Missionvale Care Center
KHAYA Volunteer Projects Header Image KHAYA Volunteer Projects Header Image

Missionvale Care Center

Be the change you want to see in the world!

Getting to know missionvale and the people there was amazing, helping out in the different units and learning more about their work, life and culture. Coming back here for 5 weeks was the best decision ever and i will definitely come back for sure.

Out of the comfort zone, into the adventure :-)

I really had a great time helping out in the nutrition unit of missionvale, playing with the children was a joy, talking to the locals and meeting new people all over world. I enjoyed my stay and would definitely do it again.

Missionvale needs help

I organized my volunteer position at Missionvale and they forwarded me to Khaya to assist me with transport and accommodation. The opportunity to volunteer at the clinic and the many people I met were definitely a highlight. I definitely felt that my services were needed and I appreciated the pre-arranged transport, airport pick up and support I got from Samantha who is the volunteer coordinator for Khaya. It would have been very challenging to arrange all this on my own.
I really learned to 'go with the flow'. I tend to schedule things and am very disciplined which has made me a successful student and soon to be doctor. In the clinic I might get interrupted half a dozen times while interviewing 1 patient, so it was challenging but the way it goes.
My life has been touched by so many at Missionvale, from the care workers to the craft ladies. I feel I have only started to scratch the surface of what is South Africa and I have a better understanding of the challenges this beautiful country is facing.

Volunteering as an older couple!

Looking online and reading reviews about Khaya and Missionvale we decided as an older couple (we are in our 60's) to join them for 1 week. The best part of our experience was working at Missionvale, meeting all the people there but also the other (mostly young) volunteers at the house.
This experience reinforced the idea of how fortunate I am to so many others and that all people are the same no matter where they live or their income levels.
It was challenging at times to live with so many youngsters but we loved it and they were really great. For older people like us it would be good though to have separate accommodation if possible and we love to come back if that is possible!

Amazing

Interaction with the locals and the lovely volunteers, Samantha who organised everything really good and the lovely bus trips with Xolani. I enjoyed my stay and would definitely do it again. Weekend excursions was also great.

Nursing to the max!

Everyday was a learning experience as I acquired new skills and knowledge in my field. It was good to actually get the practical experience which has assisted me in many ways. My stay was short but rewarding.

Experiencing the reality of life in the townships in South Africa

Though a family member who volunteered here before I learned about Missionvale and Khaya and being able to experience the reality of life for so many people in South Africa was the best thing of this program for me. It was not always easy, I really had to learn to be independent as I am still young but it was an amazing experience.

An unforgettable experience

The people at Missionvale are really amazing. This experience helps you in your whole life. One thing that could be improved is that there could be some more nationalities, that would probably be more fun.

Faith is in the people

I participated in a volunteer holiday in Missionvale, Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
One of my wishes was to visit a country not as a tourist but as one of the residents.
I can without on put goal off at Missionvale. A town ship of 65,000 people.
In 1988 is an Irish non Ethel Normoyle started under a tree to help poor South Africans.

This is within the township become one to a center with a school of 250 pupils and a daily food issuance to 700 families.
In addition, there is also a medical center and clothing warehouse.

Through the volunteer organization Commundo and Kayha in South Africa I've specified 3 holiday weeks as a volunteer. From a volunteer House were the volunteers every working day to the projects.
From Monday to Friday from 8 to 3 hours I have worked in the center of the township, at the Missionvale food issue, the clothing store but also as a teacher to children of addicted parents.
The food issue consisted of a half you bread and a small bag of flour.
Per 15 people were through the fence of the center allowed to get their daily ration. There was also a week for a family package consisting of a can of tuna, canned beans, a pack of SOAP and 5 bags tea.I will never throw away a plastic bag bread without realizing how effective that was used here. In the bottom of the bread bag packed and the bars of SOAP were the rest of the plastic was used to 5 tea bags to pack. The clasp of broodzak served as a conclusion of their Christmas gift than for 5000 children throughout the year.

I have all the space provided to my knowledge as volleyball coach.
I have 12 Volleyball balls could take turns classes bought the art of volleyball at.
But I've also painting and drawing classes.

The lack of resources was harrowing. If the class had computer lessons were given 12 of the 24 students access to 4 computers. The other 12 had to that hour then but in the corner of the classroom.

But the most I am touched by the people from the township which work in the center.
For 125 euros per month they work everything around and in the weekends driving of the money that's left (??) 100 orphaned children fed. But while working there were no different than Sung (gospels), laughed and talked how grateful they were that they were allowed to do this.
It provides me with the thought that faith is in the people.

One morning when I was in the center was I heard singing. The children learned under the leadership of the headmaster of the song Hallelujah by Robert Cohen. If you do then does that which is with you.

Nice time

It was a really a good experience for me working with the kids in missionvale, going to the community and talking with the local people. I enjoyed spending time at the volunteer house with the rest of the volunteers who were very nice.

Adventurous :-)

I really enjoyed my stay, it was good assisting at the missionvale care center, making a difference for the kids. Meeting so many different people from all over the world has changed the way I perceive life and this was definitely a memorable experience for me.

Important things of the life

I met happy people, even though they were poor, they were smiling. The time spent at the project has been rewarding and sad at the same time. I feel that this has been an opportunity of self discovery and can change life.

An experience full of sun and love

At first I was a bit lost at the project but as time progressed I begin to find my way as I had to arrange my own work week. Also, I met so many inspiring people at the Missionvale Care Center that I became to love more than I could ever imagine. Travelling all by yourself seems to make you even more open for all the love people can give.

Experience South Africa and its people

As an older volunteer I decided to volunteer at Missionvale for 8 weeks. I really enjoyed being close to the ocean and the volunteer house is only 10 minutes walking from the beach so after work I had time to walk and enjoy the beaches.

I can recommend this experience to anybody and even though I was a lot older then most of the others and the noise they make is sometimes more then I was hoping for I can look back at a really special time. Maybe the older volunteers can be put in a room far from the lounge?

But I can recommend to stay for a longer period of time like I did so you really get to know people!