KEI Abroad in Nairobi, Kenya
Knowledge Exchange Institute (KEI) participants Knowledge Exchange Institute (KEI) participants

KEI Abroad in Nairobi, Kenya

Best 3.5 months of my life

My study abroad semester was the first time I had ever traveled out of the United States, the first time I had traveled alone, and also the first time I had ever gone somewhere where absolutely no one knew me. All of those things seemed scary at first but actually made the program exactly what I needed! I was able to explore myself, a new place, and a new identity for myself. I was able to do so many things I had never done before and would never have had the opportunity to do at home. I also made many friends that i still keep in touch with and plan to be able to visit in the future. These are wonderful connections to have in places that I wouldn't even dream of visiting without them! I was able to find a hobby that i really like and can continue with here at home, Hiking! Hiking in new places was a wonderful way to travel and see the beauty of Kenya and now a way to travel around here at home!

Poorly planned and no assistance

Program was not well-planned and had not been updated prior to our exchange. There was no assistance for dietary issues or sickness while away. When asked for assistance they would not provide any.