Linguistic & Cultural Exchange / Au-pair placements in Spain
Language Job Spain Header Image Language Job Spain Header Image

Linguistic & Cultural Exchange / Au-pair placements in Spain

Au-Pair in Galicia

This Summer I had the amazing opportunity of travelling to A Coruna, Spain for 2 months as an au-pair for a wonderful family. I looked after 3 boys, ages 5, 7, and 9. The family as a whole was extremely welcoming, warm, and loving. I can't say enough good things about them and A Coruna. The food is out of this world, especially for seafood lovers, the people are kind and helpful, and the city is absolutely beautiful. Fresh fruit markets, delis and pastry stores are on every corner making grocery shopping easy. Spain also has the best fashion stores!! During my time there I met a wonderful friend and we travelled together every weekend to different cities in Galicia. The transportation system is fast, easy and cheap, and extremely safe! As a young girl I had zero worries about spending a night out, as thats when the best time is! The streets are alive with restaurants and music, from sunset until sunrise, its incredible. My time there as an au-pair was life changing and I am in touch with the family weekly! I hope to go back this following summer :)

• Professional Development

The most rewarding summer of my life!

I want to say thank you for allowing me this opportunity, I couldn't have imagined a better summer with as incredible a family! I didn't have many expectations going into my summer as an au pair, but it was so much more than I could have imagined. The 3 kids I worked with left a huge imprint on my heart and I think about them and their entire family nearly every day. My family completely took me under their wing, making me feel totally comfortable, giving my my space but also including as one of the family. My language skills improved immensely as well. I will always recommend Galicia as well, for the hospitality, the scenery, and the seafood ;) One of the best experiences of my life for sure.

A paradise to live in!

Sooo... the past 4 months have not only been the best in my life but I felt as if I was 13 again! The kids I took care and taught English of were the best kids ever (a 13-year old and 8- year old boys)! Except of Spanish, I have been skating, swimming, riding bikes, meeting amazing people, attending surfing competitions, attending a Spanish Christening, going in the cinema and on family trips AND LAUGHING AND LAUGHING AND LAUGHING. This summer was one of the best I have ever had if not the best in my life so far! When I came here at the beginning, as my first au pair experience I was so scared that the kids won't like me, how will they behave and things like this. As soon as I met them, I just clicked with them so well - I never had days when I felt homesick or sad, and that's all because of them - the kids and the family who accepted me as the older sister! I absolutely loved my experience to bits and if I could've stayed here forever, I would have stayed with no doubt! Amazing people, amazing children, amazing atmosphere, amazing place, amazing views and amazing life! This was the best summer ever! I would recommend with no doubt the au pair experience in Galicia to everyone!

Two months to remember

I am so grateful for the fantastic opportunity offered by LanguageJobSpain, as I am sure that being an au-pair in Vigo this summer has changed my life. Doña Ana and her family have been amazing, and so were the friends I've met in Galicia. I have managed to build some strong bonds with people in Vigo and, hopefully, I can come back and visit them at some point.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the company of my family who looked after me like I was their own son. Day trips to places like Porto, Cies Islands, Ons Islands, A Coruña or Santiago will always be on my mind and all these have only been possible due to the benevolence of doña Ana and her family. Fate has been really kind with me. I cannot stress out enough how friendly and enjoyable the people in Vigo have been.

Galician cuisine is one of a kind: all kind of seafruits, churrascos, chorizo, jamon, cheese, combined together with other exquisite dishes and some of the best wines I've ever tasted. Magnificent!

It might sound like I've lived an utopic life in the two months spent in Spain, but there really isn't anything negative I can point out. The time spent with Claudio and Santiago (the fantastic two kids for whom I have been a bigger brother) was great fun and taught me a lot - they are the first I have to thank for helping me grasp the basics of Spanish. I am improving my skills now, as I keep in touch with the friends I made in Vigo.