One-on-One Class (customized program) + study visa
Kunming College of Eastern Language Header Image Kunming College of Eastern Language Header Image

One-on-One Class (customized program) + study visa

• Facilities

Do not attend KCEL!

I was incredibly disappointed with KCEL. I have attended schools--in China and the US--with much better teachers. If you want to study in Kunming specifically, I would recommend Yunnan Normal University over KCEL any day!

Also be warned: the tuition fees can be quite unreasonable expensive. For one-to-one classes, the cost is a minimum of 90rmb/hour. If you attend less than 120 hours, then they try to charge you 120rmb per hour (not listed anywhere), which is just astronomically high, especially considering how terrible the teachers are. Also, they force you to pay in a lump sum instead of on a weekly basis because their policy is that if you need to leave the program early for ANY REASON you will not get a refund. For example, I had a family emergency and immediately needed to return home, my tuition fee had not even finalized, and the administration refused to refund the tuition. Note: other universities do refund tuition expenses! Especially considering the teachers made absolutely no plan of study for me--and even made me take a taxi by myself to a bookstore to pick out my own textbook (which I purchased and they did not let me keep)--I do not see why it would be *impossible* or unreasonable for them to refund at least some of the tuition expenses. And even though I think the quality of the education is terrible, I also think that it is unfortunate that the tuition I paid and subsequently did not use will go directly to the administration and will not go to teachers or other staff. I know of several other students who have had issues with the administration regarding tuition and reimbursement. The teachers and staff honestly seem afraid of the admin, too, which is quite telling.

Many schools also offer many more opportunities to interact with other students and teachers, while KCEL only really offers lunch (which is not included in tuition) and the teachers often just sit together and talk amongst themselves.

Bottom line: KCEL is in the business of taking your money, they are not providing quality education or cultural immersion. I would choose any school over KCEL.

• Facilities

Great learning journey!

I was a student from Canada. When I was studying Chinese in KCEL, the teaching facility was great and the teachers and staffs were very friendly and helpful. The school location couldn't be better, which is close to everything and let enjoy the urban life in Kunming. Definitely worth the money!