Penguin Rehabilitaiton

Verified

Location

South Africa: Port Elizabeth

Program Summary

Calling all animal lovers - endangered African (also called Jackass) Penguins are supported by the rehabilitation and conservation centre in Port Elizabeth and needs volunteers to assist with hands-on caring for the remarkable penguin, and other marine birds. Volunteers assist wherever the animals need you. You will work closely with wild animals, so be calm and collected and ready to get your hands dirty! Volunteers are guaranteed the privilege to learn and work closely with the endangered African Penguin and other marine birds. You will work with a dedicated team of hardworking, dedicated and motivated professional staff. You will have daily contact with the animals and assist in rescues and releases. This is a highly rewarding project for all kinds of animal lovers.

A lot of fun with friends and penguins

The best experience for me was meeting all the new people and finding amazing new friends. It was the most fun just spending time with them, no matter if it was while going on adventures like hikes, or if we were just talking and playing games in the evenings!
The bungee Jump I got to do was also a very awesome and intese experience, that I liked a lot!
And of course getting to work with the penguins was very cool too! It is so amazing that you really get to help and can see the difference you're making!

Holiday with the penguins

I really liked that I got to interact and work with the penguins a lot! It's not just doing all the side jobs, you also really get the help the penguins and birds.
It was amazing that we got to do so many different outigs and weekends! They were aways very well organised and so much fun!
Lastly it is just amazing to live with all these people in a house and to live together with them!

Best 3 weeks

I really liked to work at the Penguin Rehabilitation Center. I also really enjoyed to go out with the other volunteers from the house to explore Port Elizabeth itself and not only the Khaya house. Overall this trip was amazing for me and it taught me so much.

Going abroad in a new home

I enjoyed living in the volunteer house ad share all my experience with unknown people. I like that I worked where the help is really needed and it was great to get to know an other way of living.
It was a once in a life time experience for me.

Sanccob!

The Kasihop (Bar-Tour through the Township) was the best experience for me. It gave me the opportunity to see parts of the country that I could have never visited as a tourist. It was a entirely different experience compared to Europe. I also enjoyed my job at Sanccob Rehabilitation Center very much. I especially liked helping the staff with their daily tasks.

Living the dream

I had the best 4 weeks ever! I loved volunteering with the penguins at Sanccob Rehabilitation Center. The best experience for me was that I was the first person to get Samrec (one of the penguins) to eat by himself.

Enjoying the penguin life

Working with the penguins was really interesting. Getting to tube and feed the birds was the best experience ever and I would love to do it again. I also loved learning about all the birds. The good thing about this experience is a well that you get in contact with the locals very often, so you really get a good taste of the culture.

Great stuff!

It was an amazing time for me in Port Elizabeth. I really liked working in Sanccob.
The whole volunteer house, the people there are amazing and it felt like home to me. We did an amazing weekend trip to Port Alfred and a lovely city tour in Port Elizabeth.

Unique journey

Helping out the volunteers at samrec with the penguins as much as i can was a rewarding experience and i really enjoyed it. I also loved meeting all the new peoples and the great outings we had was really fun.

Penguin sanctuary

Feeding the penguins by hand, living in a well organised volunteer house where absolutely everything is en-pointe! I really enjoyed my stay and would want to come back again and volunteer at another project.

Best experience

Working with the penguins has been a rewarding experience, i enjoyed spending time at Samrec and really enjoyed my time in Port Elizabeth. Would definitely do it again. it was amazing and really good to help out where i could.

Brilliant

Working with the Penguins and meeting so many great people was an experience i will never forget. it was a great experience and i would recommend it to anyone. The penguins and i got along well and i will miss them.

For the love of animals; save the penguin!

The best experience was really all of it! Feeding the penguins was a highlight and I never thought so much routine and cleaning could be such fun. All because of the adorable penguins, but the cute creatures do bite but it is easy to forgive them. I really loved that I could help to have the children of 2 projects visit SAMREC as well to show them all about the penguins.

Notice: Our website and its third party tools use cookies, which are used to manage, monitor, and track usage to improve our website's services. If you want to know more or withdraw your consent to the use of cookies, please refer to our cookie policy.

By closing this banner, scrolling this page, clicking a link, or continuing to browse otherwise, you agree and consent to our use of cookies.