King's College London - Study Abroad Program
King's College London Header Image King's College London Header Image

King's College London - Study Abroad Program

2016/2017 academic year study abroad

I was quite nervous when I first arrived in England because I had never been out of my home country before, not to mention by myself. Everything seemed confusing and scary, but I expected someone to tell me how I should best go about living in this new place called London. However, that never really came. My study abroad experience has involved a lot of figuring things out on my own, and eventually asking for help when I need it - and for that I am grateful. There is no right way to study abroad, it's something you have to figure out for yourself. King's has offered me a support system to fall back on if needed, but has encouraged my independence as well as exploration of my new surroundings. At times it all this independence seems a little daunting, and I have made my fair share of mistakes, but King's makes sure that you are never really alone. In terms of the academics, it is quite different than I am used to, but I like the freedom given in some of the courses to pursue subjects that interest me personally. If nothing else, by trying out a different academic system, I am better able to see the things I like and dislike about the system I am used to. There are also so many different ideas that are presented in class because the people are different and have a completely different background than myself.

King's College London has a good program in a great location.

London was a wonderful city to study in 2008! I was studying history in a city full of history, which made it come alive. I think it was a good problem though it did have some administrative issues - not enough collaboration between King's College and GWU. Such a great experience overall though! Travel around Europe while you're there!

Study abroad at King's

I love my academic coursework here. There are so many classes to choose from. The professors were all very intelligent and good quality lecturers. The seminars (a few hours a week) were usually very good. The professors and seminar tutors are always free to meet with you if you need extra help. It never took my professors more than a few days to reply to my emails. Similarly, the study abroad office replies to emails quickly. They help out with module selection which was one of the hardest parts for me to figure out as a study abroad student. One thing that surprised me was how technological/regulated the systems are here: for example, you can't just email a professor to get into their class, you have to submit your assignments exactly on time online, you do your laundry in the residence halls with an application on your phone, etc. The residence halls are far from campus sometimes, but they're clean and well-managed. I love my flatmates and it's a good bonding experience to live with other King's students.

Its location is also one of the best parts of King's. Both King’s campuses where I take classes, Strand and Waterloo, are on the Thames River. You're in the middle of London, one of the most vibrant cities in the world! There are countless museums, markets, shows, events, restaurants, etc. The transportation is very organized and relatively clean around the city (although expensive). It's also incredibly easy to travel to other countries cheaply from the U.K. I would encourage people to come abroad here; it's been a great experience.

great location, mediocre classes

The classes were good, not fantastic. But the location and vacation time (and ample free time) meant getting to see LOTS of London. I absolutely recommend it.

Excellent abroad experience

King's College War Studies department was an excellent study abroad experience. The campus on the Thames is ideal with its central London location.

The curriculum is varied and challenging, with accomplished faculty teaching most classes.

Housing through the college is poor, but intercollegiate housing is great if you can get it!