek out this wonderful language school.

• Host School or Placement

How is it to be a Spanish teacher at Language Link?

Well, I must say that working for Language Link has been quite a rewarding experience. I ´ve been working two years for this company and I only have good things to say about my working and living conditions while working here. So far I don´t have any complaints, on the contrary I feel most grateful for all the kindness and support I have received from the academic community.
Concerning my working conditions, I must say that I´ve been so fortunate to have such a professional team work to rely on, the academic department has been always willing to help me in order to improve my teaching performance, I´ve always counted with excellent resources for teaching Spanish and the academic department is always open to suggestions about things that I consider must be updated or changed. I have never had any problems getting my salary on time, the company is very responsible about the well-being of all the teachers.
About my living conditions. Language Link has always taken care of my accomodation and everything I need to be comfortable in my flat, also I´ve always had a health insurance provided for the company which has been very helpful in those times that I´ve been sick (Specially during the winter).
With all this being said, I can only but recommend this school to other teachers interested in working abroad, specifically in Russia.

Camila,
Spanish Teacher at Language Link.

EFL teacher

The thing that really appreciated about working for this company is the impressive level of structure and organisation involved. I have worked with several EFL companies in the past, and Language Link, Russia feels much more like a serious, professional company than anywhere else I've worked. The administrative and academic support has been great, and they really do try to make you feel valued as an emplyee.

TEFL teacher

Last week (July 2017) having lived and worked there for 18 years I finally left Russia. My last act was to meet the proprietor of Language Link, Mr Robert Jensky.

When leaving the UK in my twenties with very little work experience as an untrained teacher I could never have expected to stay for so long. Not only did I pick up qualifications at Language Link, but I also made an important discovery that changed my life: I enjoyed teaching and was also rather good at it.

Although I later went on to work as a freelance and then at an international school in Moscow those early years at Language Link were decisive for me. The opportunity to make a fresh start in an unknown country was an exhilarating experience. I fell in love with Russia literally on first sight.

And so in those very last days wandering around Moscow's streets, I thought back and remembered those days where it had all begun. The most important reason that time remains so vivid to me is that it was an undilutedly positive experience working at Langauge Link. I worked with good professionals and had lots of very good students and made many friends.

When the time finally came for me to leave Russia I decided to call in on Robert, more than 10 years after I had left Language Link. In the meantime, his daughter had grown up and many old colleagues had moved on to flourish in their chosen areas. I think the fact that I wanted to pay Robert a visit and the fact that he still remembered me and wanted to chat with me at length says a lot about him and the character of his company.

Was eighteen years too long to be in Russia? Be warned! Many people who think about coming to work in Russia want to find out about how things really are here. We are all familiar with the negative reports about the country. When you get here, you are going to be confronted by a very rich culture forged by a fascinating history and populated by a people who are deeply attractive. They will change you if you stay too long.

Language Link opened up this great country for me. I never had a bad day in Russia and leave with a record of significant personal success. Robert Jensky got that ball rolling for me and it was a great pleasure for me to be able to tell him so in person.

From a grateful 'Language Linker'.

Alex Weever

Teaching English in the Moscow Region

Before making the decision to come to Moscow, I had worked as a teacher of English and composition at two American community colleges and a private high school, in addition to teaching rhetoric as a graduate student. As many do, I began my search for an employer by reading reviews of language schools on the Internet. With the hope that I might help someone in a similar situation, I want to share my own experience.

I have been living in the outskirts of Moscow for two and a half years now, and will be starting my forth contract with Language Link this September. The fact that I have chosen to stay with Language Link during this time serves as a very positive review in itself.

It is important to keep in mind that the living and working conditions of teachers will vary based on their particular school, director, coworkers, administrators, and housing situation. Consequently, I cannot speak for everyone. In my own case, I have been very fortunate to work in a school with a fantastic director, who has gone out of her way over and over again in order to ensure that my needs are being met. The school's administrators have also been wonderful to work with. All of my interactions with the main office and school in Moscow have been positive. The staff is considerate to teachers, as well professional and dependable with respect to pay, visas, and other formalities. I am happy with my housing, and receive what I consider to be a fair salary, considering the average income in the Moscow region. Most importantly, my students (mainly teenagers) have been a pleasure to teach.

The simple fact is that many teachers come to Russia straight from university, often with little or no work experience. If they become unhappy, they tend to unfairly target their employers (this is true for all major schools in Russia). In reality, the working conditions at Language Link are just as good or better than many places where they might work in their own country. Strangely enough, many teachers also seem to expect not to have to work much. Teaching English is a full-time job and should be treated as one!

If you come here with the right attitude — that is, ready and willing to be immersed in Russian culture and to help people as much as you can to learn English — then I believe that Language Link will provide you with an excellent opportunity.

Teaching at Language Link

I've been teaching at Language Link for nearly 4 years now and I started out on the in-house teacher training program as I had no previous English-teaching experience.
The initial program was rather intense, but well worth the effort as I learnt so much and received a teaching qualification out of it, as well.
As for conditions when working with Language Link, I generally don't have many complaints. The pay isn't amazing but it's always been sufficient for my needs without having to be too careful. What's more, accommodation is provided and, upon successful completion of a contract, visa and flight costs are reimbursed. There is also sick leave and medical insurance and holiday time included.
When I first took this job, I didn't see myself staying very long and wasn't sure I would enjoy teaching at all, but, as I said, I'm now in my fourth year here and still enjoying both my job and my life in Moscow.
I would say that if you are considering moving to Russia, you should think about it carefully first- it's not for everyone, but I can honestly say that I have no regrets at all about moving here and I have lived in different cities as both a student and a teacher, so it can also be incredibly rewarding, and Language Link has a good support system in place.
As with anything in life, it's worth doing your research, both about the country and the job, but ultimately, even if you only want to come short term, I would definitely recommend working with Language Link and coming to Russia.

• Support Services

A great experience, with the right expectations

I started at Language Link as a teacher intern, having no experience teaching English as a foreign language. Nearly 3 years later, I'm still with the company and I still really enjoy it! I can only speak for my personal experience, but coming to Russia and working with Language Link has been one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Probably the best thing about working at Language Link is the support you get as a teacher. There is a dedicated academic support staff who really care about the quality of the lessons the students receive. There is always someone available to answer questions and provide help with lesson planning, difficult students, or really anything you need help with. There are also lots of free workshops, seminars, and tutorials to help fine tune teaching techniques and brush up on grammar.

Language Link uses the Communicative Approach to teaching. In my experience, this seems to be the best way for students to learn a language. It involves a lot of student conversation, games, and English only in the classroom. The methodology is very effective, but it does require quite a bit of planning on the teacher's part. I would suggest doing some reading about this approach before applying if you aren't familiar with it already.

Living in Russia isn't always easy. That being said, it is a fantastic experience if you have the right mindset! I chose Moscow as my home because there are always exciting events happening, there's so much history to explore, and because it is just absolutely beautiful here. Language Link provides a flat for their teachers, but the living conditions aren't always ideal. You will have another teacher as a flatmate. I have been extremely lucky with my accommodation because my flatmate has become my best friend! Some flats are nicer than others, but the housing department does try to place you as close to the school where you'll work as possible. There's also a maintenance man on hand to take care of any issues that arise in the flats.

The pay is fairly average. It's definitely enough to survive on in Russia. It's possible to save some money if you live modestly. The cost of food is relatively low compared to the US (where I'm from) but other things are a bit more expensive in Moscow (like clothing and entry to some museums).

All in all, my experience with Language Link has been overwhelmingly positive. I can't stress enough how important it is to come to Russia with an open mind and the right expectations for what life is like here. Do some research about living conditions in the city you want to go to. Read the Language Link contract carefully and decide if it's something you are happy with. The school itself is supportive and dedicated to improving its teachers and helping students to succeed. I'm proud of how I've developed as a teacher with the help of Language Link, I love my job, and I love my students, so I would definitely recommend this experience.